Where I am

Heartland

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Ryders Green top lock

I looked at a photo on canalplan of Ryders Green top lock and the pipe didn't look right against Goliath's photo.

Has anybody worked out where the rowing boat is? And yes it is a ferry across the Harbour, near this spot was a dock for somewhat larger ferries that used to go to the only part of Britain occupied by the Germans.

Now another BCN related question where is this?

Weldall.jpg

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

You googled Weldall Fabrications as well?🙂

Ha ha yes

well…obvious starting point 😃

that’s why I like this thread, it does get you looking and discovering a bit of history you might not otherwise know,

even if you’re looking in the wrong place. 

Edited by Goliath

1 hour ago, Pluto said:

How many inland waterways are seen here?

aerial.jpg

I think the three obvious ones are the Sankey Canal, Manchester Ship Canal and River Mersey (navigable as far as Warrington??).

Somewhere in the distance I suspect is the Bridgewater.

1 hour ago, Pluto said:

How many inland waterways are seen here?

aerial.jpg

2 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I think the three obvious ones are the Sankey Canal, Manchester Ship Canal and River Mersey (navigable as far as Warrington??).

Plus St Helen’s Canal?

2 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Is that a different thing to the Sankey?

I’m sure we’ll get an answer to that shortly.

I lived near St Helens for the first 8 years of my life and still have relatives there.

The St Helens Canal as I knew it, was the bit of the Sankey that went past the Pilkingtons Glass Works. Pilks (as it was known locally) used the canal water for their glass making and returned it back at high temperature, making that section of the canal steam throughout the year. 

On 19/10/2022 at 18:06, Captain Pegg said:

The answer was the Bentley Canal. The remaining stub of which at Wednesfield is little more than a 70’ boat long and there were two boats there overnight.

Apologies that I seem to have overlooked the history element to this thread but a (99.9%) abandoned canal kind of fits.

So today for the third day in a row I’ve reached the truncated end of a one time longer navigation. This one is a familiar name, but more than likely to be mispronounced.

Always stop the night in the Bentley when passing through the area, great spot. 

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

I lived near St Helens for the first 8 years of my life and still have relatives there.

The St Helens Canal as I knew it, was the bit of the Sankey that went past the Pilkingtons Glass Works. Pilks (as it was known locally) used the canal water for their glass making and returned it back at high temperature, making that section of the canal steam throughout the year. 

And I thought you were a southerner who braved a move to the 'north'.

15 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

There is one more, and you cannot see the (official) Sankey, only the St Helens Canal, the later extension of the Sankey down to Widnes.