Farmer’s Bridge? In Manchester?

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

To take this slightly off the gentle CRT bashing what was there before the offices and why did they build on piers and not fill in what I assume is a basin of some sort

They're short pounds between locks which extend under the building.  If you filled in the pound under the building the remainder wouldn't have the capacity for many lock workings. 

Farmers Bridge Locks - Birmingham & Fazeley Canal, Birmingham Canal Navigations

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I wondered how they replace the gates there in Birmingham, the ones in Manchester have rails above them for chain hoists.

There are attachment points in the buildings over the gates.

4 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

There are attachment points in the buildings over the gates.

In no way did I examine them closely but I do remember thinking I wouldn't trust those rusty lumps to lift a damp tea bag

Just now, Rob-M said:

A sample image I found showing the hoist rails above the gates.

5984726652_ef5c9d7729_b.jpg.492b211b4c43d41f7ef662e7f87287d2.jpg

And they look a lot posher than my memory of them, I blame old age

Lovely set of locks. 
So easy to use. 

A good bit is passing the office workers at their computer screens and feeling good about not being in there. 

I think it’s the only time I’ve been stoned too. 
(as in Someone chucking stones)

I looked up at the apartments and gave some bloke grief, but it turned out he was just making a call on his phone. 
Then I saw a head bobbing up right at the top, must have been chucking bits of gravel at me off the roof. 

Edited by Goliath

4 hours ago, Goliath said:

6E3C2507-EC55-4AC5-B6ED-C00876757BAB.jpeg.84cbb8246a130248b09de3eb4bc0c5a6.jpeg

Has anyone else spotted this?

CRT boater update is proudly telling us of the award of Green Flag status in Manchester on the Rochdale 9, which is good news, but why use a photo from Birmingham?

They managed to find the right photo for their Manchester undercroft consultation.

RS12979_CRT240415-174.jpg

https://www.undercroftconsultation.co.uk/

Just an aside really, what does the reference to Farmer's Bridge in the OP mean? The photos bear no resemblence to the Farmers Bridge locks that I know, so where are the illustrated locks?

image.png.44180e54648b996a16f884a10d8feea4.png

image.png.25ab684ff5d78734669dcdb012ba3bfc.png

Edited by David Schweizer

No it is not lock 8 

Lock 9 is by Newhall Street bridge, Lock 10 is the other side and where the Post Office Tower was constructed. Lock 11 is north side of Ludgate Street, Lock 12 is by Livery Street Bridge and 13 near Snow Hill

The Lock in the images above is 10 and not far from a CRT office

Whether it is considered CRT bashing or not, there are other items that appear in the boaters newsletter which are questionable. Overall this publication is a useful record of what the CRT are doing  to improve or maintain their navigation

In a recent newsletter they talk about repairs to Hillmorton Locks and record them as being 250 years old and 1772 would be the date when the original locks were constructed. However that was when they were single locks, the present paired locks were completed in 1840 and the island structure which they so lovingly restored would be from the later date !

• Greenie 1

18 hours ago, Rob-M said:

[to replace the gates,] There are attachment points in the buildings over the gates.

uo8t_1.jpgFor completeness, from Canalplan, which helpfully reminds me that I took the picture "3 July 2005 and was added to the database on Thursday the 14th of July, 2005"

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, David Mack said:

RS12979_CRT240415-174.jpgThey managed to find the right photo for their Manchester undercroft consultation.

https://www.undercroftconsultation.co.uk/

19 hours ago, Goliath said:

Or maybe (with the goings on in them there tunnels) the photos were too explicit and couldn’t be used on a family friendly website.

spacer.png

Does the sign (visible in David's pic) have any discernable effect for passing (lewdless) pedestrians / boaters?

Worrying to be accidentally lewd hereabouts ...