What Three Words - For the dinosaurs here :)

Richard10002

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I have just assumed it is to do with the fact I use a cheap phone as opposed to a trendy up market model.

What make/model?

3 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Moto G9 plus

TBH I would expect that to be fine, its not that old a model, and it can be updated to a relatively recent version of Android (10 I think).

1 hour ago, M_JG said:

TBH I would expect that to be fine, its not that old a model, and it can be updated to a relatively recent version of Android (10 I think).

Currently it is on Android 11.

I have just tried it again it began by having me wander about in the garden and after a couple of minutes decided I was in the living room.

Just now, Jerra said:

I have just tried it again it began by having me wander about in the garden and after a couple of minutes decided I was in the living room.

None of which really matters though if all you need is to get an ambulance close enough to where you are to find you... 😉

Just now, Jerra said:

Terrible..a two year old phone too.

Just now, IanD said:

None of which really matters though if all you need is to get an ambulance close enough to where you are to find you... 😉

Exactly...

They just don't depart if you are not in the precise room your phone says you are. 

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Out here in the Lakes, you can be metres away at times and not see the person/object for weather/terrain type reasons and I am not just talking about up in the fells.

Long time ago, back when affordable bright waterproofs were just becoming available I was out with the Lakes National Parks Head Warden.  He was talking to the group about the need for bright clothing and asked one of the party to go and lie down while he closed his eyes and turned his back.  The person was not in bright clothing and was no more than 5 or 6 metres away.  He couldn't point to him when he turned round.

So there you are injured you send the emergency services the w3w ref and lapse into unconsciousness.  There is a good possibility they will say to themselves "its like that case Keswick MRT had", the casualty was 3 miles as the crow flies from the coordinates.

4 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Out here in the Lakes, you can be metres away at times and not see the person/object for weather/terrain type reasons and I am not just talking about up in the fells.

Long time ago, back when affordable bright waterproofs were just becoming available I was out with the Lakes National Parks Head Warden.  He was talking to the group about the need for bright clothing and asked one of the party to go and lie down while he closed his eyes and turned his back.  The person was not in bright clothing and was no more than 5 or 6 metres away.  He couldn't point to him when he turned round.

So there you are injured you send the emergency services the w3w ref and lapse into unconsciousness.  There is a good possibility they will say to themselves "its like that case Keswick MRT had", the casualty was 3 miles as the crow flies from the coordinates.

So given your phone is hopeless at confirming your precise location what is your suggested alternative?

4 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Nice place to die though to be fair. 

He wouldnt die.

They would find him, they wouldn't just depart given they had an approximate location. To suggest otherwise is utter utter bolocks.

1 minute ago, M_JG said:

So given your phone is hopeless at confirming your precise location what is your suggested alternative?

Well having passed my Mountain Leadership certificate 55 years ago I am " fair to middling" with a map and compass ( having been trained in their use 64 years ago) so I would (knowing my phone isn't accurate for GPS) rely on map reference and bright clothes, as I have done for 60+ years.

• Greenie 1

Just now, Jerra said:

Well having passed my Mountain Leadership certificate 55 years ago I am " fair to middling" with a map and compass ( having been trained in their use 64 years ago) so I would (knowing my phone isn't accurate for GPS) rely on map reference and bright clothes, as I have done for 60+ years.

Yeah but, you just said the casualty was laid in the undergrowth?

Ps I was a Scout too...

3 minutes ago, M_JG said:

Yeah but, you just said the casualty was laid in the undergrowth?

Ps I was a Scout too...

Actually, my first compass and map training was by the national parks, although I was a scout.

Round here if you are off the beaten track it is the rescue team who come looking for you and it is standard practice to search the surrounding area if the casualty isn't immediately obvious.

By the way, it wasn't bushes it was open moorland.

Just now, Jerra said:

Actually, my first compass and map training was by the national parks, although I was a scout.

Round here if you are off the beaten track it is the rescue team who come looking for you and it is standard practice to search the surrounding area if the casualty isn't immediately obvious.

By the way, it wasn't bushes it was open moorland.

Well then.

They will find you no problem. Even if your phone doesnt send a precise location.

Problem sorted.

16 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I was educated using imperial measurement , (and £sd).

The small village primary school I moved to in about 1964 had some rather old text books. When doing the exercises which involved adding together sums of money, we were told that when the sum involved a farthing or three farthings, we were to treat it as a ha'penny. But that did mean the answers in the back of the book were wrong!

15 minutes ago, David Mack said:

The small village primary school I moved to in about 1964 had some rather old text books. When doing the exercises which involved adding together sums of money, we were told that when the sum involved a farthing or three farthings, we were to treat it as a ha'penny. But that did mean the answers in the back of the book were wrong!

In the mid 60's my sister went through a crazy experiment.

Nottinghamshire Education decided that 'correct' spelling was not necessary and that a new alphabet with 'phonetic' spelling was acceptable.

She was taught this way for a full year, when they decided it had been a failure and would revert to 'correct spelling'.

It put her behind for several years until she could catch-up 

BBC News | UK | Educashunal lunacie or wizdom?

1 hour ago, MtB said:

This is to confuse going decimal with going metric, I'd have thought. 

Yes.  Roman numerals were more fun.

Admittedly rather difficult to work out income tax for the foot soldiers and the like which is why the Roman Empire is not renowned for its mathematicians.

Fun facts...

The decimal system is not based, as most people would (probably) say, on the numbers one to ten, it is based on the numbers zero to nine.

The Romans couldn't use the decimal system, or anything like it, because they had no symbol for zero - zero was "invented" around fifteen hundred years ago in India.

• Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

In the mid 60's my sister went through a crazy experiment.

Nottinghamshire Education decided that 'correct' spelling was not necessary and that a new alphabet with 'phonetic' spelling was acceptable.

She was taught this way for a full year, when they decided it had been a failure and would revert to 'correct spelling'.

It put her behind for several years until she could catch-up 

BBC News | UK | Educashunal lunacie or wizdom?

Yes, that rings true. I learned proper spelling but my brother, 4 years younger, suffered the phonetic teaching alphabet. 

1 minute ago, Bacchus said:

Fun facts...

The decimal system is not based, as most people would (probably) say, on the numbers one to ten, it is based on the numbers zero to nine.

The Romans couldn't use the decimal system, or anything like it, because they had no symbol for zero - zero was "invented" around fifteen hundred years ago in India.

Cue a hundred or more posts arguing about whether zero is a number, or not.

I hold that it isn't. 

6 minutes ago, MtB said:

Cue a hundred or more posts arguing about whether zero is a number, or not.

I hold that it isn't. 

Not only is zero a number, but it is an even number.

When 0 is divided by 2, the resulting quotient turns out to also be 0, an integer, thereby it must be an even number. 

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Not only is zero a number, but it is an even number.

When 0 is divided by 2, the resulting quotient turns out to also be 0, an integer, thereby it must be an even number. 

But shirly if you cut 0 in half, the result is n, or u. In much the same way as the square root of -1 is j or i depending on if you are a mathematician or an engineer.

Edited by rusty69