Gas has run out

Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, MtB said:

No it isn't. It lists them all. 

You can filter your results according to qualification (or could last time I looked), but it is not immediately obvious how. 

Look harder!

I know I had the same problem when I wanted a BSS examiner, and did eventually find one.

I have not had anyone answering their phone yet, so I think I'll concentrate on getting a gas bottle.

A 13kg Calor bottle wouldn't last more than six weeks of normal use,  surely? If it's that size, it's probably just empty which is why the flame was weak and now not there. You can usually tell by the weight - if it's easy to lift, it's empty. Much more likely than a total cooker failure I'd have thunk.

• Greenie 3

27 minutes ago, MtB said:

No it isn't. It lists them all. 

You can filter your results according to qualification (or could last time I looked), but it is not immediately obvious how. 

Look harder!

Answering my own post, I just had a search on the GSR site. 

I agree with you, they've changed it from very helpful to completely useless since I last visited. I can't find any boat bods around Elland or Brighouse either. 

• Love 1

1 minute ago, MtB said:

I agree with you, they've changed it from very helpful to completely useless since I last visited. I can't find any boat bods around Elland or Brighouse either. 

You do not need a GSR fitter to change a gas bottle. If you get a fitter in to look at the stove, how can he if you have no gas? Do you want him to carry a bottle to your boat as well as  put the grill burner back in its slot in the cooker?

Come on woman, brace up and sort yourself out.

• Greenie 1
  • Unimpressed 1

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

You do not need a GSR fitter to change a gas bottle. If you get a fitter in to look at the stove, how can he if you have no gas? Do you want him to carry a bottle to your boat as well as  put the grill burner back in its slot in the cooker?

Come on woman, brace up and sort yourself out.

I thought she was looking for a GSR boat bod to trace and fix the suspected leak on the cooker.

But with the lack of a smell of gas I'm doubtful there is a leak to find. 

A competent gas bod can charge the system with air for testing if there is no gas in the bottles. But it will need testing again once purged and filled with gas later.

A good plan is to get a regulator with a gauge on it, ''I have a Gaslow one''. Not only for showing you how much gas is left in the bottle. Also very good for doing a simple soundness test. First turn of your appliances,''not at they;re isolaters just at the appliances burners own knobs, open gas locker and turn off the gas bottle, watch the gauge,'' I find it pretty sensetive and accurate'' if it visibly goes down fast you have a bad leak,]. Ideally the gauges needle should not move. This is a pretty good simple test. I do it regularly.

• Happy 1

37 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Yes the grill burner must be displaced. Not sure if that is a big job.

A displaced grill burner will not be leaking gas. The grill burner is downstream of the ON/OFF gas grill control knob.

• Happy 1

Just now, MtB said:

A displaced grill burner will not be leaking gas. The grill burner is downstream of the ON/OFF gas grill control knob.

No, it won't obviously, but if she has displaced it putting the venturis out of line with the jet whilst cleaning it could make a noise and have a weak flame when in use.  Are the burners in this cooker lift out ones? I have never had one.

Assuming you haven’t got an Alde leak detector (or a manometer etc)  you can make up a solution of 10% washing up liquid / water. If you brush this over the pipes, valves, joints etc you may find a leak. Bubbles will appear.

You can buy leak gas leak detector in spray or bottles ( Screwfix etc) and this is slightly less messy. Some people say washing up liquid damages the copper but loads of people use it. If you’ve been knocking pipes it’s not a bad idea to give them a quick squirt to check that you’ve not broken any joints in any case to be sure

Take care. Gas leaks on boats can be dangerous. I’d have thought most boaters were familiar with the problem can you not ask a nearby boat for a second opinion? Most people want to help and will understand that you are worried

If there is a gas leak, it is a matter of great concern and danger.

But, on the other hand, if the gas bottle has merely been fully used, it just needs to be swapped.  Do we know the capacity of the cylinder that was installed about six weeks ago?  It might give a slight clue as to what is the issue.

