Where I am

Heartland

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Another river bridge. This one was completed in 1907 and is steel. It replaced an earlier iron bridge, and that bridge replaced one of timber.

505721.jpg

Well, I do know that’s NOT Tipton.  

…because there ain’t the outta date sign for Caggy’s price of diesel nailed to centre. 

• Greenie 1

Lovely part of the River just up from the bridge. Nuneham house and estate is beautiful. I found the remains of an old lock cottage in the woods there. Some walls but not a lot. 

It is my belief this is where the famous Lady of Shalott painting was based.  

The grounds of the Nuneham estate are to die for. 

This looks like the island at Nuneham to me

IMG_20230430_174041.jpg.ebf92c9db57e37498afb3301b4fdcac1.jpg

Edited by magnetman
fix picture

47 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Captain Ahab has the picture captioned as "Central Avenue Aqueduct - late 1960's (Ian Husselbee)" but I can't find where that is.

This is Puppy Green Aqueduct, Park Lane East, Tipton. I used to travel under this on the way to and from work in the 70's. I would often encounter a scrap/rag&bone man with a horse drawn cart, who, after an afternoon in the pub would travel at a fair pace down Park Lane East towards this shouting to his horse "under you bu**ar, not over". Tipton, like most of the Black Country, had more than its fair share of characters.

• Happy 1

4 hours ago, Derek R. said:

Image(3)(Medium).jpg.c3a0c000d6646e589a68f8bbf29da557.jpg

There is no crane in shot. So how did the girder get there?

The girder is mounted on two bogies which have small wheels. So my guess is the long timbers at the top were laid across the gunwales, with rail lines fitted to them, and linked to a rail track on the bank via a hinged intermediate span (to accommodate the change in level as the boats sank down under the weight of the girder), then the girder+bogies was wheeled onto the long timbers. Then the long timbers were jacked up to allow the additional timbers below to be inserted one at a time to get to the position seen. The girder needed to be this high so the ends would be higher than the abutment and pier when it was floated into place. Then they probably partially flooded the boats to drop the girder down onto its permanent supports and to allow the boats and timber crib to be removed.

Then repeat for the other three girders.

Yes, the concrete aqueduct over Central Avenue is also known as Tibbington Aqueduct. The last aqueduct built for the BCN made it necessary to build Central Avenue. It is on the old main line from Bloomfield through to Bradley. But boats cannot get there any more so Goliath can only walk there.

I suggest read Boundary Post more frequently.

Edited by Heartland

23 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

This is Puppy Green Aqueduct, Park Lane East, Tipton. I used to travel under this on the way to and from work in the 70's. I would often encounter a scrap/rag&bone man with a horse drawn cart, who, after an afternoon in the pub would travel at a fair pace down Park Lane East towards this shouting to his horse "under you bu**ar, not over". Tipton, like most of the Black Country, had more than its fair share of characters.

Definitely not Puppy Green Aqueduct, which is a low arch structure with the railway alongside.

57 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Yes, the concrete aqueduct over Central Avenue is also known as Tibbington Aqueduct. The last aqueduct built for the BCN made it necessary to build Central Avenue. It is on the old main line from Bloomfield through to Bradley. But boats cannot get there any more so Goliath can only walk there.

But if Goliath walks there he won't see much of the aqueduct. All that seems to be left is a bit at the bottom of the southwest abutment wall.Screenshot_20230501-183330_Maps.jpg.c0df893f9a9a95bce592c4b5e7b1e1e9.jpg

7 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

@Goliath can we do a "Where I am?" on your current profile pic?

Is it Armitage?

Yes 

well done. 

It made me laff when I first saw the graffiti 10 years or so ago. 
Now I’m thinking, in another 10 years or so it may ring true. 

My mate Brad has a bridge named after him too. 
Do you know where that is?

Clue: Cuthound will know it. 

8 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Yes 

well done. 

It made me laff when I first saw the graffiti 10 years or so ago. 
Now I’m thinking, in another 10 years or so it may ring true. 

My mate Brad has a bridge named after him too. 
Do you know where that is?

Clue: Cuthound will know it. 

Amington I suspect.

12 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Amington I suspect.

I’m gonna have to check which it is.

I can’t remember 😬 the No. 

Its definitely not Cuthound’s  bridge which is Amington Bridge(?). 
But closer towards Glascote. 
Maybe 69

I also see Jacko of this forum has tagged a set of bridges, you must have seen them?

Edited by Goliath

13 hours ago, Goliath said:

Its definitely not Cuthound’s  bridge which is Amington Bridge(?). 
But closer towards Glascote. 
Maybe 69

Old Tamworth Road bridge according to CanalPlan.

Edited by cuthound

But if Goliath walks there he won't see much of the aqueduct. All that seems to be left is a bit at the bottom of the southwest abutment wall

Yup!

Good exercise and am not sure if any pubs are open there also.

4 minutes ago, Heartland said:

But if Goliath walks there he won't see much of the aqueduct. All that seems to be left is a bit at the bottom of the southwest abutment wall

Yup!

Good exercise and am not sure if any pubs are open there also.

Maybe next time you’re on walkabouts you could come for a trip on Goliath and save your legs. 👍

May be what does Goliath look like-

R Boat.jpg

As to Puppy Green Aqueduct, that is still there as an original build carrying New Main line over road

This 1957 image from the Waterways Archive has not changed much.

Aqudct.jpg