Gas has run out

Featured Posts

OK, well yesterday I could hear a tiny hiss near the stove, but I thought it was just something in my ears, as sometimes happens.

No smell of gas.

Flame seemed a bit weak.

No gas at the cooker this a.m. 

I know the Flogas spare is empty because I can roll it around, the Calor which was connected is a bit of a beast, but as it was purchased only three months ago, probably connected six weeks ago and it should be nearly full. I'm not sure.

I've now turned it off at the bottle.

The other day I was cleaning the grill area, including the bit that flames, so it is possible I have managed to make a gas leak in that area which would account for the hiss and for loss of all gas but not for lack of smell of gas.

It's a Thetford Classic Caprice 2000 cooker. 

I don't think I could expect a normal boat fitter to deal with this.

I am going to phone my BSS examiner as he is the only person I know who has this sort of experience, or will all boat gas bods have the know how?

I'm near Elland Wharf.

Also need to get a Flogas bottle so at least I know I've got a method to test for a leak.

Any local knowledge?

Edited by LadyG

17 minutes ago, LadyG said:

OK, well yesterday I could hear a tiny hiss near the stove, but I thought it was just something in my ears, as sometimes happens.

No smell of gas.

Flame seemed a bit weak.

I know the Flogas spare is empty because I can roll it around, the Calor which was connected is a bit of a beast, but as it was purchased only three months ago, probably connected six weeks ago and it should be nearly full. I'm not sure.

The other day I was cleaning the grill area, including the bit that flames, so it is possible I have managed to make a gas leak in that area which would account for the hiss and for loss of all gas but not for lack of smell of gas.

I am going to phone my BSS examiner as he is the only person I know who has this sort of experience, or will all boat gas bods have the know how?

I'm near Elland Wharf.

Also need to get a Flogas bottle so at least I know I've got a method to test for a leak.

Any local knowledge?

I assume that your cooker is older than 3 years?. Thetford guarantee their cookers for three years. That's not "return to base".

I had mine 2 years and on two occasions they sent an engineer...canal side....to mend it. 

20 minutes ago, LadyG said:

No smell of gas.

Flame seemed a bit weak.

I'm near Elland Wharf.

Any local knowledge?

Just a suggestion, but it is normal practice that once one cylinder is empty and the other one connected - get the empty one exchanged so you don't run out completely.

• Greenie 2

10 minutes ago, Bobbybass said:

I assume that your cooker is older than 3 years?. Thetford guarantee their cookers for three years. That's not "return to base".

I had mine 2 years and on two occasions they sent an engineer...canal side....to mend it. 

Building on this suggestion, most manufacturers with engineers 'on the road' will also attend their appliances which are out of warranty, on a chargeable basis. Often a fixed charge whatever the fault. 

So its still worth giving Thetford a call to ask. 

Although on reflection, I've an idea Thetford have a policy of not answering the phone to the general public - or maybe I dreamed that.

25 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Helpless.

You mean me?

I've found Union Plumbing and Heating at Ellan but obviously they are closed untill Monday. They seem pretty big organisation.

I certainly don't want to replace the cooker. I wonder if I can just have the grill alone disconnected as I don't use it, but I remember the BSS guy did test all flames.

Edited by LadyG

34 minutes ago, LadyG said:

No smell of gas.

Flame seemed a bit weak.

I'm near Elland Wharf.

Any local knowledge?

Ask the local boaters moored opposite you about the gas bottle refill. Local Morrison’s do LPG (nod wink) I’ve got a safefille so not a problem ATM until they stop selling it in the future 😩

Just now, Jon57 said:

Ask the local boaters moored opposite you about the gas bottle refill. Local Morrison’s do LPG (nod wink) I’ve got a safefille so not a problem ATM until they stop selling it in the future 😩

Thanks, but I'm just wanting a delivery, enough hassle as it is without asking for problems.

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

You mean me?

I've found Union Plumbing and Heating at Ellan but obviously they are closed. They seem pretty big organisation.

Big, yes, in plumbing and central heating. Not may such companies deal with cookers, and I expect even fewer are qualified for LPG AND marine. I found that it was no more expensive to pay for the manufacturer's fixed price service than use one of the very few locals who were willing to tackle a cooker. That was for domestic gas, not LPG and not endorsed marine.

5 hours ago, MtB said:

Building on this suggestion, most manufacturers with engineers 'on the road' will also attend their appliances which are out of warranty, on a chargeable basis. Often a fixed charge whatever the fault. 

So its still worth giving Thetford a call to ask. 

Although on reflection, I've an idea Thetford have a policy of not answering the phone to the general public - or maybe I dreamed that.

You did not dream it, I tried to call about a cassette.

