C&RT say don't empty your compost toilet in our bins.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Just now, Morningmist said:

Not to sure about burning plastic not good for the environment defiantly unpleasant for passers-by and probably a bit messy in the stove. Hence, we use disposable waxed paper composting bags 

I get that but its in a bag any way. Never did like burning plastic on the stove. But  a lot of people do. as can be bourne out in the piles of ash in the hedgerows.

56 minutes ago, matty40s said:

But you may need to re ballast the boat.

Do they still have cattle on the roof at Milton Keynes?

I think cows are just too big to go under bridges, it's really not a practical alternative to solid fuel.

Edited by LadyG

5 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Do they still have cattle on the roof at Milton Keynes?

I think cows are just too big to go under bridges, it's really not a practical alternative to solid fuel.

They never did, they were in a field, then got moved to the INTU shopping centre when the field got redeveloped.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Is that the one where the fairy godmother magics the waste away, or the incinerating one? ?

No, it is the one where the unattractive is taken away in a pumpkin cart in the middle of the night. (It was not called Night Soil for nothing!)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Is that the one where the fairy godmother magics the waste away, or the incinerating one? ?

We are use to people moaning that the gas ran out while having a shower or cooking dinner but this could be a new one

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Imagine for a moment that boats had no toilets and the CRT and marinas had no provision for disposing of toilet waste.

Tomorrow, boats could choose what toilet to install and the CRT could choose what toilet waste disposal service to provide. 

Given the options now available with their pros and cons, what would boaters choose and what would the CRT/marinas like them to choose to minimise the cost of disposal infrastructure and disposal of the waste?

11 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

Imagine for a moment that boats had no toilets and the CRT and marinas had no provision for disposing of toilet waste.

Tomorrow, boats could choose what toilet to install and the CRT could choose what toilet waste disposal service to provide. 

Given the options now available with their pros and cons, what would boaters choose and what would the CRT/marinas like them to choose to minimise the cost of disposal infrastructure and disposal of the waste?

I would still have a composting loo, for me it's a valuable resource which helps grow vegetables 

7 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I would still have a composting loo, for me it's a valuable resource which helps grow vegetables 

Don't you think that the CRT would prefer you to have a flushing pump-out toilet which blocks at the least convenient moments and then store many hundreds of litres of slurry inside your boat, taking up a great deal of valuable storage space?

Instead of providing a small bin for dessicated human waste, perhaps the CRT would prefer to excavate and install huge slurry tanks, expensive and less than reliable vacuum pumps and associated housings and power supplies etc. to deal with your pump-out needs.

Instead of having to dispose of human waste that is dessicated to a fraction of its original weight and volume, maybe they'd prefer you to actually increase the volume and weight of your toilet waste by perhaps 600% by adding valuable drinking water to it so that they can have it carted across the countryside in huge, polluting tankers.

Is it possible that, if composting/dessicating toilets had come first, that both boat owners and the CRT would be horrified if someone were to suggest pump-outs as an alternative?

• Greenie 3

1 minute ago, Bargebuilder said:

Don't you think that the CRT would prefer you to have a flushing pump-out toilet which blocks at the least convenient moments and then store many hundreds of litres of slurry inside your boat, taking up a great deal of valuable storage space?

Instead of providing a small bin for dessicated human waste, perhaps the CRT would prefer to excavate and install huge slurry tanks, expensive and less than reliable vacuum pumps and associated housings and power supplies etc. to deal with your pump-out needs.

Instead of having to dispose of human waste that is dessicated to a fraction of its original weight and volume, maybe they'd prefer you to actually increase the volume and weight of your toilet waste by perhaps 600% by adding valuable drinking water to it so that they can have it carted across the countryside in huge, polluting tankers.

Is it possible that, if composting/dessicating toilets had come first, that both boat owners and the CRT would be horrified if someone were to suggest pump-outs as an alternative?

Given that most users of such toilets just crap into a bag then bin it I think your view is slightly biased to something that never happens. 

2 minutes ago, frangar said:

Given that most users of such toilets just crap into a bag then bin it I think your view is slightly biased to something that never happens. 

Such a reply simply shows that the author has no first hand experience of any sort of separating/composting toilet. I say that, because the biggest advantage of either system is the infrequency of emptying, so why would one frequently empty fresh toilet waste when it is much easier to only do so every couple of months, giving it plenty of time to reduce its volume and weight by evaporation and maybe a little composting as well.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

I don't think you are aware of what happens to "stuff" pumped out of boats toilets when you talk about slurry tanks and polluting tankers.

In the UK there is a sewage system which directly takes toilet waste  in big pipes to sewage works where it is dealt with by going through many processes which treat the sewage and reuse (or direct to places where it can be reused) all the various components.  

Why should boaters not buy their own small bins for dessicated human waste? Although they would need a lot of them  to keep the waste till it was dessicated. A process which can take up to a year, I gather. .