Cycling on Towpaths

Heartland

Featured Posts

What about deaf people on the towpath? Canal towpaths are ideal for those with a disability, and one blind person I worked with said he felt safer on a towpath than on a roadside pavement, though that was before cyclists used the towpath in any number. Just ringing your bell is not enough.

True. I struggle to hear bike bells, and am certain I will get mowed down sometime. Nowt against cyclists/towpath cyclists, I have cycled on towpaths many times.

The issue at the heart of this thread is not cycling on towpath, but those who abuse it.

I walked along the towpath at Stoke Locks on Wednesday and the cyclists which I encountered that day were most courteous

CRT by the way have notices up at every tight spot asking cyclists to take care, slow down dismount etc. Pity the CRT management in Birmingham lack such concerns.

The issue at the heart of this thread is not cycling on towpath, but those who abuse it.

I walked along the towpath at Stoke Locks on Wednesday and the cyclists which I encountered that day were most courteous

CRT by the way have notices up at every tight spot asking cyclists to take care, slow down dismount etc. Pity the CRT management in Birmingham lack such concerns.

i think most are, certainly we have been to many places this summer by boat and most cyclists have been fine. Trouble is it is human nature to remember the bad ones.

Upgading the towpath around Bath Sydney Gardens to Bathampton, that'll make it faster! I wonder if they will introduce speed calming measures? and promote walker have priority?

http://www.bathnes.gov.uk/latestnews/consultation-towpath-upgrade

Being Bath that is more than possible. There are already cyclist speed warning cameras on Widcombe Hill, because some cyclists were exceeding the 30 MPH limit.

• 3 weeks later...

CRT, I am advised, are keen to participate in the Cycling Revolution project which a key reason for the improvements around Birmingham. Along with this project come a code of conduct for cyclist to adhere to. Unfortunately some do not think such codes are for them to adhere to. It is also a concern that how safe cycling is made the passing of pedestrians and cyclist on the move requires space and the best way to do that is have a separate cycling lane. Such a chance would probably be remote through cost. However in Birmingham to make cyclists progress easier CRT have locked open the motorcycle barriers. So mooring along the towpaths by the ICC has become a tad more dangerous. I do wonder if CRT consult boaters groups when they make such decisions!

Ray Shill

• 3 months later...

Being Bath that is more than possible. There are already cyclist speed warning cameras on Widcombe Hill, because some cyclists were exceeding the 30 MPH limit.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

There is no such thing as a speed limit for cyclists (outside of certain royal parks). The 30mph does not apply to cyclists, runners, pedestrians, horse-riders. It applies to motor vehicles. Cyclists cannot break the speed limit on public roads.

The signs to which you refer are there to warn of a sharp bend.

If you are a driver I very much hope your knowledge of the Highway rules is not as poor as the foregoing indicates.