Gas has run out

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

LadyG. 

Serious question. 

You have been a salty water boater in the past. How on earth did you manage that when you don't appear to have the ability to do anything on your boat?

I know, I managed fine, no electric lighting inside.

I paid a good boating guy £600 to sort the boat electrics,  done once done properly.

I paid a proper marine engineer to service engine once a year which never faltered. 

Of course in those days I was able to do most things myself , everything much simpler .

it was the sailing that was interesting, the boat was laid up six months of the year, so relatively speaking an easy life.

Basically  I have no interest in these things on this boat.

I do want the cooker cleaned,  and things checked,  it would be best to replace burners with new, but it seems that will cost about £500, new design and I would not call that servicing, I did contact a local boat hire firm, but they were unhelpful. Ill phone Shire Cruisers instead.

Edited by LadyG

11 minutes ago, IanM said:

As you're living on your boat 24/7 I think you would find things a hell of a lot easier if you became interested in them!

I know, I would find it a lot easier if someone with the tools and the knowhow would do it for me!

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Had you considered moving into a house where it is very simple to 'find a man that can' for any jobs you want doing.

There are some nice flats going in Scotland....................................

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Of course in those days I was able to do most things myself , everything much simpler .

I'm not sure changing a gas bottle has changed!

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Basically  I have no interest in these things on this boat.

Perhaps if you paid more interest in the workings of your home you would find it a more enjoyable experience?

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I know, I would find it a lot easier if someone with the tools and the knowhow would do it for me!

I'm surprised a Scottish single "lady" isn't a little more independent than that!

24 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

I'm not sure changing a gas bottle has changed!

Perhaps if you paid more interest in the workings of your home you would find it a more enjoyable experience?

I'm surprised a Scottish single "lady" isn't a little more independent than that!

I do the painting, the cleaning, the fuelling, and so on, when it suits me, but I don't mix the paint myself, or carry the diesel from the garage, the logs are chopped,  dried , bagged and solid fuel delivered to the well deck,. Gas delivered to the gas locker. I don't have any desire to go to the coal yard, they deliver, I pay.

I can and do change the gas bottle, but I can't carry it from the depot. I usually tip the guy to manhandle it in to the gas locker as I would struggle. 

Edited by LadyG

9 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I do the painting, the cleaning, the fuelling, and so on, when it suits me, but I don't mix the paint myself, or carry the diesel from the garage, the logs are chopped,  dried , bagged and solid fuel delivered to the well deck,. Gas delivered to the gas locker. I don't have any desire to go to the coal yard, they deliver, I pay.

I can and do change the gas bottle, but I can't carry it from the depot. I usually tip the guy to manhandle it in to the gas locker as I would struggle. 

And there was me thinking that gaining a yacht master qualification required a degree of self sufficiency?

10 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

And there was me thinking that gaining a yacht master qualification required a degree of self sufficiency?

It requires some experience of sailing, pilotage etc etc, I don't think boat maintenance is involved. Nowadays the exam only requires one knot, a bowline! The other people on the course, (there is a dedicated course before the exam) were very obviously relatively inexperienced in my opinion, one even had no understanding of compass deviation, magnetic variation, so he should have failed a day skipper course.  It's a very soft course compared to my experience of offshore racing and navigation. I sat mine in the Solent, which one could really navigate using the dinner mats as they showed all the bouys with their numbers. I remember one guy nearly ran us ashore, I could see the lamp posts on the promenade quite clearly. 

Edited by LadyG

5 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Another voice of sanity.  Does that put you in my clique then?

I had a laugh at the idea you were in any sort of clique.

Perhaps we can be a clique of people that don't want to be in a clique.

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I had a laugh at the idea you were in any sort of clique.

Perhaps we can be a clique of people that don't want to be in a clique.

There are two types of people in this world. 

1: Those who divide people into categories, and 2: those who.....

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

There are two types of people in this world. 

1: Those who divide people into categories, and 2: those who.....

Surely there are 10 types of people in the world?

Those who understand binary... 😉

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Surely there are 10 types of people in the world?

Those who understand binary... 😉

I think that joke was made illegal in about 1988....

While we're doing jokes from a bygone age, did you hear about the bod with jelly and cream in one ear, and cake in the other? Went to his doctor who asked "Are you a trifle deaf?"

