Liverpool, Salthouse Dock moorings.

Neil TNC

Featured Posts

A couple of weeks ago Mrs TNC made a 7 night booking for Salthouse. Last night she tried to change pontoon as with new puppy, we needed one near steps. Distaster. Now charged 10 quid a night as from April, ANY booking for pontoon now 10 quid a night, due to new regulations. Have we mised anything on this?...has there been any "consultation", like Llangollen mooring basin?

yeah, I spotted that the other day and wondered how I'd missed the kerfuffle about it!

Turns my plan to spend a week there into "I guess I could pop down there for a night or maybe even two for the fun of it, but then I think I'll find another mooring if I want to spend longer in Liverpool". Not sure if the moorings were full before and tbf it still sounds much, much better value than some of the awful £10 a night EA moorings on the Thames, but I hope their revenue projections account for the fact that lots of people went there because it was amazing what you could get for nothing!

If they're expecting people to book and pay for the bang average towpath moorings in the middle of a city with more miles of canal than Venice they'll be even more disappointed...

To be honest I was surprised when we moored there in 2012 that it was free. I was surprised that it was still free when we moored there again in 2017. It is a great city centre mooring with unmetered electricity. I think it's worth a tenner a night. It's a bit underhand though to just introduce it like this.

We have two bookings of 7 days, 6 weeks apart, inbetween booked Ribble Links, for Lanky, we may or may not use both. The later mooring, into July is still shown as no charge. It will be interesting to see if this says free, or CaRT come after us for another 70 quid. Mrs TNC will go home for a few days, when we are in Liverpool. We are setting off on 1st April, 24 years to the day when NB Earnest was launched. The ideal plan is to do Caldon / Macc / Peak Forest / HNC / L&L, of course any of this could fail, have stoppages, hence the two Lverpool bookings. From what we have heard from CaRT Standedge, the bookings for Standedge Tunnel will come on line mid March, with same frequency / days of the week as last year....that is if they have any more chaperones than poor overworked Trevor. In all my years of boating, if we have gone up north we have always done a trans pennine, the year that this does not occur will be the one when we decide to give up. Last year got close, with a rather fraught Rochhale, one of the last of the summer, when I say fraught, this was not due to lack of water, but complete abandonment by CaRT, once we were over the summit. getting back on topic....we do not particularly have a problem with the 10 quid, as we know the power is at least 13A, seeing as in the past, we have had the immersion on and also done the washing (same as Llangollen Basin), I do have a problem with booking it, only a week or so ago, and it being free, then to be charged for just changing pontoon.

• Greenie 1

Bristol harbour is currently:

Short Term Applicable from 1st April 2022

• 24 Hours per metre £2.20

• 48 Hours per metre £3.75

• 7 Days per metre £9.95

• 15 Days per metre £15.70

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

• 7 Days per metre £9.95

It's being increased shortly

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

• 7 Days per metre £9.95

Reminds me of the advice I got re: Bristol. 

"Get a bus there and buy a harbour cruise with dinner and it'll still be cheaper than taking your boat down there..." :D 

• Greenie 1

I've just seen a post on facebook from someone who had booked a free mooring in Liverpool and is now being told they have to pay the £10 per night or cancel the booking.

I think the £10 rate is fair and we will definitely visit again but the way CRT have gone about it is bad. They should at the least have put the charge on thier booking system before people started booking for this year.

On 05/03/2023 at 16:28, Naughty Cal said:

£10 a night is dirt cheap for a city centre mooring with electric. 

If only the van floated!

It is costing us £25 a night with no electric to park in a parking bay just up the road at Liverpool Yacht Club.

And well worth the money.

• 1 month later...

On the subject of alternative moorings for if I fancy more nights in Liverpool than I want to pay for a shiny pontoon mooring, does anyone actually use the ring moorings at Eldonian Village before the Stanley Locks now? Looks like a decent mooring, but apparently the attached estate doesn't have the best reputation with Liverpudlians

We moored there quite a few years ago. It was fine.

I think it's one of the recommended moorings on the night before going down the locks to the docks.

The basin isn't wide enough to turn a 58' boat. DAMHIKT

2 minutes ago, Richard T said:

We booked before the charges were introduced. We were then charged but because of the way CRT had handled this we were later  refunded!!

Yes, we got our 140 quid back, now all we have to do is make the 2 bookings, each side of going on the Lanky, via Caldon, Macc, Peak Forest, Huddersfield Narrow and Leeds and Liverpool. Currently on schedule waiting for Saturday Bosley opening.

• 10 months later...
On 20/04/2023 at 09:57, enigmatic said:

On the subject of alternative moorings for if I fancy more nights in Liverpool than I want to pay for a shiny pontoon mooring, does anyone actually use the ring moorings at Eldonian Village before the Stanley Locks now? Looks like a decent mooring, but apparently the attached estate doesn't have the best reputation with Liverpudlians

Did you try these out? I'm wondering what good options there are for mooring in Liverpool. We're crossing the Mersey in April and can't really justify the £15/night (as of April 2024) for more than a night or two but would like to hang around in Liverpool for a couple of weeks.

34 minutes ago, Ewan123 said:

Did you try these out? I'm wondering what good options there are for mooring in Liverpool. We're crossing the Mersey in April and can't really justify the £15/night (as of April 2024) for more than a night or two but would like to hang around in Liverpool for a couple of weeks.

I didn't use them and nor did anyone else as far as I could see. Surrounding area a mix of 90s estate that's prettier than its reputation, flats abandoned mid construction, and light industrial. I've stayed in much more unattractive bits of Birmingham, but wasn't warned against them! IIRC there are rings in Bootle too, but again not a recommended area.

Booked two nights in Salthouse Dock and ended up paying for more, it is very good and I don't bother paying elsewhere. 

Litherland was gated and but very busy and the only good bit about the surrounds is the supermarket, and Maghull looks pleasant enough but you'd need the bus in from both.

7 hours ago, enigmatic said:

I didn't use them and nor did anyone else as far as I could see. Surrounding area a mix of 90s estate that's prettier than its reputation, flats abandoned mid construction, and light industrial. I've stayed in much more unattractive bits of Birmingham, but wasn't warned against them! IIRC there are rings in Bootle too, but again not a recommended area.

Booked two nights in Salthouse Dock and ended up paying for more, it is very good and I don't bother paying elsewhere. 

Litherland was gated and but very busy and the only good bit about the surrounds is the supermarket, and Maghull looks pleasant enough but you'd need the bus in from both.

Thanks 

11 hours ago, Ewan123 said:

When we did the Mersey into Liverpool in 2021 and booked the locking off the river at Brunswick Lock into Liverpool Marina, they asked if we wanted to stay there for a few nights at £60 a night! Having already pre-booked a week at Salthouse we obviously declined the offer.