Insurance Company Recommendation?

The Wind Lass

Featured Posts

Some insurers require a survey every few years for boats that reach a certain age. Haven Knox-Johnston currently don't ask for this , as long as they have a survey they don't require further surveys as long as you stay with them . In my case the survey they had on file from a previous owner sufficed. The premium isn't too bad either. 

4 hours ago, The Wind Lass said:

Evening, 

I'm looking for a reliable boat insurance company to insure a live aboard narrowboat. Which have been easy to work with, responsive, etc?

Thank you for any input. 

You sound like you're expecting to claim a lot! 

Craftinsure again, good to deal with, not expensive, have an agreed value policy with them, rare.

The advantage of being on here at this ridiculous time is that I am alone, all the idiots are asleep!

Edited by Tracy D'arth
  • Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Craftinsure again, good to deal with, not expensive, have an agreed value policy with them, rare.

The advantage of being on here at this ridiculous time is that I am alone, all the idiots are asleep!

Dunno what you are talking about, I'm wide awake

26 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Dunno what you are talking about, I'm wide awake

But you are still not online! I have to be up, watching an auction in Hong Kong for boats, don't ask. Besides with the latest meds. sleep comes very sparingly and at the wrong times.

Back on topic. I have been with Craftinsure three years, I am not too happy about the amount insured for personal effects, other than that very happy. The premium varies with value of boat and size of excess, as can be seen on application form.

The reason they are cheaper than others is that it's essentially online, thus saving on overheads.

I had a claim, they treated me fairly, no fuss, prompt payment. The premium then rose from £12.85pcm to £17.75 pcm, which is probably still cheaper than most.

They are essentially online, but they do use the telephone if necessary. I always deal with any similar company by email, anyway, so there is no doubt as to our agreement.

I  see no reason to change from Craftinsure. 

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Back on topic. I have been with Craftinsure three years, I am not too happy about the amount insured for personal effects, other than that very happy. The premium varies with value of boat and size of excess, as can be seen on application form.

The reason they are cheaper than others is that it's essentially online, thus saving on overheads.

I had a claim, they treated me fairly, no fuss, prompt payment. The premium then rose from £12.85pcm to £17.75 pcm, which is probably still cheaper than most.

They are essentially online, but they do use the telephone if necessary. I always deal with any similar company by email, anyway, so there is no doubt as to our agreement.

I  see no reason to change from Craftinsure. 

Is that for comprehensive cover? And what is the value of the boat if you don't mind me asking. Also how much is the excess. I've been with them for 10yrs and mine is a lot more than that and not ever had a claim 🤔

3 hours ago, Jon57 said:

Is that for comprehensive cover? And what is the value of the boat if you don't mind me asking. Also how much is the excess. I've been with them for 10yrs and mine is a lot more than that and not ever had a claim 🤔

£51K, £400, Comprehensive. 

Edited by LadyG

2 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Bloody hell, that's nearly double mine with GJW even with the 25% NCD removed.

I guess being moored in a marina on a river has its advantages .

£400 is the excess, not the premium.

The premium before the claim was about £144, that was three years ago, when I was in a marina. I did not realise one would be more expensive than the other.

10 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Bloody hell, that's nearly double mine with GJW even with the 25% NCD removed.

I guess being moored in a marina on a river has its advantages .

"It could be an age thing" young and old are a higher risk than 'middle aged', so the excesses are set higher.

My Fathers insurance went sky high when he hit 80, and I ended up taking the insurance out with him as a named 'driver'. He started to get a 'bit dangerous' so I eventually took the keys off him 

Edited by Alan de Enfield

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

"It could be an age thing" young and old are a higher risk than 'middle aged', so the excesses are set higher.

My Fathers insurance went sky high when he hit 80, and I ended up taking the insurance out with him as a named 'driver'. He started to get a 'bit dangerous' so I eventually took the keys off him 

I'll have to worry about that next year, then.

• 5 months later...

Just has my renewal notice from Towergate. 40% more expensive than last year and a £50 charge for each RCR callout.

Just swapped to GJW. Same cover 49% cheaper (and £a few quid cheaper than last years Towergate) but also have to pay them £50 per RCR callout.