Anyone passing Barrowford Locks?

LadyG

Featured Posts

20 hours ago, LadyG said:

Listen up, I don't post here often due to folks like the AdE who, obviously is on ignore, and in fact his thoughts are so useless and essentially negative, typically mysoginist btw,  he's wasting his time, obviously got nothing better to do. 

I haven't had bad neighbours on the moorings BTW, not sure where what came from, I would just move. 😁

I'm not going to try to repair the boat myself, it's just a mad idea. 

The job is going to cost a lot, aparently it's covered by insurance, why would I try to fix an underwater problem of unknown exactitude, by draining a pound to dry out my boat!!!!!!! What is wrong with people.

On the thunderboat, I now find Dunkley wants to have his say, I don't know why people feel they have to get involved. 

Consider all problems now solved, end of discussion. 

Possibly because you post your problems on a public forum and that is what forums are for?

23 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes I did, and stand by it.

Jo has had nothing but problems and bad luck since she purchased the boat :

Bad neighbours on the moorings

Workmen who have not turned up to do a job

Workmen who have started the job and then left part way thru'

She has had 4 (or is it 5) electricians none of whom were apparently competent

and so it goes on.

You forgot the problems with the flat previous. 

Some people seem to have all the "bad luck " 😕

I see she has also asked the same question on Thunderboat:

https://thunderboat.boards.net/thread/8013/barrowford-lock-bit-sos

With a few asking about the underwater sheared bolt which seams to be a problem and why the boat has to be craned out of the water. Knowing Tyler Wilson boats a little and their rudder configuration I can’t see a bolt that is underwater that could cause the rudder to be un-workable, the only bolts are at the Rudder bearing and the one that holds the Swan neck to the Rudder stock above the water, the lower rudder assy is a one piece unit that sits in the rudder cup on the skeg. 
 Have you popped the rudder out of the cup or bent the skeg?

Please see photo’s below for a typical TW rudder, note the hole where a large bolt and washer goes to hold the Swan to the stock has not been fitted yet.

832898F5-8C4F-4C10-A705-9B4A868FAE19.jpeg

5435278A-4A14-4B56-BF3E-69ABEDC0C5CF.jpeg

Edited by PD1964

On 14/11/2021 at 14:29, PD1964 said:

I see she has also asked the same question on Thunderboat:

https://thunderboat.boards.net/thread/8013/barrowford-lock-bit-sos

With a few asking about the underwater sheared bolt which seams to be a problem and why the boat has to be craned out of the water. Knowing Tyler Wilson boats a little and their rudder configuration I can’t see a bolt that is underwater that could cause the rudder to be un-workable, the only bolts are at the Rudder bearing and the one that holds the Swan neck to the Rudder stock above the water, the lower rudder assy is a one piece unit that sits in the rudder cup on the skeg. 
 Have you popped the rudder out of the cup or bent the skeg?

Please see photo’s below for a typical TW rudder, note the hole where a large bolt and washer goes to hold the Swan to the stock has not been fitted yet.

Ft

832898F5-8C4F-4C10-A705-9B4A868FAE19.jpeg

5435278A-4A14-4B56-BF3E-69ABEDC0C5CF.jpeg

The ramshead is not like that, there is no sign of a nut or bolt at the top, and it is square not cylindrical. 

My post on here is asking about a tow btw, so far not seen a boat for a week, and the weather is perfect. 

I have left the other forum due to the aggression shown by Dunkley, he has spent a lot of time disparaging my own decisions, those of the engineer, the CRT, the marina. He has not seen the boat, he has not been to fix it, I don't think he would be insured. I would have difficulty working with anyone with his level of aggression. 

I asked him to modify his postings, and in the end to stop posting. That did not stop him

I am aware that there could have been a repair before I got the boat, if so, I tested it to destruction 😑

It's pointless to speculate any further getting the thing repaired economically but also properly is the thing. I would like to put a new ramshead,, such as those in the green photo, I have tried to discuss this with Tyler Wilson in Sheffield, they are just not interested. 

