Storm Evert

JJPHG

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, JJPHG said:

Looking more and more  likely that storm Evert will make an appearance on Wednesday/Thursday.

Fairly high winds forecast here for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. But then you'd expect Evert to come over in three sets.

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Scratch that thought ....................

Framed Print - Iconic Poster Tennis Girl Scratching Her Bum (Classic  Picture) | eBay

i had that poster on my wall for approx 5mins until mum saw it, pulled it down and tore it into 1cm squares :( 

Edited by Hudds Lad

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

How very metric of her.

it was her trademark over-reaction to things that didn’t fit her moral code, she once did similar to a Ford-vehicle-titled grumble mag she found stashed under my mattress. thing is it must have taken her ages, she never said anything just left the pieces where she’d found it. i will admit to spending several hours trying to tape it back together, but failed miserably :D 

• Happy 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, MoominPapa said:

Gusts to 51 mph hereabouts. Note to self: avoid mooring under large trees from Tuesday night.

MP.

I try to avoid mooring under trees at any time, regardless of the time of year or weather there is a down side, water dripping, birds shitting, sap dripping, leaves falling, and bloody great lumps of wood falling

35 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I try to avoid mooring under trees at any time, regardless of the time of year or weather there is a down side, water dripping, birds shitting, sap dripping, leaves falling, and bloody great lumps of wood falling

Yebut shade is quite nice in the summer when your home is a steel box. I remember a sojourn on the Gloucester and Sharpness during a sunny period. The towpath never changes side, so it's always on the north or west of the canal, depending on how it meanders. No shade at all when the towpath trees are north of you and a wide ship canal is south. Some afternoon and evening shade when the towpath is west.

MP.

2 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

it was her trademark over-reaction to things that didn’t fit her moral code, she once did similar to a Ford-vehicle-titled grumble mag she found stashed under my mattress. thing is it must have taken her ages, she never said anything just left the pieces where she’d found it. i will admit to spending several hours trying to tape it back together, but failed miserably :D 

Recently?   And you are how old?

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I do understand your issues with the tree Mr Ditchcrawler but unfortunately...

'Ang on it's Sunday and I'm not at work, nearly caught me out there

:)

try to avoid mooring under trees at any time, regardless of the time of year or weather there is a down side, water dripping, birds shitting, sap dripping, leaves falling, and bloody great lumps of wood falling

Then there is  the lightening strikes and squirrel after nuts. This storm looks like it might cause some damage ! 

28 minutes ago, Heartland said:

This storm looks like it might cause some damage ! 

B.B.C. reckons a maximum of 48 m.p.h., on Thursday morning I think. So, not as severe as some that we had a few weeks ago. Whatever speed it is, round here we'll get it full force because it's so flat that there's nothing to stop it.

8 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Winds only forecast as 20mph round here.  Obviously much more further south.  But not as far south as the OP's location - Queensland, which puzzles me a bit. :wacko:

:) Throwback to my met forecasting days.  Meteorology was and still is my hobby.  Apart from the odd cyclone and some cracking thunderstorms its often quite boring here (though as fate would have it Thursday here looks like dumping 50-100 mm) and I do keep an eye out on proper weather back home for family. 

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, Ianws said:
22 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Scratch that thought ....................

Nice welcome to new younger boaters. I grew up in the 70s/80s when sexism was rife. I thought we had moved on. 

So did I but have you seen all the adverts that try to sell perfume for ladies. makes the days of formula 1 and boxing seem tame.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stilllearning said:

They are naming storms after tennis players now?

Yes, the next one will be Storm Henman. It tries really, really hard to become a great storm but never quite manages it.