Farmer’s Bridge? In Manchester?

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, PeterScott said:

spacer.png

Does the sign (visible in David's pic) have any discernable effect for passing (lewdless) pedestrians / boaters?

Worrying to be accidentally lewd hereabouts ...

Before they built the current towpath which bridges over the water, the original towpath wandered off round the edge of the canal behind that notice, with all sorts of dark and gloomy corners. Boating through in those days I more than once came across a chap with his trousers round his ankles, injecting into his thigh. But we each just said hello and left the other to their own activities. Disconcerting perhaps, but certainly not threatening.

43 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Boating through in those days I more than once came across a chap with his trousers round his ankles, injecting into his thigh. 

Last time we came down there we were shifting a bit so there was a lot of water being dropped ahead of the boat.

Enough water to flush the underground towpath around ankle deep.

We also met three rather disgruntled chaps with completely soaked trousers leaving the tunnel.

Maybe our assumptions about their earlier activities were incorrect ... But they didn't seem to be high.

Regarding the sign for Manchester, though there is no sign at Lock 10 Farmer's Bridge, I once led an evening walk along the canal there to tell people about the locks and the Whitmores Arm. Some on my party noted the extra curricular activities of two gentlemen under the pillars of the tower and commented on them at Lock 9!