Can we cruise again?

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, trane said:

But I can drive to the boat every day, have a picnic , walk/cycle the towpath as long as I return home every night. How is that not taking the virus to others [assuming that i have the virus]

I just typed a long reply and it disappeared!  Short answer;

1. Length of time you'll be away.

2.  Using local businesses, shops etc.

6 minutes ago, Rickent said:

I really do not see how anybody can be stopped from doing as they please as the news on BBC are reporting that the police have no powers to enforce social distancing in England.

Do you base all your actions and behaviours on whether the police can lawfully stop you?

12 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

That line rather demonstrates that you to haven't the foggiest idea of what the government want, so much for your claiming that it was all very clear. If the Government wanted us to 'stop at home where possible' I would have little or no argument but they did away with the 'Stay at Home' advice, or didn't you notice?  My belief, with infections still running at getting on for 4000 per day (3,877) and deaths at over 200 per day, is that we are winding down the lockdown about 2 weeks early (bearing in mind we were 2 weeks late going into it) and the message from Government, rather than your interpretation of it, is that we need to 'get out there'. You can take limitless exercise so how do three rounds of golf and a tennis session match your idea of 'stop at home'? After that, should I wish to do so I can drive from Birmingham to the North York Moors and go for a walk, how does that fit in with your idea 'stop at home'.

The lack of logic of the current proposals was highlighted by the primary school teacher who asked the PM the question of why she was expected to now teach a class full of children (whose infective state she would have no idea of) but was not permitted to go and visit her mother who has been isolated for the past 6 weeks so it should be reasonably safe to suggest she isn't infected. Joined up thinking? probably not.

The final issue for me is that, despite the rhetoric, do I trust the Government to re-impose a lockdown should the infection rates start to skyrocket again? Since we were 2 weeks late imposing the the first one, it would be expected that we will be 2 weeks late re-imposing another one since to do so might suggest that they were premature in lifting the first one. I would expect an increase in infections whenever the lockdown gets lifted, but if you look at figures from other countries, Spain were down to 700 infections a day before winding down the lockdown, they are now back to 3000, if we start our wind-down at 4000 and show the same sort of increase, we are going to be back up to 17,000 infections a day.

Even after drudging through your essay I still see its you that havnt the foggiest " again " Unless you need to go to work to keep the economy going the government realy realy dont want people out and about, its as plain as the nose on your face and not hard to understand. they are allowing it much like they allow hands free mobile fone use even though its stupid and dangerous. Needs must.

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Even after drudging through your essay I still see its you that havnt the foggiest " again " Unless you need to go to work to keep the economy going the government realy realy dont want people out and about, its as plain as the nose on your face and not hard to understand. they are allowing it much like they allow hands free mobile fone use even though its stupid and dangerous. Needs must.

Except that it's not, if that were the case why would 'limitless exercise' be permissible? Why remove the 'Stay at Home' message, if they wanted you to stay at home? It is clearly you that has the difficulty in understanding what they want people to do. They are trying to encourage people to come out, otherwise they'd recommend you stay to home.....possibly.

9 minutes ago, Rickent said:

I really do not see how anybody can be stopped from doing as they please as the news on BBC are reporting that the police have no powers to enforce social distancing in England.

This is something that we know, but why do the media feel it is responsible to underline that fact, making sure it is crystal clear. I haven't seen or heard such a report, but the report would be unhelpful. At least. 

Just now, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Except that it's not, if that were the case why would 'limitless exercise' be permissible? Why remove the 'Stay at Home' message, if they wanted you to stay at home? It is clearly you that has the difficulty in understanding what they want people to do. They are trying to encourage people to come out, otherwise they'd recommend you stay to home.....possibly.

coming out and excercising is fine just coming out and about as before is not what they want as spreading the cold will continue, like they have said sixty four billion times lets not undo the good that we have done by being locked down, its common se..........................oh wait a minute, that is blatantly not very common.

