Saturday 25th January - The day has arrived for my return.

huami

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

I think the point was that sadly some views we may wish to be things of the past are still prevalent amongst some of the younger generation. 

Old eejuts, young eejuts, makes no difference to me.

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Peeps seem to think it's only do called dinosaurs that think badly of homosexuals. It isn't, nowts changed. 

I didn't say that though.  And you comment was aimed at me.

3 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Old eejuts, young eejuts, makes no difference to me.

I didn't say that though.  And you comment was aimed at me.

Just off into a pub in Oxford I will leave you all to it lol. 

9 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Your'e boat is called 'Whale Gulper'? And I thought our boat had a stupid name!

No, thank god :) Sounds like a good name for a primer grey wide beam!

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Er, isn't that how we all learned to speak?

We learn our words from our parents, but sometimes choose to repeat their thoughts and phrases rather than using our own.

Child, about 7 years old, just outside Manchester....

child "is that your boat?"

me, "No, its my friends boat, I am just helping her through the locks"

child "but its a F******* woman, why are you F***** helping a F******* woman, the F****** woman should help her F******* self"

At least he didn't throw any stones.

.............Dave

8 minutes ago, dmr said:

We learn our words from our parents, but sometimes choose to repeat their thoughts and phrases rather than using our own.

Child, about 7 years old, just outside Manchester....

child "is that your boat?"

me, "No, its my friends boat, I am just helping her through the locks"

child "but its a F******* woman, why are you F***** helping a F******* woman, the F****** woman should help her F******* self"

At least he didn't throw any stones.

.............Dave

F...abulous?

The OP can call the boat whatever he wishes, looking how he advertises his sexuality on his profile he may do the same with the boat starting with the name. He must however realise this will draw attention which he may want and what he is after, but it will also draw other attention that he may not want, this he will have to be prepared for. It could quickly turn his new life into a nightmare, I hope not as living on the canals and travelling is a great life and should be enjoyed not dreaded and feared. Only time will tell.

Edited by PD1964

2 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

The OP can call the boat whatever he wishes, looking how he advertises his sexuality on his profile he may do the same with the boat starting with the name. He must however realise this will draw attention which he may want and what he is after, but it will also draw other attention that he may not want, this he will have to be prepared for. It could quickly turn his new life into a nightmare, I hope not as living on the canals and travelling is a great life and should be enjoyed not dreaded and feared. Only time will tell.

Thank gawd he found this forum then. He would otherwise have been living in complete ignorance (where is that tongue in cheek emoji).

I am aware of a group of gay young men who spent a lot of time on a widebeam, they were good friendly people and appeared broad shouldered and worldly-wise. They were eventually driven off the cut by constant homophobic abuse and threats (from fishermen not other boaters). Not everybody on the cut is tolerant.

...................Dave

2 hours ago, dmr said:

"how much does it cost" question is Much more common in the Black Country than anywhere else.

No,no!  The question I have been asked twice this week, in the Black Country, is “are you the boater who carries a gun”.  The first time I instantly replied in the negative, the second time I indicated that I was, and asked the little so ‘n’ so what he had just lobbed in the water ahead of me.  He looked a little sheepish, and assured me that it was nothing that would damage my boat.

It’s all terribly Peaky Blinders round here! 

49 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Thank gawd he found this forum then. He would otherwise have been living in complete ignorance (where is that tongue in cheek emoji).

A lot of these Newbies live in a Rosy and Jim bubble and fantasy canal life world, I don't understand why anyone would want to bring attention to themselves, which could turn out nasty. If you live in the real world you can see the point, there are unpleasant people on the canals and around them, why give them opportunity?

Edited by PD1964

5 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

A lot of these Newbies live in a Rosy and Jim bubble and fantasy canal life world, I don't understand why anyone would want to bring attention to themselves, which could turn out nasty. If you live in the real world you can see the point, there are unpleasant people on the canals and around them, why give them opportunity?

As my learned friend said earlier in the thread more succinctly than I ever could:

suspect this is not his first rodeo.

• Greenie 1

https://www.whiltonmarina.co.uk/used-narrowboats/details/5082.aspx

When I first saw that it was a 44' with a cruiser stern, my first thought was - crikey that's gonna be too small!  But looking at the pictures, the fit out looks very clever and really makes the best use of the space.  For one person, living simply as a liveaboard, I can see how it would work.  They've even managed to cram a pullman in! 

It wouldn't be right for me, as I have way too much stuff and it just wouldn't all fit in there (not even a proper wardrobe and no space for a washing machine), but we're all different, aren't we?  It does look very well looked after.

I would strongly advise getting some solar panels fitted, before you even take possesion.  A good amount would be around 400 watts (or more).  We're almost back into "solar season" and the panels will probably have paid for themselves by the end of the year.  You'll also benefit from not having to run noisy engines to charge batteries, and will save on wear and tear.  You could even look at incorporating the panels into some low level roof boxes, for useful storage.

This looks like the old Liverpool Boats "Kingfisher" range, so obviously copied by this company. The Liverpool design was well thought out with the little but fully functional galley, dinette and adequate seating area with solid fuel fire.  The 45ft was an ideal size and go anywhere boat for the single person. Solar panels and roof boxes all over the roof is personal preference, being single handed I like my roof to be clear and un-cluttered for when I have have to use it in locks. Looks a good starting boat for a single handed person.

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

https://www.whiltonmarina.co.uk/used-narrowboats/details/5082.aspx image #8.

Hopefully they will get the loo fixed before Gayzingalone picks the boat up... ???

In case anyone isn't sure, at Whilton they usually do that.  They let you view boats on your own and clearly, in the past, people thought it was ok to test out the facilities fully.

11 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

In case anyone isn't sure, at Whilton they usually do that.  They let you view boats on your own and clearly, in the past, people thought it was ok to test out the facilities fully.

Yes, it's to stop customers taking the.....or perhaps taking a....