Where I am

Heartland

Featured Posts

Returning briefly to Plutos comments about Ermine Street.

This is part of the 6 in ordnance survey for the road from Gloucester to Cirencester which DOES give the name ERMIN

Explanations would be appreciated

Ermin Street.jpg

And thanks for the note about the footpath to Coates Portal. I wonder if the pub will reopen?

Edited by Heartland

15 minutes ago, Graham_Robinson said:

As in Bermuda South of Nuneaton?
What were the inhabitants thinking of when they named it.

They were thinking that the local landowner - Lord Newdegate - was a former governor of Bermuda.

Although I knew the place from childhood I didn’t know that and looked it up on Wikipedia.

Edited by Captain Pegg

That remindes me of a schoolfriend in the 1950's  who said they were going to California for their summer  holiday. It turned out to be the place just North of Caister on the Norfolk coast.

Edited by Ronaldo47
typo

12 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

That remindes me of a schoolfriend in the 1950's  who said they were going to California for their summer  holiday. It turned out to be the place just North of Caister on the Norfolk coast.

And I was thinking you were going to refer to the area around the east end of Lapal Tunnel!

Screenshot_20230721-110612_SamsungInternet.jpg.5874fab9342c3abd1921911826f346f1.jpg

21 hours ago, Heartland said:

Returning briefly to Plutos comments about Ermine Street.

This is part of the 6 in ordnance survey for the road from Gloucester to Cirencester which DOES give the name ERMIN

Explanations would be appreciated

Not sure what explanation is required really.  Ermin Street runs from Gloucester through Cirencester to Silchester. Ermine Street runs from London to York.

Wikipedia does suggest that Ermin Street is also known as Ermin Way but growing up in that area I can't recall hearing it called that.

Lovely image Pluto has put up from EPT. Clearly a business establishment with yard and upstairs store, and having seen better days.

Possibly a Midlands scene, but even that's a very broad guess. No idea. Likely there is a canal basin just out of sight.

On 21/07/2023 at 11:10, Pluto said:

A photo by Edward Paget Tomlinson taken in 1971, with his Land over parked on the road. Where is it and what is it?

Crabtree shop, '71, EWPT.jpg

From the right hand building and the lane, I fancy that as what's currently the Slipway pub between Burscough and New Lane on the L&L.

Crabtree Swing Bridge is just out of shot behind the Landrover.

It's been everything from a private dwelling to a produce shop, a boatyard and chandlery, the Seaman's Mission and now a pub store.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

From the right hand building and the lane, I fancy that as what's currently the Slipway pub between Burscough and New Lane on the L&L.

Crabtree Swing Bridge is just out of shot behind the Landrover.

It's been everything from a private dwelling to a produce shop, a boatyard and chandlery, the Seaman's Mission and now a pub store.

Correct. It was originally a general store for the local boating community, so selling ropes etc as well as foods. The Boatmen's Mission used to arrange dances at the weekend in the room above the stables. Not knowing the exact date of the building (it was built in the 1890s or 1900s), I am not sure if it was used as the Boatmen's Mission as the current corrugated-iron Mission Chapel was built in 1904. That is known locally as Crabtree Mission, though it is actually in New Lane, and is the last UK Canal Boatmen's Mission still in use as a place of worship. The Liverpool & Wigan Boatmen's Mission was in operation at least as far back as the 1870s, and they had a building at the terminus in Liverpool, one wall of which survived until recently. The Mission was taken over by the Mersey Mission to Seamen, but I am not sure of the exact date. There was also a Canal Boatmen's Mission at the Leeds Basin, but the building was knocked down in the 1990s. There was a second Boatmen's Mission in Leeds on the A&CN.

43 minutes ago, Pluto said:

Not knowing the exact date of the building (it was built in the 1890s or 1900s), I am not sure if it was used as the Boatmen's Mission as the current corrugated-iron Mission Chapel was built in 1904. That is known locally as Crabtree Mission, though it is actually in New Lane, and is the last UK Canal Boatmen's Mission still in use as a place of worship.

https://m.facebook.com/1641626862718420/photos/a.1647655135448926/2228096477404786/?type=3

Found this on the Burscough Heritage Facebook group.

51 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

https://m.facebook.com/1641626862718420/photos/a.1647655135448926/2228096477404786/?type=3

Found this on the Burscough Heritage Facebook group.

The following comes from the Ministry of Health papers in the National Archives at Kew:

1876-3-6, MH 25/27 Canal Mission

Liverpool & Wigan Canal Mission was established in 1864.

Moses Jackson, Missioner, to Secretary of State, complaining about George Smith's description of canal people.

… This I am bound to deny and am assured by all the residents near the canal between Liverpool and Wigan that within the last 12 years the transformation which has taken place in the boatpeople is really wonderful - in cleanliness, language and general conduct. …

There were 500 to 600 boats between Liverpool and Wigan, besides those from other canals. At least 50% of the boat people can read, not more than 20% classed as drunkard, not more than 1% living as man and wife unmarried - 4 expect soon to get married. 50% leave the children at home to go to school, 90% have houses on the bank, which has doubled in the last 10 years.

The Society was started by Mr & Mrs Wood, its agents are dissenters.

In 1875, Richard Williams stopped his boats on Sundays.

The photo below of the canal terminus at Liverpool comes from the 1908 Mersey Mission to Seamen's magazine, in which an article suggests that they did not have a canal mission in Liverpool at that time. I suspect they took over the existing mission in New Lane, with the canal company providing space for a dedicated mission at the Liverpool terminus, around at this time. The missioner at New Land, Mr Hedrickson, built all the furniture in the new mission at Burscough, sme of which survives - well it did until recently. Burscough was the main centre for long distance and Liverpool coal traffic boatmen, and there are many boatmen's houses near the canal, recognisable by the stable for the boat horse at the rear.

L.pool terminus.jpg

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Derek R. said:

Taken April 2023 according to Google Maps.

https://tinyurl.com/5xmyrc2t

Not sure which photo you're looking at, the thread I linked has a 1972 aerial photo of the site and a discussion about it's history.

Without the slipway that gave the pub it's name, and was taken before it became a pub ...

Posted to Facebook 5 years ago by Michael Dawson, dated 1972.

img_1_1690145603165.jpg.5fa513ded4ea9b91226329b0e567dc32.jpg

Try scrolling down ...

There were other shops for boating families on the L&LC. In the first photo of Roland on drydock at Burscough, I was told that the terraced house on the left had bread ovens in the cellar, and they used to sell to passing boaters. The second photo shows a house with 'Grocers' over the front door, but where is it?

Roland on dock.jpg

Grocer's.jpg

16 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Not sure which photo you're looking at, the thread I linked has a 1972 aerial photo of the site and a discussion about it's history.

(snipped)

It looks like I linked to the wrong post. Should have been Plutos' with EPTs' Land Rover.

• Greenie 1