2 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

just typed a long reply and it disappeared!  Short answer;

Not sure I altogether agree with you. One person moving to an area should prevent less of a risk than numerous short visits by a large number of different people. That is what the current guidelines allow. CART will open up the waterways for liveaboards who will presumably now travel the system, so there seems to be some acceptance that people will move away from the area they have lived in.

Also, all the shops are shut--I would take groceries with me which I would replenish as would a liveaboard.

We're still a few weeks away from June and the guidelines will probably change anyway

11 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I just typed a long reply and it disappeared!  Short answer;

Do you base all your actions and behaviours on whether the police can lawfully stop you?

Of course I do not, I never said that and you know I didn't say that, but there will be certain sections of society that will see that headline as an excuse to do as they please, that was the point.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, trane said:

Not sure I altogether agree with you. One person moving to an area should prevent less of a risk than numerous short visits by a large number of different people. That is what the current guidelines allow. CART will open up the waterways for liveaboards who will presumably now travel the system, so there seems to be some acceptance that people will move away from the area they have lived in.

Also, all the shops are shut--I would take groceries with me which I would replenish as would a liveaboard.

We're still a few weeks away from June and the guidelines will probably change anyway

I'm not sure I agree with me either! :wacko: I'm just suggesting possible reasons.  Staying on your boat has gotten tangled up with the second home thing which is as much a political thing as a practical thing.  Lots of Tory areas have entrenched animosity towards second homers.

3 minutes ago, Rickent said:

Of course I do not, I never said that and you know I didn't say that, but there will be certain sections of society that will see that headline as an excuse to do as they please, that was the point.

Problem isn't you, it's those who get their ideas from posts like yours.

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

When I first encounter locks, I shall be washing my hands after each and every lock.  Wearing gloves is pointless IMO.  It just means you may have virus on your gloves instead of your hands.  If you then touch your face, the outcome is the same.  Your hands are easier to wash too.  Disposable gloves may have some value IF you discard them after every lock but that's probably more bother than washing your hands.

Hope you're going to use a gentle lanolin type of soap,otherwise after half a dozen locks or so your hands will be as rough as a number seven bastard file!

5 minutes ago, Rickent said:

It's been a common trait of the press to stir it. 

6 minutes ago, Rickent said:

there will be certain sections of society that will see that headline as an excuse to do as they please, that was the point.

Unfortunately yes: these last weeks have shown that there are more yahoos in our midst than we would like.

Just now, Mad Harold said:

Hope you're going to use a gentle lanolin type of soap,otherwise after half a dozen locks or so your hands will be as rough as a number seven bastard file!

You assume my hands aren't like that already?  Anyway, half a dozen locks isn't the issue, it's 30+ locks that may start causing an issue.  Still preferable to catching the lurgee though.

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

coming out and excercising is fine just coming out and about as before is not what they want as spreading the cold will continue, like they have said sixty four billion times lets not undo the good that we have done by being locked down, its common se..........................oh wait a minute, that is blatantly not very common.

Once again, that is merely your interpretation, not the message sent out by Government who didn't 'accidentally' remove the 'Stay at Home' message, it was a deliberate choice to do so.  It is a binary choice, do you want me to stay at home/do you not want me to stay at home there isn't anything in between, and they have opted for the latter. They want people to go out and exercise, have a picnic, go swimming, take the kids to school, go to work, etc.etc.etc. and in your view this all means 'stay at home where possible':wacko:

1 minute ago, Mad Harold said:

And no broken skin allowed. 

7 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Once again, that is merely your interpretation, not the message sent out by Government who didn't 'accidentally' remove the 'Stay at Home' message, it was a deliberate choice to do so.  It is a binary choice, do you want me to stay at home/do you not want me to stay at home there isn't anything in between, and they have opted for the latter. They want people to go out and exercise, have a picnic, go swimming, take the kids to school, go to work, etc.etc.etc. and in your view this all means 'stay at home where possible':wacko:

Correct stay at home were possible. I dont have to work so I would be a pratt if I suddenly, and the other many people like myself suddenly started going out willy nilly. When the gov open the pubs and the rest of whatever at the end of their staged reopening fully then and only then do they want us all to go out. They dont want workers to use public transport but accept that many have to, staying locked down will do more damage than the virus ever could so a staged reopening is what will happen and the deaths will yo yo.

