A new winner....

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

In the charts for most convenient discount supermarket when arriving by boat, we have a new entrant. The Lidl in Warwick has been pushed off the top spot by Aldi in Retford, straight in at Number 1 with bollards for mooring and everything. Bridge 56 on  the Chesterfield Canal.

MP.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

In the charts for most convenient discount supermarket when arriving by boat, we have a new entrant. The Lidl in Warwick has been pushed off the top spot by Aldi in Retford, straight in at Number 1 with bollards for mooring and everything. Bridge 56 on  the Chesterfield Canal.

MP.

Did you notice Lady G when you were there

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Did you notice Lady G when you were there

Now now, was that my lockdown, or the breakdown, or just  the 'ran out of Glen Orchy' era?

It's good for cats, which is even more critical, as the adjacent Jewson yard is full of exciting pallets, mice. Mooring very quiet overnight, apart from incoming lorries,   ctv 24/7 and dimmed yard lighting.

I will be self publishing my book on Amazon,  sponsored by The Gates Foundation.

"Cat friendly moorings in the North East of England, (includes East Midlands)"

Illustrated by me, in my 'primitive' period.

Edited by LadyG

13 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

The lidl at warwick is unsuitable for anything deep draft though, and you are likely to be robbed or run over by a Kia 4 wheel drive in the car park.

All the more reason to go to Retford instead.

MP.

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Now now, was that my lockdown, or the breakdown, or just  the 'ran out of Glen Orchy' era?

It's good for cats, which is even more critics, as the adjacent Jewson yard is full of exciting pallets, mice, and very quiet. 

I will be self publishing my book on Amazon,  sponsored by The Gates Foundation

"Cat friendly moorings in the North East of England, (includes East Midlands)"

Illustrated by me, in my 'primitive' period.

So have you left the Chesterfield canal then?

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

So have you left the Chesterfield canal then?

Departure from West Stockwith at the end of April marked the end of the longest maiden voyage of any narrowboater in modern times. 

Interesting mooring at Torksey, then upwards and onwards .......

Having an invite from @Tony Brooks of this parish, I am inclined to zoom round the Witham, and set off for Reading, not sure if it is N or S of Watford gap, but, it is where it always was, I have no doubt. 

Edited by LadyG

5 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

MP.

Ah, but for quality you can't beat Waitrose at Aylesbury

image.png.073b1b7caf55967e80870585c95ea6fc.png

Decent mooring,free coffee, free newspaper and tap into their wifi, what's not to like:D

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Departure from West Stockwith at the end of April marked the end of the longest maiden voyage of any narrowboater in modern times. 

Not quite, I know one that did 270 miles and over 200 locks. She was getting quite good at it by the end!

9 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Decent mooring,free coffee, free newspaper and tap into their wifi, what's not to like:D

Free coffee, Newspaper, is it The Telegraph?

Edited by LadyG

6 minutes ago, Man 'o Kent said:

Not quite, I know one that did 270 miles and over 200 locks. She was getting quite good at it by the end!

omg, I'm still at junior rank on locks, and only done 50 water miles in two years. Claiming 10:90 diesel at the Burton Waters tomorrow, they know I'm arriving tomorrow and promised to remove the expensive plastic which is currently tied to diesel mooring, first thing in the morning!

Edited by LadyG

21 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Having an invite from @Tony Brooks of this parish, I am inclined to zoom round the Witham, and set off for Reading, not sure if it is N or S of Watford gap, but, it is where it always was, I have no doubt. 

I am sure Tony will give sound advice about your electrics.

Please be nice to him and listen without butting in.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

I am sure Tony will give sound advice about your electrics.

Please be nice to him and listen without butting in.

She hasn't even thanked him for that and the guy is still giving her advice, Lord love him! ...Id go hell for leather to Reading if I was in her shoes/boat, and never mind how long it took me! 

• Greenie 1

35 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I enjoyed the statue of Ronnie Barker in the square outside, looking over towards the Waitrose. I  imagine him exclaiming "'Ow much, Ggggggranville?".

MP.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Not if you draw 3 feet. Came in alongside on of those jetties, about a foot way from the edge. And then stayed there - couldn't pull the boat in!

7 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

I enjoyed the statue of Ronnie Barker in the square outside, looking over towards the Waitrose. I  imagine him exclaiming "'Ow much, Ggggggranville?"......

MP.

....F...f...f...f..fetch yer cloth.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, LadyG said:

No need to get to Reading, I will happily drive up to 30 miles as long as there is legal car parking within hobbling distance of the boat and nowhere near the London charging zones. That probably means somewhere around Oxford or North of West Drayton. The last thing you want is having to pay an EA license for the Thames unless you have a burning desire to do the K&A. I would suggest the K&A is a brutal canal for single handers.

8 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

No need to get to Reading, I will happily drive up to 30 miles as long as there is legal car parking within hobbling distance of the boat and nowhere near the London charging zones. That probably means somewhere around Oxford or North of West Drayton. The last thing you want is having to pay an EA license for the Thames unless you have a burning desire to do the K&A. I would suggest the K&A is a brutal canal for single handers.

I see, I don't think my current problems will wait, tbh. 

10 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Its immense popularity is obvious from your photo; or perhaps they'd heard that Steve Heywood was on his way.