Anyone passing Barrowford Locks?

LadyG

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Pluto said:

Foulridge was always a bonus when I worked my boat single handed as you just let it enter the tunnel and could then go into the cabin to make a brew and something to eat without slowing down.

Yeah, but yours was the correct size and shape Mike!  Almost like it was designed for the canal ... ;)

39 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

From memory its also lined with boards at the waterline. I think its pretty well impossible to hit the tunnel structure itself. 

Time to ask for help from Ric O'Shea ? He'll get the boat thru.

5 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Maybe get a local cow to haul it through Foulridge?

You are milking it now Martin, it's already been suggested a couple of times. You'll have to come up with an udder bit of wit.

1 hour ago, Pluto said:

Foulridge was always a bonus when I worked my boat single handed as you just let it enter the tunnel and could then go into the cabin to make a brew and something to eat without slowing down. I have also towed boats on the L&LC single-handed without problem, with a bucket tied to a rope fixed to the back of the towed boat, though there were fewer boats on the canal then. 

I don't have a strong bucket, would half a bag of coal work? 

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I have a medium sized tyre, just the correct diameter to wrap round the prop! 

You have a rope long enough to keep it clear of the blade and dragging on the bottom. Remember to pull it out before reversing.

57 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

You have a rope long enough to keep it clear of the blade and dragging on the bottom. Remember to pull it out before reversing.

No problem there, with no rudder blade, I won't be going astern. 

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Wot, you mean it was the same width and length as the locks?? 

😱:giggles:😱

A foot shorter and six inches narrower in most cases.  As designed, obviously, not as is necessarily the case today!

Some of the locks have subsided, some of the boats are suffering from middle age spread ...

I'm really confused with this thread. It seems to be a storm in a tea cup mixed with BS.  You don't need a a rudder or tiller to steer a boat, especially on a canal, hell you don't even need an engine... you can pole it or bow haul it a couple of miles with no problems.  You can remove and refit rudders, tillers, propellers, propshafts, outboard legs and weld in the water.

Edited by Quattrodave
  • Greenie 3

11 minutes ago, Quattrodave said:

I'm really confused with this thread. It seems to be a storm in a tea cup mixed with BS.  You don't need a a rudder or tiller to steer a boat, especially on a canal, hell you don't even need an engine... you can pole it or bow haul it a couple of miles with no problems.  You can remove and refit rudders, tillers, propellers, propshafts, outboard legs and weld in the water.

It would be an exciting bit of derring-do to pole it through the tunnel...what a chance for the Lady to prove her mettle! 

(I suspect I may have imbibed of too much bizzard and The Rime of Ancient Mariner!...but what the heck, go for it LG raise my opinion of you!) 

Edited by Chagall
explanation of weird text!
  • Greenie 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Quattrodave said:

In a tunnel I'd be tempted to put into drive at tickover and gently fend off the tunnel walls at the bow to steer... doable single handed but much easier with a couple of you...

I might regret this but I'd give it a go. 

....this offer will expire!

Edited by Chagall
probably by the morning
  • Greenie 1

48 minutes ago, Quattrodave said:

.  You can remove and refit rudders, tillers, propellers, propshafts, outboard legs and weld in the water.

That's what I thought before we tried It........ 

You may be fit enough to pole for four or five miles with a very short pole, with no rudder of course, including through a wide tunnel, unfortunately I'm not convinced I could do it single-handed. It's a big fcn boat., about 17 tonnes. 

The wind at this moment is forecast 16 kts, I reckon its actually F4 or F5 up here on the tops, and I'm expecting a snow bomb on Wednesday, patience is required. 

The marina is not fully operational at the moment, my arrival at the marina has to Co ordinate with crane hire etc. I think I'd rather wait for a tow, thanks anyway. 🤔

Edited by LadyG

22 minutes ago, Quattrodave said:

The mile long tunnel with a couple of sticky out bits of concrete and no towpath counts against this.

It's also more than twice as wide as the boat, so you could get jammed inside the tunnel.

Bowhauling after the tunnel would be fine ...

31 minutes ago, Quattrodave said:

In a tunnel I'd be tempted to put into drive at tickover and gently fend off the tunnel walls at the bow to steer... doable single handed but much easier with a couple of you...

I'm sure it is easier with two people, perfect weather and so on, but my pole barely touches the bottom.  I've had enough of venturing in to the unknown. 

16 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

It's also more than twice as wide as the boat, so you could get jammed inside the tunnel.

omg, I can just see it now 😂 !!!!!!!! 

Edited by LadyG