Anyone passing Barrowford Locks?

LadyG

Featured Posts

24 minutes ago, haggis said:

I am really confused now 🙂 . You previously told us that the boat had to be out of the water to be repaired which meant moving it. Now you say it will be repaired in situ. It it being done using the "Dunkley method" ? (draining the pound between the locks). 

Whatever, I do hope you get it fixed and can continue your journey soon

I think that suggestion was a means of ascertaining the exact problem. The Dunk method of repair requires a reasonable depth of water (draught plus depth of counter plus 3 or 4 inches)

17 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Nope, not the Dunkley method. 

The proper method, I'm a bit more confident than I was two weeks ago. 😁

I now know what the problem is and I'm pretty sure it can be sorted, with assistance.

I was never going to be able to do anything myself.

The boat has moved a bit, but not of its own accord 😅

So as per your usual MO, feeding misinformation in drips, claiming others cause you all the stress and the need to visit A&E, calling TD very unpleasant things both here and there and dismissing help and advice from others without even thanks for the concern.   To be honest, I no longer give a f**k and wont offering you any more help or my time!   

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

Nope, not the Dunkley method. 

Probably the method that uses the following
Blowlamp, spanner, 14lb sledgehammer, 3 x lengths of rope, 2 x lengths of chain , 4 x D-shackles, and a boathook (cabin shaft).

Seen similar job done in Brighouse basin without the chain, but TD is a professional.

• 1 month later...

Well, just for an update, plan B, ie repair in situ failed, now need a tow to marina facilities for a crane out. 

Not seen a boat for three weeks for a tow, except for one... this week. They failed to help, and are now comfortably moored back at their home mooring, paintwork unscathed. 

Note to Julie, "the way he just treated me is the way he will treat you when it suits him best, whatever you do, DO NOT subsidise him in any way". DAMHIK. 

[ODIN rules] 

Edited by LadyG
  • Unimpressed 1

On 12/11/2021 at 16:11, Canal321 said:

There is the floating dry dock at Altham.

It is closed, and if it is run by the disabled guy who spilled diesel all over my engine bay, he is a rip off merchant to be avoided at all costs. 

On 13/11/2021 at 08:29, Naughty Cal said:

Would you not be better off being towed into a marina with services to hand until March rather than overstaying on the towpath?

I am not overstaying, CRT are notified of situation, I have not had an overstaying notification, ever. 

There is nowhere else to stay that has facilities. 

I need water and I need Elsan, there is road access for coal and food deliveries. 

If I could get a tow, it would be in order to get repaired. 

Edited by LadyG

12 minutes ago, David Mack said:

How far do you need to be towed?

Initially about 2 miles, next stage, another two. 

Being penned on the L&L by breaches, there are no boats moving, there is nowhere for them to go. 

I could  possibly bowhaul  four miles, but there is a long, wide tunnel just ahead of me, which I cannot transit. 

Edited by LadyG

On 22/11/2021 at 15:37, David Mack said:

So what is the problem?

The boat has no steering. 

The rudder is not in situ. 

The tiller is not attached to the rudder. 

Repair facilities are four miles away. 

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Why have RCR not been able to arrange a tow?

Because they don't own a tow boat. 

Eventually things will start to move again, but there is nothing more I can do at the moment 

Edited by LadyG

20 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Eventually things will start to move again, but there is nothing more I can do at the moment 

I wonder why they offer to tow boats then? Are they relying on them or you arranging a tow from a passing boat then?  I have just checked their booklet giving details of cover and it says that if a repair cannot be made where you are they will tow for up to two hours. It may be though in this instance that Lady G feels it is better spending the winter where she is rather than where she could be towed too. 

Haggis

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, LadyG said:

They certainly do have tow boats. They are often towing boats about on the Trent when they get grounded.🤔

Just now, haggis said:

I wonder why they offer to tow boats then? Are they relying on them or you arranging a tow from a passing boat then?  I have just checked their booklet giving details of cover and it says that if a repair cannot be made where you are they will tow for up to two hours. It may be though in this instance that Lady G feels it is better spending the winter where she is rather than where she could be towed too. 

Haggis

The planned 'repair yard' is (according to Jo) only 4 miles away so is well within the 2 hour tow-time. and could have been sorted weeks ago.

But maybe you are correct, its cheaper to take a free winter mooring with all facilities within a few feet.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The planned 'repair yard' is (according to Jo) only 4 miles away so is well within the 2 hour tow-time. and could have been sorted weeks ago.

But maybe you are correct, its cheaper to take a free winter mooring with all facilities within a few feet.

Or that RCR don't have access to any boat on that stretch of the canal which can do the tow?

LadyG has said several times that she wants to get towed to the repair yard and get the boat fixed but RCR can't provide this service, regardless of what their booklet claims to cover.

I can't help feeling that this is starting to look like repeated bullying of LadyG by some posters... 😞

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 3

4 hours ago, LadyG said:

It is closed, and if it is run by the disabled guy who spilled diesel all over my engine bay, he is a rip off merchant to be avoided at all costs. 

Be careful spreading libellous untruths. You are referring to a different location/persons.

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, IanD said:

Or that RCR don't have access to any boat on that stretch of the canal which can do the tow?

LadyG has said several times that she wants to get towed to the repair yard and get the boat fixed but RCR can't provide this service, regardless of what their booklet claims to cover.

I can't help feeling that this is starting to look like repeated bullying of LadyG by some posters... 😞

RCR have their own tow boats which can be launched wherever there is a slipway. 

They will also arrange for a yard (which is doing the repairs to the boat) to tow a boat for repair. 

There is very little reason for Lady G to be sat on a CRT mooring for free 3 months after the initial breakdown. It could and should have been dealt with in days.

• Greenie 2

5 hours ago, LadyG said:

Well, just for an update, plan B, ie repair in situ failed, now need a tow to marina facilities for a crane out. 

Did Wayne not manage to refit the rudder in the lock?  I thought that was sorted weeks ago!

Is the re-welded rudder and post back on your boat?  There's a cunning plan if it's not still in the workshop ...