1kg per week for cooking only might be a starting point of sorts; water heating and space heating would use more?

4 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I don't know about the caprice 2000, but the grill on my 2040 (I think) was fixed in place, as were the hob and oven burners. Very different to the older cookers I was familiar with.

Indeed. My now very old Super Calor has removeable cast iron burners, stripped and cleaned them yesterday, discovered a very slight gas leak from one of the knob controls have ordered a tube of gas grease to fix it, should be here on Monday.

39 minutes ago, MtB said:

Clunky, but tweaking the search options produced this.

Screenshot_20230415-101852_SamsungInternet.jpg.ece706572625797d1ecdfc795bf69ecb.jpg

7 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Indeed. My now very old Super Calor has removeable cast iron burners, stripped and cleaned them yesterday, discovered a very slight gas leak from one of the knob controls have ordered a tube of gas grease to fix it, should be here on Monday.

We had a gas bod around many years ago. He convinced me that gas hob knobs (no biscuits included) required annual greasing. At great expense, I went and bought a tube of molykote gas cock grease. 

Never have I felt the need to use it. 

Yours for a packet of chocolate hob knobs. 

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

A 13kg Calor bottle wouldn't last more than six weeks of normal use,  surely? If it's that size, it's probably just empty which is why the flame was weak and now not there. You can usually tell by the weight - if it's easy to lift, it's empty. Much more likely than a total cooker failure I'd have thunk.

No I only use two bottles per year, I can easily lift the Flogas which is empty, but because I've not been at a road and the account would not work I've not had it replaced, anyway delivery is arranged. The Calor bottle is quite heavy, not sure if it is empty. 

PS I had to create a new account with Flogas ( by speaking to a real person) as the previous account has disappeared, which is why I could not get an online order on my previous attempts.  Anyway lesson learned, I've written the account number in my log book and I'll also write down the password when I activate online. I think they set up the account at the first delivery address, which was not what I wanted.

5 minutes ago, LadyG said:

The Calor bottle is quite heavy, not sure if it is empty. 

If you look carefully, the "tare weight" of the gas bottle will be marked on it somewhere. Often stamped into an aluminium ring around the valve.

Tare is the weight of the empty bottle so weigh it with say bathroom scales, subtract the tare weight on the label and that tells you how much gas is (or isn't) still in the gas bottle. 

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Whe n my changeover valve failed and I ran out completely, I grumbled to a boat behind me and they kindly sold me their full spare bottle as they would be able to pick one up the next day. Might be worth asking.

I'm out in the sticks at the moment, well, a mile from a road, I can manage for a few days. The problem is not the empty gas bottle, the problem is suspected gas leak at stove.

I have no idea how to service the gas cooker, so it has probably never been done. I recently used a brush to remove any dirt the other day, and possibly displaced a gas junction. That has to be the priority, but I think I need gas for it to be tested.

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I'm out in the sticks at the moment, well, a mile from a road, I can manage for a few days. The problem is not the empty gas bottle, the problem is suspected gas leak at stove.

I have no idea how to service the gas cooker, so it has probably never been done. I recently used a brush to remove any dirt the other day, and possibly displaced a gas junction. That has to be the priority, but I think I need gas for it to be tested.

Or a Canary. :)

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

If you look carefully, the "tare weight" of the gas bottle will be marked on it somewhere. Often stamped into an aluminium ring around the valve.

Tare is the weight of the empty bottle so weigh it with say bathroom scales, subtract the tare weight on the label and that tells you how much gas is (or isn't) still in the gas bottle. 

Lol, bathroom scales!

, I'll have to get a man to sort the cooker so he can check the lot, I am next to a Calor supplier so no problem getting another, I usually give the delivery driver £2.00 for putting it in the gas locker. He'll have to take the empty back.

Just now, bizzard said:

Or a Canary. :)

Most likely the cat would kill it. 

9 minutes ago, MtB said:

Or pick up the bottle and shake it. If there is any gas left it will be in liquid form and you will be able to hear/feel it sloshing around inside.