I am waiting for things to come together, metaphorically and physically. 

Tony Brooks suggested I go in the water, I would struggle to get out. The tiller rotates 360, freely, something is broke, almost certainly. I think the break is near the tiller, but I can't be sure, seems unlikely if the rudder caught on the door, as I was going up. There is nothing I can do to repair the boat. My tools are B&Q christmas set, and my engineering skills are limited. I cannot weld, I have no power tools. 

No boats passed for two weeks........ I am going to put my Christmas decoration soon,  think I'll be here a long time. 

Edited by LadyG

Jo,

I have spoken to the previous owner of your boat.  The pre-sale survey highlighted a worn prop shaft bearing. A new one was fitted.  A welder chappie cut the rudder stock above the rudder blade to remove the rudder and re-welded it afterwards. That is probably what has failed. When you had the new rudder/swan neck bearing fitted,  that crew probably knew that the swan kneck came off so it was done in water.

Edited by Joe Bourke
  • Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

7 minutes ago, Joe Bourke said:

Jo,

I have spoken to the previous owner of your boat.  The pre-sale survey highlighted a worn prop shaft bearing. A new one was fitted.  A welder chappie cut the rudder stock above the rudder blade to remove the rudder and re-welded it afterwards. That is probably what has failed. When you had the new rudder/swan neck bearing fitted,  that crew probably knew that the swan kneck came off so it was done in water.

Thanks Joe, so it's out of the water, clean it up, new weld, job done. This is what I thought, I just felt that the break feels closer to the top, but I can't get the tiller off, to put a nice new cyldrical ramshead, and I am not sure if insurance would help, anyway thanks again. Hope you have water at Goole! 

18 minutes ago, Joe Bourke said:

Jo,

This sheds a great deal of light on the subject.  Wayne(?) who came to see it in person, gave correct advice, to get the boat out of the water.

This type of failure is very much out of the ordinary, dependent on finances, it might be better to replace the entire rudder assembly, then at least you will have a known item, rather than a repaired item of unknown strength.

However please get a series of photos, of the whole underwater hull, once the boat is out of water.  Have a clean around the propeller, looking for any numbers, or symbols, these should identify exactly what is fitted, should heavens forbid, a new one is need, then you know what to ask for.

Bod

14 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Thanks Joe, so it's out of the water, clean it up, new weld, job done. This is what I thought, I just felt that the break feels closer to the top, but I can't get the tiller off, to put a nice new cyldrical ramshead, and I am not sure if insurance would help, anyway thanks again. Hope you have water at Goole! 

No problem Jo. Yes re-weld, and maybe add some beef around it.  Maybe it's a good job it did break ??  Think about it.

We've had water since August so all is well again on that front. 😃

Good to see that the OP is at last getting the kind of advice for which this forum is (generally) best known!

Good luck with getting the fix, BTW. Certainly if it was me I would be straight to a professional, better if it is one that has been personally recommended.

DPA pump with electric stop

59 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Good to see that the OP is at last getting the kind of advice for which this forum is (generally) best known!

Good luck with getting the fix, BTW. Certainly if it was me I would be straight to a professional, better if it is one that has been personally recommended.

But if, and its not the case here, it only required three or four bolts replacing in two half couplings renewing you might be a bit miffed to have to pay fro a lift or slipping when it could have been done in a dry pound. I think that it is always best to try to find out what is wrong yourself to save being seen as a soft touch.

On 13/11/2021 at 19:04, Iain_S said:

Bit unfair to the Dunks, I feel.  He was answering an SOS, after all

Nope,  he was touting for business, see his latest ravings on TB. 

He reads this forum in order to channel his evil thoughts, bully and target people who seek an objective view. 

Personally, I think he needs help, save the rest of us from unnecessary stress. The NHS is free at the point of usage, but he should be prepared to pay a professional as per his stated ethos. 

He has not helped me, instead he has caused massive stress at a time when I already have enough on my plate. 

PS I ended up in A&E, not due to the incident but due to the stress caused by Dunkley. 

Edited by LadyG
  • Angry 3

On 13/11/2021 at 08:29, Naughty Cal said:

Would you not be better off being towed into a marina with services to hand until March rather than overstaying on the towpath?

If a boat is broken down, the CRT will be informed, and the 14 day regime is normally suspended, that's often why you see boats in odd places, long term. 

At the moment the boat has not yet reached it's final resting place 🛥️

Edited by LadyG
In transit

15 hours ago, LadyG said:

If a boat is broken down, the CRT will be informed, and the 14 day regime is normally suspended, that's often why you see boats in odd places, long term. 

At the moment the boat has not yet reached it's final resting place 🛥️

Yes I am well aware of that. But it is only intended as a short term suspension until the boat can be fixed in a reasonable timeframe. I'm not sure that the March date you initially bandied around could really be called a reasonable time frame for what sounds as though it will be a relatively simple job once the boat is hauled out.

45 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Yes I am well aware of that. But it is only intended as a short term suspension until the boat can be fixed in a reasonable timeframe. I'm not sure that the March date you initially bandied around could really be called a reasonable time frame for what sounds as though it will be a relatively simple job once the boat is hauled out.

The boat does not need to come out, it needs to stay where it is. No crane required. 

I will discuss any potential overstaying with the CRT, its not a problem. Try not to overthink my problem 😊 Things have moved on, the experts have moved in 😊

Edited by LadyG

15 minutes ago, LadyG said:

The boat does not need to come out, it needs to stay where it is. No crane required. 

I will discuss any potential overstaying with the CRT, its not a problem. Try not to overthink my problem 😊

Ah, things have changed, hopefully for the better. You said previously that the boat needed to be towed to a boatyard/marina where it could be craned out and I seem to remember that it would be out of the water till march. 

Is that not now the case and has the boat been moved?  The mover was coming to you the other day.

1 hour ago, haggis said:

Ah, things have changed, hopefully for the better. You said previously that the boat needed to be towed to a boatyard/marina where it could be craned out and I seem to remember that it would be out of the water till march. 

Is that not now the case and has the boat been moved?  The mover was coming to you the other day.

The mover never turned up, I dont think the welder wants to do the job, or he's not happy to do the job, certainly not started it yet. I've rung him several times, he's not sent his truck. 

The boat can stay where it is, so it can be repaired in situ. There are no boat movements  even if I wanted a tow.

Everyone has their own ideas, but I have to find a solution, a sucesfull solution. I think I feel like a lab rat in a maze 🐶

Edited by LadyG

9 minutes ago, LadyG said:

The mover never turned up, I dont think the welder wants to do the job, or he's not happy to do the job, certainly not started it yet. 

The boat can stay where it is, so it can be repaired in situ

So, the boat is still in the same place &, the rudder CAN be repaired whilst in the water.

What has changed ?

I am really confused now 🙂 . You previously told us that the boat had to be out of the water to be repaired which meant moving it. Now you say it will be repaired in situ. It it being done using the "Dunkley method" ? (draining the pound between the locks). 

Whatever, I do hope you get it fixed and can continue your journey soon

10 minutes ago, haggis said:

I am really confused now 🙂 . You previously told us that the boat had to be out of the water to be repaired which meant moving it. Now you say it will be repaired in situ. It it being done using the "Dunkley method" ? (draining the pound between the locks). 

Whatever, I do hope you get it fixed and can continue your journey soon

Nope, not the Dunkley method. 

The proper method, I'm a bit more confident than I was two weeks ago. 😁

I now know what the problem is and I'm pretty sure it can be sorted, with assistance.

I was never going to be able to do anything myself.

The boat has moved a bit, but not of its own accord 😅

Edited by LadyG