Or better, the doctor said "I can see your problem immediately. You're not eating properly..." :) 

I’m looking forward to Lady G’s next wind up.

eg can’t get the top off the milk bottle, should she put tea, water or milk in the cup first, should she go through the Harecastle forwards  or backwards.

anyway hats off to her she seems to keep us all amused. I do hope she keeps safe.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Peugeot 106 said:

eg can’t get the top off the milk bottle, should she put tea, water or milk in the cup first, should she go through the Harecastle forwards  or backwards.

anyway hats off to her she seems to keep us all amused. I do hope she keeps safe.

All quiet now, weather much improved,  I might even tackle a few locks next week!

11 hours ago, LadyG said:

It requires some experience of sailing, pilotage etc etc, I don't think boat maintenance is involved. Nowadays the exam only requires one knot, a bowline! The other people on the course, (there is a dedicated course before the exam) were very obviously relatively inexperienced in my opinion, one even had no understanding of compass deviation, magnetic variation, so he should have failed a day skipper course.  It's a very soft course compared to my experience of offshore racing and navigation. I sat mine in the Solent, which one could really navigate using the dinner mats as they showed all the bouys with their numbers. I remember one guy nearly ran us ashore, I could see the lamp posts on the promenade quite clearly. 

"The RYA Yachtmaster™ Certificate of Competence is recognised and respected around the world. An RYA Yachtmaster™ needs a wealth of knowledge, not only to cope with plain sailing or motor cruising but also to be able to cope in demanding situations."

Something doesn't sit right there. RYA yachtmaster fails to change gas bottle on canal boat 🙄

8 hours ago, Peugeot 106 said:

Her next "episode" will no doubt be the next excuse why she can't move anywhere despite the weather being set fair for the foreseeable.

I predict it's the cats fault.

13 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

To be fair to LG, I meet a lot of liveaboards who seem to have no interest in how their homes work. Their engines go unserviced and they sit on shore power in a marina with no idea whether their boat's AC system is N-E bonded and don't care because they don't understand it. When things go wrong they ask questions but then they just glaze over when you try to explain how to fix it.

The difference here is that someone spills some milk on her hob and is then convinced she has a gas leak.

Still it could be worse I suppose, at least LG errs on the side of caution...  I once knew a woman who did have a gas leak so she called a guy in the marina who did boat maintenance and while she waited she lit several scented candles in the boat to mask the smell of gas.

Edited by blackrose
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, blackrose said:

To be fair to LG, I meet a lot of liveaboards who seem to have no interest in how their homes work. Their engines go unserviced and they sit on shore power in a marina with no idea whether their boat's AC system is N-E bonded and don't care because they don't understand it. When things go wrong they ask questions but then they just glaze over when you try to explain how to fix it.

The difference here is that someone spills some milk on her hob and is then convinced she has a gas leak.

Still it could be worse I suppose, at least LG errs on the side of caution...  I once knew a woman who did have a gas leak so she called a guy in the marina who did boat maintenance and while she waited she lit several scented candles in the boat to mask the smell of gas.

Bit of difference being sat in a marina not knowing and being out "travelling " as a "CCer" though? 

Loving the scented candles 🤣🤣🤣

10 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Loving the scented candles 🤣🤣🤣

Yeah, when the guy turned up to check the gas leak and noticed lots of naked flames dotted around the boat he almost had a heart attack!

Some people just shouldn't be living on boats.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

"The RYA Yachtmaster™ Certificate of Competence is recognised and respected around the world. An RYA Yachtmaster™ needs a wealth of knowledge, not only to cope with plain sailing or motor cruising but also to be able to cope in demanding situations."

Something doesn't sit right there. RYA yachtmaster fails to change gas bottle on canal boat 🙄

Her next "episode" will no doubt be the next excuse why she can't move anywhere despite the weather being set fair for the foreseeable.

I predict it's the cats fault.

Pre-requisites to the YM Offshore exams are:

! Candidates must be at least 17 years old

! Candidates must hold a RYA VHF Short Range Certificate or higher

! Candidates must hold a valid First Aid certificates dated within 3 years of the exam

! Recommended minimum sea time: 50 days at sea, 5 of which should be as Skipper 5 x 60nm passages, including 2 as Skipper with night passaging 2,500nm at sea 12 night hours Half the qualifying sea time must be in tidal waters.

There is also a requirement to be able to adapt to differing situations.

Section 4 of the sylabus covers :

4. General seamanship, including maintenance

Of which one of the main critria is the ability to adapt and............ 

• improvisation of jury rigs following gear failure

(which requires a modicum of ability to actually 'do stuff', ie rig a temporary rudder)

10 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

So the moral of the story is that if a gas leak cannot be detected with your nose, it will never get past your eyes (pasteurize). 

Is that a quote from "Ernie - the fastest milkman in the West' ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield