Where I am

Heartland

Featured Posts

Yes it was and also close to the original canal these ironworks had a foundry that made tuyeres on the Coneygre Foundry and yes they had their furnaces at Dudley Port- well done.

Dudley Port is the name given to the canal wharves on the Old Main Line where the road (turnpike) Dudley Port crossed over. The late Michael Hale did have a theory about the origin of port being Portway, but the prevailing view is that this was the port for Dudley. That was of course before the development of the carriers wharves at Tipton Green.

Hopkins furnaces were west of the bridge and had a basin , they also operated a brickworks nearby.  

20 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Which image, mine or Plutos

Springvale or Bilston steelworks did have waterways and railways, but the details of Plutos image does not seem to fit.

As to my question it was not at Millfields but closer to the first ever Newcomen Engine in South Staffordshire

I was referring to yours, I haven’t an idea about Pluto’s

I’ll wait to see how close Rob-M is 

Edited by Goliath
I see RobM is correct 👍

There were later two arms side by side. The large basin that served the furnaces and brickworks was on the west of the pair and that bridge has gone. The other basin, immediately to the east served the Grand Junction Canal Carrying Co Basin and wharf which was later a Fellows Morton and Clayton depot and this towpath side bridge remains.

On 17/02/2023 at 08:53, Heartland said:

Plutos image appears to show a group of smelting furnaces with a high level railway crossing the navigation on the left and a lower level siding in the centre, but large groups of smelting furnaces were usually confined to the North of England and this image seems to have a lift to the furnace at the top bottom left.

Yet that could be part of the ore treatment process. Between lock 4 and 5 on Leeds & Liverpool Canal may be a candidate- Wigan Coal and Iron Co

Yes, Wigan Coal & Iron with lock 4 to the left. This second photo makes it easier to identify, with the locks extreme left.In the late 19th century, WI&CCo were the world's largest iron business in terms of paid-up capital. They lost their way in not diversifying into steel when Bessemer converters were introduced, that part of their business separating and going to the new site at Partington by the Ship Canal.

WC&ICo works B.jpg

The Wigan Coal & Iron Company certainly had an extensive iron and coal ming trade. They also built some locomotives and I recall finding one in a scrapyard in Lancashire with a fellow undergraduate.

The South Staffordshire Iron trade was most dramatically affected by industrial action in the 1870's, but some works such as Bilston and Brierley Hill (Round Oak) did make the transition to steel once the basic method of steel making was developed. A non-canal location, but a coastal location, at Middlesborough also had a successful transition from iron to steel.

5 minutes ago, Heartland said:

A non-canal location, but a coastal location, at Middlesborough also had a successful transition from iron to steel.

And, according to Private Eye, the current site owners are successfully transferring public money into their pockets, plus the site dredging may have virtually destroyed the local fishing industry, that is according to experts rather than lobbyists.

• 2 weeks later...

Another question as to where I am. This is a roving bridge across a canal at the junction that moved slightly north but is gone now. There was no stop here then there was a stop and now that stop has gone.

Relocated B.jpg

27 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Another question as to where I am. This is a roving bridge across a canal at the junction that moved slightly north but is gone now. There was no stop here then there was a stop and now that stop has gone.

Relocated B.jpg

Looks similar to Bumble Hole bridge.

Not the Bumble Hole- this type of Bridge was commonly supplied for the 1840's period and yes there are surviving bridges on the BCN such as Broad Street Depot at Wolverhampton. And, yes this bridge was put in place because of railway development, like the bridge at Wolverhampton.

Edited by Heartland

Can’t believe I’ve had to wait wait 2 weeks for a ‘Where I Am’ 😃. At last !

On first glance this could be one of many bridges on the BCN.

There’s an embankment in the back which must be for the railway. 

I’ll have a good think tomorrow, (I’m currently on the Fireside 😋 where am I?) 

5 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

You are at Great Haywood. At least you were on monday

No, 😃 not no more. 

I hope you didn’t witness me reverse back to the junction?

the clue was the ‘Fireside’, which is a dead good pint,

I’m in a Black Country Pub. 
In Penkridge, but there’s more

of these pubs about. 

Any idea on the bridge?

8 hours ago, Heartland said:

Relocated B.jpg

Bloomfield Stop

Screenshot_20230302-004001_SamsungInternet.jpg.75dbdbd4ee8936038c2105780ccf05dc.jpg 

Yes Bloomfield Stop

Although it was not a stop then and there is no canal cottage on this O/S map those buildings came later. The original junction was removed when Bloomfield Interchange Basin was made.

And something far away from the Fireside and where barges once worked- this 1860 engraving shows another bridge but the cottage behind might be a help with identification and NO ITS IS NOT BCN!

916901.jpg

31 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Ok, seeing as we have moved away from the BCN..

20230302_201101.jpg

Is this one of the photos I missed in the first shop? 

tixall wide?

no, can’t be, ignore that

Edited by Kiwidad
Dumb thought

4 hours ago, Heartland said:

Yes Bloomfield Stop

Although it was not a stop then and there is no canal cottage on this O/S map those buildings came later. The original junction was removed when Bloomfield Interchange Basin was made.

So when was the roving bridge removed? I'm pretty sure it wasn't there in the mid 70s.

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

Junction of the Regents canal, Paddington according to Google.

That's cheating!!

Yes, its Robert Brownings Island in the middle....

35 minutes ago, Kiwidad said:

Is this one of the photos I missed in the first shop? 

Yes, 

Ignored....🙂

Just now, Goliath said:

it is Little Venice then?

Yup