End of an Era

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

Having owned Helvetia for eighteen years we have finally decided to call it a day, and she has been placed with Rugby Boats at Stowe Hill for sale. Details will not appear on the web site for several weeks as Dominic is about to depart for a well earned holiday, but if anyone is interested, they can talk to Steve, who will happily show them over the boat, or they can PM me for further details.

As no photos will appear for a few weeks, here are a few taken very recently to show what she looks like:-

Last%20Trip%20026a_zpsfq83rpux.jpg

Last%20Trip%20025a_zpsxutwhwzh.jpg

Edited by David Schweizer

Having owned Helvetia for eighteen years we have finally decided to call it a day, and she has been placed with Rugby Boats at Stowe Hill for sale. Details will not appear on the web site for several weeks as Dominic is about to depart for a well earned holiday, but if anyone is interested, they can talk to Steve, who will happily show them over the boat, or they can PM me for further details.

As no photos will appear for a few weeks, here are a few taken very recently to show what she looks like:-

Last%20Trip%20026a_zpsfq83rpux.jpg

Last%20Trip%20025a_zpsxutwhwzh.jpg

Good luck with the sale.

David & Jan best wishes for the future.

If ever you need a "fix" in the future you know who to call. smile.png

Having been aboard on a few occasions she is a cracking boat, very well maintained and any future owner will have a wonderful boat.

Edited by Ray T

Thanks for all the good wishes, It really will be the end of an era, especially for me, as this year marks fifty years since i first became involved with canals and narrowboats. But everything has to come to an end, and I would rather quit before my aging body tells me to stop. I may turn up to the occassional historic boat rally, but I doubt that I shall be persuaded to take a tiller in my hand again.

As for the boat, I am unwilling to anounce the asking price until the boat is placed onto Rugby Boats website, but it will reflect the build quality and condition. if anyone is seriously interested I would prefer them to contact the broker, I am, however, prepared to provide a few details:-,

Built in 1982 by Braunston Canal Services, steelwork by Roger Farrington and Dave Thomas.

Length 52 ft, Shell 10mm base, 6mm hull sides, and 5mm cabin sides and roof.

Engine BMC 1.5 with PRM 160D (now re-named 260D) re-built by Jonathon Hewitt of UCC Braunston in 2006 (1,600 hours since re-build)

The Interior has been almost completely re-fitted it pine and mahogany trim to provide spacious accomodation, and lots of storage space. Four berths - 2 singles (convertable to cross boat double) in back cabin and a convertable double bed settee unit in the saloon.

Porta Potti toilet with a second complete spare unit.

The exterior was competely stripped back to bare metal, all fittings removed and re-painted by John Sanderson at Dadfords Wharf in 2012. Signwriting by Dave Moore and all Roses and Castles by Ron Hough.

New Boat Safety Certificate in July 2015

New Hull Survey, Hull Blacked, New Sacrificial Anodes, and Stern Gland Re-Packed - September 2015

Helvetia is a traditional (some people say pretty) looking boat from a Classic Builder and is in very nice condition. She would idealy suit a family looking for a good solid holiday cruising boat, which has some individuality.

Here are a couple of images of the interior ( please excuse the clutter)

2014%20-%2001cc_zpsv4xae32f.jpg

Interior%2001_zps3euplzr8.jpg

Edited by David Schweizer

David,

Always enjoyed your posts, hope you will continue to post.

The pictures of your boat look lovely and am sure that you will find her next owner quickly. I will keep an eye on Rugby Boats website though I don't think we are quite in the right time to fully own a boat just yet....

Sorry to hear that you are leaving goat ng behind. Although we have never met, I quickly sussed out that you posts are informative withoutvyoubhaving an axe to grind.

Best of luck for the future.

Do you intend to continue to post on here or will it be a complete break?

Just as an aside, showed the piccys of your boat to Margaret, asking where it was taken. After thoughts, she recognised it as Braunston Bottom Lock. We are very familiar with the location.

Then I pointed out that there is also a clue on the side of Helvecia.

Martyn