TIME TO PUT ROPES ACROSS THE TOWPATH, SLOW THESE CYCLISTS DOWN FOR GOOD

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

This was done a while ago resulting in a someone on way back from pub on bike being taken off their bike at neck level. Not nice at all.

There are a lot of idiots on bikes but my view is that people using the towpaths need to stop jumping out of their way as if they have some superior rights. Allow them to slow down until there is a clear passing space :)

The majority of towpath users are pleasant. If they could assert their rights to safety as a group they would soon get on top of the problem. Attitude changes are needed. I know there is danger in confronting idiot cyclists but i believe very few will actually run into people.

• Greenie 2

PS we had a similar thread very recently with a wide variety of views some suggesting that cyclists do not pose a threat to safety on towpaths :huh:

This forum gets more hilarious as each day passes...

:clapping:

What?

Is it because the Standard takes longer to deliver north of Watford Gap by delivery bike :lol:

PS we had a similar thread very recently with a wide variety of views some suggesting that cyclists do not pose a threat to safety on towpaths :huh:

:clapping:

What?

Well no matter how many times somebody points out how dangerous it is to snare some speeding biker and possibly cause them some serious injury we still get somebody suggesting the same thing ...and so it repeats....

Christ on a bike (pun intended) somebody has given the OP a greenie.....

It just gets better and better.....

Edited by MJG

Well no matter how many times somebody points out how dangerous it is to snare some speeding biker and possibly cause them some serious injury we still get somebody suggesting the same thing ...and so it repeats....

Perhaps the OP had mistakenly assumed that folk would be intelligent enough to realise that his comments weren't meant to be taken literally?

• Greenie 1

Perhaps the OP had mistakenly assumed that folk would be intelligent enough to realise that his comments weren't meant to be taken literally?

You are so funny Southern....

I suggest you read some of his previous rants before trying to call me on my post.

The problem is years ago on the Huddersfield narrow I was nearly killed by a passing cyclist whilst coming out of the cratch, to make it worse he soaked me in muddy water as the was towpath full of puddles. So the question is when does a boater have to be killed/seriously injured before people on here will realize that some cyclists are idiots in lycra and for CRT to legislate for the safety of other towpath users ie boaters

Peter

With the risk of going over a lot of old ground, part of the problem is the improvements that are made to towpaths, even up to the point of tarmacing them so they become very easy to ride fast on. Although a cyclist as well as a boater I'm not offering any defence of these speeding cyclists but it does all remind me of many years ago when I worked in Dawlish. Devon. The locals were regularly complaining of parked cars obstructing the view on a local road (John Nash Drive) on which schools were located, the oft quoted remark was that it was 'an accident waiting to happen'. The local council listened to these complaints and installed double yellow lines along it's length near to the schools. The resultant complaint was that the cars were now speeding along the road (now they had uninterrupted vision) which also became 'an accident waiting to happen. The follow on was that they then had to install 'sleeping policemen' to slow the traffic down again. I think it's known as the law of unintended consequencesrolleyes.gif. If the towpaths were left to look like towpaths rather than cycle lanes this problem probably wouldn't arise.

• Greenie 1

When we used to have to tie up in places where you couldn't drive a pin in and no mooring rings existed we used low ropes across the towpath, people just stepped over them. Often too a gangplank may extend some way onto the towpath. All these are no problem to walkers but to a 30mph lycra clad biker it may cause hesitation, but so what, boats use canals, the towpath was built to help the boats move, the boater therefore has grandfather rights!

The BCN turnover towpath bridges have low railings, yesterday I was waiting for the screech and splosh of one of those speeders.

You are so funny Southern....

I suggest you read some of his previous rants before trying to call me on my post.

Oh yes they should MJG as some are slowly coming true!

The problem is years ago on the Huddersfield narrow I was nearly killed by a passing cyclist whilst coming out of the cratch, to make it worse he soaked me in muddy water as the was towpath full of puddles. So the question is when does a boater have to be killed/seriously injured before people on here will realize that some cyclists are idiots in lycra and for CRT to legislate for the safety of other towpath users ie boaters

Peter

Legislating against it is one thing, and if enforceable I would fully support it. Suggesting boaters deck them by tying a rope so that it risks injuring them is not only stupid it merely reduces the boater doing it to the same gutter level.

.Oh yes they should MJG as some are slowly coming true!

Yes I can see CRT supporting your ridiculous and dangerous suggestion.....

Sadly this is a kitten that was killed, it could easily have been a youngster or any other towpath user human or animal.

