Cycling on Towpaths

Heartland

Featured Posts

Sustrans is an organisation that has promoted cycle ways on disused railways, minor roads and canal towpaths. It is an organisation now 20 years old. Cycling has its benefits it brings increased use to our towpaths and at Lichfield is helping to bring a disused canal corridor back into use and at the same time assisting the restoration of Lichfield Canal.

However not all cyclist care for other users of the towpath be they walkers or boaters. Waterway owners (CRT, Scottish Waterways or others) have a duty to ensure sufficient rules and regulations are in force to curb the activities of the rogue cyclists. I am not aware of CRT locally enforcing any regulations regarding cyclists, perhaps somebody can advise if any exist?

Rogue cyclists are a particular hazard in Birmingham, they cycle at speed through pedestrian areas, often choosing the footpath in preference to the road.

Part of the canal towpaths in Birmingham form a section of the advertised Sustrans network. Signage is poor and both CRT and Sustrans could do better in this regard. Cycling routes need better signs and walkers need better advice. As to Cyclist all should be made to have a bell fitted. with a fine imposed upon failure to do so. Fines should also be made on those who cycle at speed past walkers, fishermen and boaters working locks on the waterway.

There seems to be a facet of our society where a selfish "do as one please" attitude appears to give the right for rogue cyclist actions. Here in the Midlands it has become a sad fact that a minority has the freedom to do as they please and tars all cyclists with a bad reputation. Fortunately most cyclists are responsible users of the towpath.

Ray Shill

This seems to be a topic which won't lie - for good reasons, there's many unresolved issues around it. For awareness though, there are several other previous threads discussing the issues at length - I'll try to dig up some links which would be worth reading.

Here you go, happy reading:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=78184&hl=cycling

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=77711

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=77684&page=1

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=77615

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=77448&page=1

S Signage is poor and both CRT and Sustrans could do better

I find that amazing with Sustrans involved. I live on one of the many variations of the C2C routes, Sustrans has filled every spare post with a multiplicity of signs. At one point there was one halfway down a stretch of road a couple of hundred yards long with 8 foot high walls each side. How they thought anyone could get lost there I do not know. I think they assume cyclists can't use maps.

Sorry rant over but the sheer waste of materials in the hundreds of signs annoys me.

As an avid towpath cyclist I understand boaters and walkers and fisherfolks frustrations, but in the main I see here in the southwest courteous cyclists, but even we have words with the few exceptions (as they pass !). I don't use the towpaths in for example working hours when I guess those on the commute are pushing along. But my local canal is mentioned here K&A western end http://nabo.org.uk/index.php/issues/other-live-issues/704-better-towpaths . Not sure what can be done to be honest, as even if you install S barriers or V ones it will have the same effect as speed cameras on roads the culprits will just speed between them. It's a problem but how much do you justify spending on the few?

Ade

This seems to be a topic which won't lie - for good reasons, there's many unresolved issues around it. For awareness though, there are several other previous threads discussing the issues at length - I'll try to dig up some links which would be worth reading.

Here you go, happy reading:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=78184&hl=cycling

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=77711

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=77684&page=1

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=77615

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=77448&page=1

Of course I don't know, but perhaps the OP is fully aware of the existing threads and is attempting to start an objective and assertive thread that doesn't drift off into name calling and personal insults.

......Fines should also be made on those who cycle at speed past walkers, fishermen and boaters working locks on the waterway........

Fortunately most cyclists are responsible users of the towpath.

Ray Shill

I do echo most of what you say and the tone you use.

You appear to be suggesting that boaters should only be acknowledged by other towpath users when they are working locks. However I also require to use the towpath without being bullied by others when I'm tying up, clearing the prop and a myriad of occasions when I need it.

I in turn step out of the way for other users, keep my pins as close to the edge of the bank as is practicable and as visible as possible.

I don't jump off my boat into the path of anyone else expecting them to take evasive action, nor do I walk all over fisher-people's expensive tackle for no better reason than I can.

What I do observe be it on towpaths, pavements or in the park etc. is that a large number of cyclists will slow down but only that. They don't like stopping and will attempt to bully those with feet to the point that evasive action is required by somebody.