4 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

You assume my hands aren't like that already?  Anyway, half a dozen locks isn't the issue, it's 30+ locks that may start causing an issue.  Still preferable to catching the lurgee though.

You can do 30+ locks in a day !!!

I once did 20 in one day single handed,but did I ache the following day!

Actually thinking about hand washing,I may use disposable gloves,not the transparent type,but the blue or white ones that you see garage mechanics using.

These I think will be ok to keep on while washing hands,so avoiding chapped,sore hands.

15 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Problem isn't you, it's those who get their ideas from posts like yours.

Sorry , but if people make decisions from "posts like mine" on a canal forum then we really are f@#ked.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, trane said:

But I can drive to the boat every day, have a picnic , walk/cycle the towpath as long as I return home every night. How is that not taking the virus to others [assuming that i have the virus]

For a start, your first duty is to avoid getting the virus: even if you're sure you'll be just fine, that's by the far the most effective way to avoid giving it to others, which is highest priority of all. To do that you need to stay at home as much as possible. Staying at home all the time is difficult, so you can justify going out sometimes, but only if you have to. Don't go to the shops more than you need to eat, and don't go out to exercise more than you need to stay healthy and sane. When you do go out, avoid other people as much as possible, and try and have a plan in advance to do this; It's good to go an exercise where you can be reasonably sure there won't be other people around, if you get there and find that against expectation it's crowded, go somewhere else, and avoid planning to go anywhere you know will be crowded. In short , though you _can_ "drive to the boat every day, have a picnic , walk/cycle the towpath" that would be a rather anti-social thing to do unless you were sure that the towpath in question was uncrowded.

MP.

• Greenie 1

Regarding the CRT announcement. I sought some clarification on their "avoid using locks and manned structures if possible". Here is their helpful response:

Staffed structures will take longer to re-open so we advise to check online before you travel for specific details as they may not be open. In relation to the use of locks, it’s about keeping your journey short and recognising that while they have mostly been out of use for 7 weeks there may be faults that we haven’t identified or had time to check yet – we’re doing that over the next few weeks, so avoid if possible relates to this. We hope this helps to clarify your concern. Thank you.

Chat conversation end

Type a message...

11 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

You can do 30+ locks in a day !!!

I once did 20 in one day single handed,but did I ache the following day!

In my younger years when I was 50 I did 54 locks followed by 50 locks followed by 34 locks single handed.

Lowesmoor Basin (Worcester)  to the bottom of Stoke Bruene.  Three 18 hour days. Then the next 3 days wasn't as hard, I carried on down to the Slough Arm (18,22 and 30 locks) ;)

Before DC says it  I was helped through Bascote staircase by a forum member.

2 hours ago, Higgs said:

I understood that to be the correct use of the apostrophe, where a plural was indicated. I may be wrong. 

First, no offence was intended, hence the smiley.

Secondly, I really did think it was a smudge on the screen, honest.

Lastly, the apostrophe was after "their" which is a word that is plural already so the punctuation mark is not required. I too, may be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

Right then all you ‘experts’.

Am I a ‘at risk‘ person?

I’m 67, just, you missed my birthday

I Have had two triple heart bypass operations.

I have had issues with my ex thyroid. I no longer have my thyroid gland!

I have recently, call me careless if you wish, lost my gall bladder. January this year)

I have not had a letter from my GP saying I am a ‘at risk’ person. My GP has gone into hibernation.

So am I a ‘at risk’ person or should I just carry on as I have been doing?

Me and the boss are anxious to get moving, admittingly with changed plans, the plan is, we don’t have one!!

In reality, I think we’d like to move on in the next couple of weeks as the notice from CRT is suggesting. But as many on this very forum believe, is it too early? I think it probably is.

My theory is that the profs and experts are experimenting with the virus (and us) to see if and when the virus has given in. The NHS has all the Nightingale wards ready and able to cope with another influx of the virus. Are we guinea pigs in the big picture?