More likely to be another cyclist being met head on around a corner or bridge.

One ended up in the cut trying to avoid a branch whilst using their mobile phone. We helped him get his bike out.

Yes there is a problem many of us experience it most days on the cut, but tying ropes across the towpath isn't the answer it just makes us look as daft as them. Having said that, the daftest looking pillock in all of this is the man who thinks education is the answer.

Wake up at the top, your education programme isn't going to work and on your salary you should know that.

Legislating against it is one thing, and if enforceable I would fully support it. Suggesting boaters deck them by tying a rope so that it risks injuring them is not only stupid it merely reduces the boater doing it to the same gutter level.

Yes I can see CRT supporting your ridiculous and dangerous suggestion.....

In Rotherham they stopped the section of towpath near us being used by cyclists removed signs even put up no cycling signs put a gate across the towpath with a very difficult passage in it to get past. Did it work no the no cycling signs went in days and the gate completely disappeared overnight. So once again the path is getting ripped to pieces by bikes which is the problem for me other than dodging idiots in lycra which Taff chases for 30 yards or so clapping.gif I keep telling him he cant ride a bike but it doesnt stop him trying to acquire one

Peter

OK, here goes, I'll put my hard hat on before commenting in favour of cyclists. I am just back from a trip up North. I did notice that those parts of The Rochdale and The Ashton that had cycle paths felt much safer. Fewer undesirables hanging around and a good flow of friendly cyclists coming past ringing their bells at the bridge holes. May be everyone is just more friendly and considerate in t' North.

Edited by NickF

There are a few idiots who mar it for the many.

Im always surprised given state of some towpaths that cyclists chose to risk injury by progressing at speed along them.

There will always be speed merchants be it cars, cycles, motorbikes, boats etc and there will always be those who do not consider safety aspect of chosen sport.

Cycling seen as way of getting fit and as such more effort put in greater the results.

I used to attend a gym..seeing the effort and pain that getting as fit(??) as possible takes, I quit..altogether to exhausting a prospect.

Same with cycling I go slow and enjoy countryside. I believe its addictive this pushing oneself in the name of fitness..so..

they aint gonna slow down...its a mind set..they are not there to enjoy countryside.

Obviously my opinion based on my observations.

I don't even think they consider other peoples right to walk along "their race track"

The problem is years ago on the Huddersfield narrow I was nearly killed by a passing cyclist whilst coming out of the cratch, to make it worse he soaked me in muddy water as the was towpath full of puddles.

This is the first time I think I have seen anybody suggest that getting soaked in muddy water is worse than nearly getting killed!

Nearly killed, though? Honestly? You have to work quite hard to kill a fit person on a towpath with a push bike, surely?

Badly injured - yes easily. - I couldn't deny it. Nearly killed, though, sounds an overstatement. Not many people are killed by bikes on towpaths, are they? Not even that many fluffy kittens, despite an increasing number of headlines suggesting it.

Yes there are idiot towpath cyclists, but exaggerated stories about them tend to weaken any valid argument, in my view.

• Greenie 2

We often hold the boat on the centre rope across the towpath when locking in places like the Stoke flight after the missus got hit by a speeding bike when locking.....sadly haven't collected another one yet although it's been close when they have been on the phone texting......

Funnily enough the cyclists don't say a word but that might be due to a big hairy bloke or a small but rather feisty lady being on the end of the rope.

I'm not against cycling on the towpath but they need to realise it's not been built for just them.

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by frangar
  • Greenie 1

I'm not against cycling on the towpath but they need to realise it's not been built for just them.

There's probably truth in that. It's funny how some defend their mode of transport depending which one they are using at the time. It's just about respect again really.

How many car drivers navigating a supermarket car park get frustrated with shoppers bearing down on them with shopping trolleys? Once they get out if their car, do the shopping then try to push their trolley back to their car, how many get frustrated with cars getting in their way?

• Greenie 1

Peter

CRT can't legislate for that or for anything else because they are not Parliament. Of course they should be encouraging responsible use of the towpath (which is what the "share the space" campaign is about), but they can't make it illegal to cycle above 10mph (or whatever). And even if Parliament *did* legislate for something like that, it would still be the police's job, not CRT's, to identify and deal with dangerous cyclists.

Fair enough if people have constructive suggestions on what can be done by boaters, the CRT, the police, cycling groups, etc., to address the problem, but calls for vigilante action or complaints that CRT have not seized control of the legislature don't really qualify.