I do remember speaking to a lady from a spares company and who was expert in these cookersabout getting new things for the rings, but they were horrendously expensive just for vanity upgrade.

Edited by LadyG

43 minutes ago, LadyG said:

No smell of gas.

^^^ This ^^^ is by FAR the most worrying aspect of this thread.

A gas leak you can't smell. Suggests to me your Flogas bottle was refilled without any mercaptan (the chemical that smells) added to the gas. 

And by extension, given the leak was not smelling but your gas bottle has emptied and LPG is (a lot) heavier than air, its probably all in your bilge.

I think you need to take great care until you resolve this. Let the stove go out, don't operate any electrical switches or light any gas rings or anything else. Find out where missing gas has gone. Get your head down in the bilge and have a good sniff. 

Just now, Nightwatch said:

More importantly is what was the ‘hiss’ near the cooker?

A slightly displaced grill burner due to cleaning and now the gas has simply run out.   Shake the bottle.

Helpless as you should never have 2 empty bottles.

Just now, Tony Brooks said:

Big, yes, in plumbing and central heating. Not may such companies deal with cookers, and I expect even fewer are qualified for LPG AND marine. I found that it was no more expensive to pay for the manufacturer's fixed price service than use one of the very few locals who were willing to tackle a cooker. That was for domestic gas, not LPG and not endorsed marine.

I see they do caravans, and a lot of other stuff. They will know the person who can do this.

The Gas Safe Register is unhelpful finding a boat safe person, I will have to wait two days anyway.

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

The Gas Safe Register is unhelpful finding a boat safe person,

No it isn't. It lists them all. 

You can filter your results according to qualification (or could last time I looked), but it is not immediately obvious how. 

Look harder!

7 minutes ago, MtB said:

A gas leak you can't smell. Suggests to me your Flogas bottle was refilled without any mercaptan (the chemical that smells) added to the gas. 

And by extension, given the leak was not smelling but your gas bottle has emptied and LPG is (a lot) heavier than air, its probably all in your bilge.

Maybe Lady G "has no nose" since she (thought) she has Covid.

(My dog has no nose,

How does it smell

Terrible)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

9 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

A slightly displaced grill burner due to cleaning and now the gas has simply run out.   Shake the bottle.

Helpless as you should never have 2 empty bottles.

I generally have the spare replaced asap , but was bit short of cash last month. 

Yes the grill burner must be displaced. Not sure if that is a big job.

11 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

More importantly is what was the ‘hiss’ near the cooker?

Obviously I think it was a gas leak, just strange no smell. Might have drained straight to bilge via the cooker and never went in to cabin, but I store my pots under the grill, so that compartment is opened every day often several times per day.

Edited by LadyG

3 minutes ago, haggis said:

Do you not need different regulators for Flogas and Calor ? I ask because I had Flogas in my caravan and had to get a new regulator when I changed.

Only different for butane (blue bottles). Red propane bottles will use the same POL connectors as Calor.

AIUI.

• Happy 1

18 minutes ago, MtB said:

^^^ This ^^^ is by FAR the most worrying aspect of this thread.

I think you need to take great care until you resolve this. Let the stove go out, don't operate any electrical switches or light any gas rings or anything else. Find out where missing gas has gone. Get your head down in the bilge and have a good sniff. 

It was connected to the Calor not the Flogas. The Flogas is the spare at the moment.

I'm having a think.

Have you heard of a batch of Calor being delivered without mercaptan?

Do Calor have a contact line ?

Presumably using the Webasto is not an option?

Fire has been running during the time one might expect any gas to be in cabin. I'm inclined to open all doors and windows, but I'm going to have to get gas delivery as as the first step, 

Edited by LadyG

Is your sense of smell reduced or gone since getting covid? Can you borrow a nose from a nearby boater? 

And no don't use the Webasto until you're sure you don't have a bilge full of leaked gas

5 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Have you heard of a batch of Calor being delivered without mercaptan?

Do Calor have a contact line ?

Presumably using the Webasto is not an option?

Fire has been running during the time one might expect any gas to be in cabin. I'm inclined to open all doors and windows

No

No

Correct

Yes, do

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Is your sense of smell reduced or gone since getting covid? Can you borrow a nose from a nearby boater? 

And no don't use the Webasto until you're sure you don't have a bilge full of leaked gas

I don't think I got COVID, not noticed any loss of sense of smell , which is normally very acute.

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I don't think I got COVID, not noticed any loss of sense of smell , which is normally very acute.

In that case you're probably perfectly capable of smelling leaked gas and its all a false alarm. 

Try opening the valve on the unconnected empty gas bottle in your gas locker, and see if you can smell the residual gas which will waft out

Edited by MtB