Where I am

Heartland

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, M_JG said:

Keadby? On the S&K?

You had me confused for a minute. The S&K is the Swinton & Knottingley in railway terms but then I realised you meant the Stainforth & Keadby.

If you're thinking Vazon I'd say not as that looks like a fixed bridge.

Thinking of places that transported oil by rail maybe Stanlow/Ellesmere Port or perhaps Hunslet.

4 minutes ago, Pluto said:

Not what was written  on the back of the phot.

Looks very much like the Vazon sliding bridge at Keadby to me but obviously I'm mistaken.

(I notice the tanks have got very faded ICI logos on them).

Edited by M_JG

Just now, Pluto said:

It used to move, but now fixed and out of use. Is that a clue?

Not to me.

If it doesnt move now how do boats pass under, thats very very low just like Vazon?

Or presumably they no longer can?

2 hours ago, M_JG said:

Looks very much like the Vazon sliding bridge at Keadby to me but obviously I'm mistaken.

(I notice the tanks have got very faded ICI logos on them).

Good point about the ICI logo. Possibly chemicals rather than oil. I’ll have to think about that.

Ulverston?

Edited by Captain Pegg

22 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Good point about the ICI logo. Possibly chemicals rather than oil. I’ll have to think about that.

Ulverston?

@Pluto refered to it as an 'oil' train. 

ICI at Wilton on Teesside used to refine oil.

Edited by M_JG

The black painted tanks and the two stars show that they are "Class B" tank wagons, designed for transporting heavy liquids and chemicals at passenger-train speeds and fitted with steam heating coils to assist offloading of heavy oils. I think they were introduced in the late 1950's or early 1960's 

11 hours ago, M_JG said:

Not to me.

If it doesnt move now how do boats pass under, thats very very low just like Vazon?

Or presumably they no longer can?

Presumably therefore it’s on a closed or un-navigable canal.

My guess is that it’s the bridge where the former Conishead Priory branch of the Furness Railway crosses the Ulverston canal.

• Greenie 1

The photo is of Gawthorpe Hall, between Burnley and Padiham. In Edwardian times, it was home to Baron Ughtred James Shuttleworth, a Liberal politician who was Chairman of the Royal Commission on Canals and Waterways, 1906-1912. Amongst the Shuttleworth family papers held at Gawthorpe Hall is an album of photos taken by Ughtred's daughter, Rachel, during the Commission's 1907 inspection of waterways in France, Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany, as well as a couple of Foxton incline. Unfortunately, they are not fully captioned, but the itinerary does give some clue, This raft working down through a 'modern' flash lock is probably on the Main or Neckar.

DSCF6417.jpg

• Greenie 1

Did the Royal Commission have an important effect on thinking?

What was subsequently done is hard to link to all those reports and recommendations but whether the subsequent improvements THAT were done was influenced by the Royal Commission is worthy of discussion.

If you are looking at surviving house linked to Waterways History any ideas about this structure?

sparrow.jpg