If I'm expected to stop and think before stepping off my boat or when preparing to move on the towpath because there may be others about including poorly controlled heavy pieces of machinery coming my way. Why aren't they? I don't read about walkers colliding with each other or boaters injuring another's dog.

I certainly hope that most cyclists are responsible users of the towpath, however most people don't litter, drink and drive or selfishly take part in thousands of anti-social activities. It doesn't mean there is no need to manage these issues.

I'm considering attaching a bell to my belt buckle so I only have to slow down when somebody else gets in my way and not actually stop, it seems to be the message commonly understood.

Boaters, of course require acknowledgement when mooring and sometimes pulling over for wider craft- for example to allow commercial craft to pass (Aire & Calder etc). Walkers stand back, and sometimes assist. Not all cyclist are so tolerant.

Bikers could be equipped with alpine cow-bells, like some daft old labradors I have seen.

The speed of the approaching jingle would alert walkers to the fast ones - giving them the chance either to block their way or to stand aside, depending on their testosterone level

even if you install S barriers or V ones it will have the same effect as speed cameras on roads the culprits will just speed between them. I

S barriers will at least remind bikers that they do not have some god-given right of way.

I got so fed up of inconsiderate cyclists in Stoke that I took to closing gates across the towpath. My only regret is that I did have a pocket full of cable ties!! Now moored at Leek where the perfectly serviceable towpath is being dug up and replaced with a surface suitable for high speed cycling. Incidentally there is a business opportunity in Stoke selling bike bells as most do not seem to have them.

These comments would lend support to the drafting of a cyclist charter and maybe a registration system to help trace the very small minority of persistent cycling nuisances, before something more serious happens.

. Incidentally there is a business opportunity in Stoke selling bike bells as most do not seem to have them.

What about deaf people on the towpath? Canal towpaths are ideal for those with a disability, and one blind person I worked with said he felt safer on a towpath than on a roadside pavement, though that was before cyclists used the towpath in any number. Just ringing your bell is not enough.

Now moored at Leek where the perfectly serviceable towpath is being dug up and replaced with a surface suitable for high speed cycling.

Upside for boaters is now we can get the shopping trolley all the way to the boat.It's a long carry from Morrisons at leek. ( where's the emocon for tonuge in cheek )

These comments would lend support to the drafting of a cyclist charter and maybe a registration system to help trace the very small minority of persistent cycling nuisances, before something more serious happens.

There is already one in place, Since the Nationalization of the Waterway, all cyclists were required to posses a Towpath Cycling Permit, which were issued free of charge to licenced boats and cost a £1 (to cover admin and postage) to non boaters, somewhere I still have ours. However before the creation of CaRT, BW seemed to abandon the requirement, and CaRT do not appear to have any plans to re-introduce them.

Edited by David Schweizer

Cycling has become the beneficiary of government grants encouraging health and fitness through the likes of sustrans. It's all somewhat misrepresented, misunderstood, and misused. The latter by the lycra clad speed merchant on multi thousand pound bikes. Bad enough they command so much of a road when two or more ride. Registration would demand policing, and that has long gone with the lengthsmen, replaced by the hand held computerised boat checker-cum-warden. Changing times, and changing people.

There is already one in place, Since the Nationalization of the Waterway, all cyclists were required to posses a Towpath Cycling Permit, which were issued free of charge to licenced boats and cost a £1 (to cover admin and postage) to non boaters, somewhere I still have ours. However before the creation of CaRT, BW seemed to abandon the requirement, and CaRT do not appear to have any plans to re-introduce them.

In theory. Is there any evidence of BW taking action against any cyclist not in possession of a permit when one was required?

In my youth I cycled towpaths extensively, never had a permit and was never asked to show one. I think the whole think was simply a backside-covering exercise so that BW could disclaim any responsibility for any harm to cyclists on the basis that they weren't permitted to be there.

In my youth I cycled towpaths extensively, never had a permit and was never asked to show one. I think the whole think was simply a backside-covering exercise so that BW could disclaim any responsibility for any harm to cyclists on the basis that they weren't permitted to be there.

