Water in bilge

YSA

Featured Posts

Hi everyone! I've been away for a week (have had someone boat sitting so engine has been used to charge batteries, no cruising) and have just seen that my engine bilge has a lot of water in it! Header tank has water in it and Ive had a quick look around and nothing obvious seems to be leaking.

The stern gland bilge is also very full, I've been having issues with that because a nut is loose on the stern gland, but it's fine with tightening it before and after cruising but there is also a lot of water in there.

Any ideas what might be going on?

1 minute ago, YSA said:

Hi everyone! I've been away for a week (have had someone boat sitting so engine has been used to charge batteries, no cruising) and have just seen that my engine bilge has a lot of water in it! Header tank has water in it and Ive had a quick look around and nothing obvious seems to be leaking.

The stern gland bilge is also very full, I've been having issues with that because a nut is loose on the stern gland, but it's fine with tightening it before and after cruising but there is also a lot of water in there.

What type of stern?

If it's a cruiser stern or semi trad with no cover it could just be rain water??

Domestic water leak from calorifier or PRV

Is the cabin bilge separate from the engine bilge? 

Is, there a separate compartment beneath the engine? 

Is the water in both of these compartments? 

Edited by rusty69

12 minutes ago, M_JG said:

What type of stern?

If it's a cruiser stern or semi trad with no cover it could just be rain water?

It's covered and as far as I'm aware it hasn't been raining recently!

8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Domestic water leak from calorifier or PRV

Just checked the calorfier itself and the pipes that connect to the engine and can't see any leaking - would it be coming from somewhere in particular?

18 minutes ago, YSA said:

It's covered and as far as I'm aware it hasn't been raining recently!

Just checked the calorfier itself and the pipes that connect to the engine and can't see any leaking - would it be coming from somewhere in particular?

There will be a pressure relief valve on the feed from the calorifier, they usually have a red knob on.  This may be piped to the bilge so any water released goes into the bilges.

43 minutes ago, Bod said:

What exactly has the boat sitter been asked to do?

Have they "helped" with engine maintance?

Have they had any issues, or problems, if so what have they done to "solve" these issues?

Bod

I contacted them and they said they hadn't noticed anything

39 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

There will be a pressure relief valve on the feed from the calorifier, they usually have a red knob on.  This may be piped to the bilge so any water released goes into the bilges.

Thanks, I'll have a look

4 hours ago, YSA said:

Are you calling the engine drip tray "the bilge" Because typically the surround of the drip tray and about 4 to 6" high so unless the bilge filled to more than that the only thing that can fill the drip tray is rain through a cruiser stern deck boards or a leak from the engine.

The bilge eihter side of the drip tray/engine beds is almost certainly connected to what you call the stern gland drip tray so it is all one piece.

The talk of a nut working loose makes me suspect the shaft is not aligned with the engine (Unless you have an Aquadrive coupling). If it is out of alignment then it will cause vibration plus shaft/gland wear, so I suspect the water is coming from the stern gland.

Most stern glands with nuts on they use two pairs of nuts, the adjusting nut and a locking nut, have you lost a nut?

5 hours ago, YSA said:

Did they run the engine in gear every day and not tighten it

Unless you can hear your domestic water pump cycling for no reason I doubt it's a plumbing leak.

As you've been having issues with your stern gland recently it sounds like it might be a leaky stern gland. Have you tried running the engine in gear and having a look down there? Keep your hands and legs away from the prop shaft coupling while it's spinning.

15 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Are you calling the engine drip tray "the bilge" Because typically the surround of the drip tray and about 4 to 6" high so unless the bilge filled to more than that the only thing that can fill the drip tray is rain through a cruiser stern deck boards or a leak from the engine.

The bilge eihter side of the drip tray/engine beds is almost certainly connected to what you call the stern gland drip tray so it is all one piece.

The talk of a nut working loose makes me suspect the shaft is not aligned with the engine (Unless you have an Aquadrive coupling). If it is out of alignment then it will cause vibration plus shaft/gland wear, so I suspect the water is coming from the stern gland.

Most stern glands with nuts on they use two pairs of nuts, the adjusting nut and a locking nut, have you lost a nut?

Both nuts are on there and it was recently looked at by an engineer who came to sort what I thought was engine trouble - they said the threaded bar and bolts needed to be changed but it wasn't urgent and to keep an eye on it making sure it was tightened (they didn't have the right kind of bar to change it themselves) 

I've taken all the water out now so pictures wouldn't do much! Ran the engine in gear yesterday after getting rid of the water and there didn't seem to be any drips or any water.

Stern gland nut is tight and the boat has been in the same place (cruising is what usually loosens the nut), so that's part of the confusion! 

7 minutes ago, YSA said:

I've taken all the water out now so pictures wouldn't do much! Ran the engine in gear yesterday after getting rid of the water and there didn't seem to be any drips or any water.

Stern gland nut is tight and the boat has been in the same place (cruising is what usually loosens the nut), so that's part of the confusion! 

Do you use the greaser to stern gland, after running it in gear? Some drips from stern glands are worse than others.    

1 hour ago, Higgs said:

Do you use the greaser to stern gland, after running it in gear? Some drips from stern glands are worse than others.    

I suspect the boat sitter might have forgotten to do this! I'm going to keep an eye on it for the next few days and if it happens again even after greasing it then I'll get it looked at.

Thanks everyone ☺️

3 hours ago, YSA said:

Actually it would do some good. It would allow us to see exactly what type of stern gland you have, there are many types, all slightly different.  It might even be possible to comment on the suggestion that you need new studs, that seems a bit suspect to me.

I don't understand you saying both nuts are on there and also one nut works loose. If there are lock nuts I don't see how a single nut can work loose. If there are no lock nuts (that is two nuts on each stud) but there are single self-locking nuts that are worn out then they may work loose. However, if the gland leaks after every run then maybe the shaft and/or glans is worn, or it needs repacking. Anyway, try the greaser for now and see how it goes.

• Greenie 1

39 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Actually it would do some good. It would allow us to see exactly what type of stern gland you have, there are many types, all slightly different.  It might even be possible to comment on the suggestion that you need new studs, that seems a bit suspect to me.

I don't understand you saying both nuts are on there and also one nut works loose. If there are lock nuts I don't see how a single nut can work loose. If there are no lock nuts (that is two nuts on each stud) but there are single self-locking nuts that are worn out then they may work loose. However, if the gland leaks after every run then maybe the shaft and/or glans is worn, or it needs repacking. Anyway, try the greaser for now and see how it goes.

I'll take some pictures when I'm back on the boat then! I spoke to the boat sitter and she's been greasing the stern gland so that's not the issue.

It wouldn't surprise me if it is the stern gland that needs redoing, it's been a whole thing.