Moving without power

Ericpoli

Featured Posts

Morning

we are thinking of getting a narrow boat from Somerset to Saltaire West Yorkshire for a restaurant 

the boat doesn’t have an engine so ok we can transport it by road then what?

how do we land it on water on a canal and how do we put it in position 

thank you

5 minutes ago, Ericpoli said:

Morning

we are thinking of getting a narrow boat from Somerset to Saltaire West Yorkshire for a restaurant 

thank you

Hahahaha bit too far

Have you got the various approvals from CRT to have a static restaurant boat? I assume not because if you have the will and determination to face up to CRT bureaucracy the task of actually moving the boat will be trivial ?.

Anyway, crane in as close to your final location as you can, you will need to rent a crane and get CRT permission unless there is a convenient boatyard.

Then,  find another boat to tow you, or use a combination of bow-hauling and "punting" with a "barge pole".

A friend of mine had an engine failure so he hired a hire boat for a weekend and used that to tow his boat ?.

..............Dave

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Ericpoli said:

Hahahaha bit too far

Bow hauling works well. Two people make it easier. The Chesterfield Canal Trust have run several sponsored pulls. They have a horse too. https://chesterfield-canal-trust.org.uk/dawn-rose-sponsored-boat-pull-day-1-section-1/

As has been said, getting the OK from Canal River Trust and all the other paperwork for this is likely to be so onerous that moving the boat in to position is the least of your worries!

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

I don't think folks are taking this seriously, are there pics? 

Perfectly serious. There are only a few ways to move it on the water, human, or animal, or boat towing, punting.

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I don't think folks are taking this seriously, are there pics? 

See post 2, it's quite do-able, I've hauled OF 4 miles before now.

One of the rules of Tawny Owl crew during the BCN challenges is that the boat never stops moving, engine breakdown/weedhatch problem/fuel etc...it keeps moving. We even started at 8am Sat morning down the Perry Barr or Rushall flight as the chief engineer had decided something needed fixing before we set off and couldnt finish in time....I think we did 4 locks before the engine ran again.

Edited by matty40s

1 hour ago, Ericpoli said:

Morning

thank you

I think a couple of fairies would be able to levitate it into the water for you. Maybe they can even organise a permanent mooring because otherwise they are difficult to find in Saltaire.

14 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I don't think folks are taking this seriously

I provided contact details for the boatyard crane less than a mile from where they want to go.  What more help would you suggest?

18 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

There are only a few ways to move it on the water, human, or animal, or boat towing, punting.

Electric tractor on the towpath ...

• Happy 1

If you are going to manual or horse tow it best ensure the tow is from close to the middle of the boat both crossways and length wise. Otherwise, you will be fighting to prevent the boat diving into the bank. If pulling manually single handed use a pull rope from the back and a control rope from the front. The pull will tend to sheer the boat towards the offside so the front rope stops that.

Moving the boat from a boat yard to its mooring won't be a one time thing. It will need to go back to a boat yard and be lifted out every couple of years for blacking to keep the hull in good condition. Fortunately, canals, including the Leeds and Liverpool, typically come with a tow path!

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Moving the boat from a boat yard to its mooring won't be a one time thing.

Presumably the water tank will need filling and the toilet will need to be emptied.

The addition of an outboard engine mounted on the stern is a simple fix and gives some mobility.

Had a new Colecraft shell craned in at Calcutt boats years ago. Bow hauled it entirely single handed to Leamington . Also did the same from somewhere remote on the N. Stratford to Lapworth. No big deal, others have done much more. Hatton in the pouring rain with a failed gearbox was thoroughly  miserable though. Needs must as they say, stick a rope on it and keep pulling until you get to your destination.

2 hours ago, Bee said:

Had a new Colecraft shell craned in at Calcutt boats years ago. Bow hauled it entirely single handed to Leamington . Also did the same from somewhere remote on the N. Stratford to Lapworth. No big deal, others have done much more. Hatton in the pouring rain with a failed gearbox was thoroughly  miserable though. Needs must as they say, stick a rope on it and keep pulling until you get to your destination.

OP: ignore those who got out of the wrong side this morning - this forum is usually v helpful even to newcomers! (But it is good manners to respond asap)

Bee is right about bow hauling - it is surprisingly easy compared with what you might expect if you have never tried it. The main points to remember are (a) it takes a while to get the boat moving but when it is up to speed it mainly just needs a more modest pull to keep it going (b) you will still need a steerer and, with no prop to help, a typical engined canal boat rudder will need a lot of 'help', including knowledge of fish-tailing (an example of non-linear mechanics!)

Saltaire, when we have passed that way, does seem to be good place to offer facilities to visitors as it is a well known sight-see, but it would be as well to make sure that all permissions are lined up and done in a way that does not upset the competition!

44 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

done in a way that does not upset the competition!

Yes, we wouldn't want any "Are Jay Bargie" with other traders! :D

(For those who don't know the area, that's the name of the cafe/icecream boat moored near Salt's Mill)

Edited by TheBiscuits
formatting

15 hours ago, Ericpoli said:

Morning

thank you

a wide beam would be much more practical and comfortable for the staff and the customers.

• Horror 1

14 hours ago, dmr said:

Have you got the various approvals from CRT to have a static restaurant boat? I assume not because if you have the will and determination to face up to CRT bureaucracy the task of actually moving the boat will be trivial ?.

Anyway, crane in as close to your final location as you can, you will need to rent a crane and get CRT permission unless there is a convenient boatyard.

Then,  find another boat to tow you, or use a combination of bow-hauling and "punting" with a "barge pole".

A friend of mine had an engine failure so he hired a hire boat for a weekend and used that to tow his boat ?.

..............Dave

Worth checking if thinking about doing this that towing another boat is sometimes not allowed under the terms and conditions of the hire.

I once had to decline towing another boat on the Soar because of this.

Of course you may not be bothered by this but if something does go wrong or something gets damaged you may need to prepare for a difficult conversation with the yard.

30 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

OP: ignore those who got out of the wrong side this morning - this forum is usually v helpful even to newcomers! (But it is good manners to respond asap)

Bee is right about bow hauling - it is surprisingly easy compared with what you might expect if you have never tried it. The main points to remember are (a) it takes a while to get the boat moving but when it is up to speed it mainly just needs a more modest pull to keep it going (b) you will still need a steerer and, with no prop to help, a typical engined canal boat rudder will need a lot of 'help', including knowledge of fish-tailing (an example of non-linear mechanics!)

Saltaire, when we have passed that way, does seem to be good place to offer facilities to visitors as it is a well known sight-see, but it would be as well to make sure that all permissions are lined up and done in a way that does not upset the competition!

Red bit not true in the pull with the back rope and steer with the front rope procedure I explained is adopted. In fact at manual towing speeds it probably gives the best directional control and the ability to put the boat wherever you want it across the canal.