When I was carrying out my survey of former G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. narrow boats (1989 - 2000) I cycled towpaths extensively, and at that time I had cycle permits for mine and my sons bikes. I was never asked a single time to produce them.

When I first came to the canals in Birmingham a towpath permit was then a requirement if not accompanying a boat. I was frequently challenged by B.W.B. staff and the production of the towpath permit usually diffused the challenge. If I remember correctly the last one I bought was about 1974 and cost 25p, and was purchased directly from the Area Engineer at Reservoir House on the Icknield Port Loop captain.gif

It is nice to know a system was in force, and Pete has reminded me that I have also noted checks being made on cyclists in the past, but then the towpaths had less public access. That improved access came with a change in BW Policy. I gather CRT intend to introduce new signage where priority is given to walkers, that when done will be an important step forward, however a bigger step would be enforcement. Whilst some canals had railway links, transport police could and did patrol the waterways with those links. It would be nice to see a regular police presence on the towpath, however such a presence comes at a cost, a cost which CRT probably could not afford

It is nice to know a system was in force, and Pete has reminded me that I have also noted checks being made on cyclists in the past, but then the towpaths had less public access. That improved access came with a change in BW Policy. I gather CRT intend to introduce new signage where priority is given to walkers, that when done will be an important step forward, however a bigger step would be enforcement. Whilst some canals had railway links, transport police could and did patrol the waterways with those links. It would be nice to see a regular police presence on the towpath, however such a presence comes at a cost, a cost which CRT probably could not afford

You've worried me there, could you tell me where policy is concerned that priority is not given to walkers over cyclists?

I doubt there ever was priority for cyclists over walkers, but like the laws relating to cycling along bridleways (it's not officially allowed on footpaths) cyclists must give way to walkers and equestrians. To have this as signage in places where cycling seems to be predominant, might jog a few consciences.

When I was carrying out my survey of former G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. narrow boats (1989 - 2000) I cycled towpaths extensively, and at that time I had cycle permits for mine and my sons bikes. I was never asked a single time to produce them.

When I first came to the canals in Birmingham a towpath permit was then a requirement if not accompanying a boat. I was frequently challenged by B.W.B. staff and the production of the towpath permit usually diffused the challenge. If I remember correctly the last one I bought was about 1974 and cost 25p, and was purchased directly from the Area Engineer at Reservoir House on the Icknield Port Loop captain.gif

I recall those in the 1960's, except the cycling permit was 2/6d if i remember correctly, and you were also issued with a key to gain acess to the towpath which was locked off to the public by full height doors on every bridge.

BTP, and its predecessor, the BTC Police did have, and perhaps still do have, jurisdiction over BTC or BWB canals.

The problem was that, unlike the railways, BWB would not pay their slice of the dues and thus were not policed.

George ex nb Alton retired

I was walking along the towpath opposite the NEC yesterday and noticed the volume of cyclists using both paths, often at speed and often with the attitude "must stay on cycle" with complete disregard to those walking by. These sort of people fail to realise if they loose their balance they, a walker or a boater may end up in the cut. One particular rogue cyclist managed to cycle between me, a group of other walkers and the mooring lines for the boat with the gaily painted cabin advertising steerage from Jedburgh. A inch either way would have given an early bath to one of the walkers nearer the towpath edge or led to the handle bars scratching the paintwork. This volume of cyclists must be a matter of concern as it is a popular walking route, not only for boaters and the general public, but also for delegates visiting conferences at the ICC and those who attend the events at the NIA. CRT have a responsibility to ensure their safety and sadly do not appear able at present to deliver it.

Ray Shill

There is much talk on the Road Safety GB website http://www.roadsafetygb.org.uk/news/4519.htmlabout cyclists and how they need to be given a "dynamic envelope" of space when being overtaken by other traffic. The government continues to encourage more people to cycle, and it gives them segregated lanes on highways meant for all vehicles. So why do so many cyclists treat pedestrians with such disregard and contempt - where is the pedestrians dynamic envelope? What chance does a dog have if off the lead and emerging from some bush? It should be seen as a privilege to ride the towpath - not a right.

The drawback of all this, is not that drivers are becoming more aware of cyclists for the increased safety of all, it is setting one group of individuals against another - wherever it may be.