Eco Fan

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

15 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Pedantry alert:

It's a Stirling engine (after Mr Stirling) not a Sterling engine (like the money)

Reminds me of when the company I was working for were putting Stirling engines into Waitrose shops as part a carbon reduction initiative.

The engines were supplied by a (now failed) Danish company, Stirling Denmark (SDK).

My colleague kept misspelling it as Sterling, and was taken to task by the Danish project manager.

He wrote a letter apologising to her, and in an effort to make a good impression used Google translator to convert it into Danish.

At the next meeting the Danish SDK project manager asked him to explain his letter.

"Well" he said, "I was apologising and said in future I will try harder".

"Oh", she said, "what you actually wrote in Danish was that in future you will try to be more difficult". :)

Edited by cuthound
Grandma

4 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Reminds me of when the company I was working for were putting in Stirling engines into Waitrose shops as part a carbon reduction initiative.

The engines were supplied by a (now failed) Danish company, Stirling Denmark (SDK).

My colleague kept misspelling it as Sterling, and was taken to task by the Danish project manager.

He wrote a letter apologising to her, and in an effort to make a good impression used Google translator to convert it into Danish.

At the next meeting the Danish SDK project manager asked him to explain his letter.

"Well" he said, "I was apologising and said in future I will try harder".

"Oh", she said, "what you actually wrote in Danish was that in future you will try to be more difficult. :)

Its tales like this that make me remain so pleased about being self employed, no silly little Hitler pratt to take me to task over trivia. I would have had to have explained life to him and been out of work anyway :lol:

1 hour ago, mross said:

You need faith to believe in Ecofan.

Please don't be tempted to bring faith into the argument anyone,  or you'll upset the radical Ecofan fans. They'll come and blow up your boat, but only a tiny amount.  You'll might not even notice it, which is just as well because you won't find any solid evidence to prove it. :ninja:

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Please don't be tempted to bring faith into the argument anyone,  or you'll upset the radical Ecofan fans. They'll come and blow up your boat, but only a tiny amount.  You'll might not even notice it, which is just as well because you won't find any solid evidence to prove it. :ninja:

I'll sneak up in stealth mode, ultra quiet, put stove on back deck, with small mast and sail, square rigged, point fan at sail. You won't know I've been till your socks go damp.

Not measurably.  If you could separate the heat sink and put it somewhere cold, that would make a big difference.  That means the fins that are behind the fan and unfortunately draw warm air over the fins.  If you could run a duct from the fan to the part of the boat that needs warmth it might help.  But you might find nothing came out the far end!  The engineer in me says don't bother!

Edited by mross

1 minute ago, mross said:

Not measurably.  If you could separate the heat sink and put it somewhere cold, that would make a big difference.  That means the fins that are behind the fan and unfortunately draw warm air over the fins.  If you could run a duct from the fan to the part of the boat that needs warmth it might help.  But you might find nothing came out the far end!  The engineer on me says don't bother!

That could be handy if you need an engineer I suppose :)

25 minutes ago, mross said:

Not measurably.  If you could separate the heat sink and put it somewhere cold, that would make a big difference.  That means the fins that are behind the fan and unfortunately draw warm air over the fins.  If you could run a duct from the fan to the part of the boat that needs warmth it might help.  But you might find nothing came out the far end!  The engineer in me says don't bother!

Not necessary, the heat differential is enough to get plenty of revs. The blade is a blur. I tried a 1" X 6" bit of kitchen towel in front of the blade. Up close the strip rose to about 35/40 Deg. It dropped slowly and was still affected over 24" away. Of course some will claim the air currents just stop dead at that point, but an even temperature around the room shows this is not so. It keeps moving slowly.

12 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Bloomin Nora not only do you have ecofans you have the only Dickinson in the world that gets hot you are a blessed chap.

Nah, this one gets hot too, thats why he's  brown :

google.co.uk.jpg

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

I think you need to find out where the propellor on the right hand fan has gone. Hopefully there aren't any boats moored direct line of your stove . 

Its going so fast you cant see it

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Bloomin Nora not only do you have ecofans you have the only Dickinson in the world that gets hot you are a blessed chap.

Only if I can stop the missus turning the bloody thing down 

3 hours ago, mark99 said:

What's your view on them Brian?

Well I bought a second one, I think that indicates my feelings. The definitely move heat but they would never blow it down the length of the boat. As they cost nowt to run they are fine. I have 3 computer fans connected in series at ceiling level between the galley and lounge area and they don't  do any better than the stove fans.

4 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well I bought a second one, I think that indicates my feelings. The definitely move heat but they would never blow it down the length of the boat. As they cost nowt to run they are fine. I have 3 computer fans connected in series at ceiling level between the galley and lounge area and they don't  do any better than the stove fans.

My feelings to - my stirling mixes or evens out the heat. But I do have a smallish saloon. They "can't not" help in small space. It's just the question of magnitude.

Edited by mark99

46 minutes ago, mark99 said:

My feelings to - my stirling mixes or evens out the heat. But I do have a smallish saloon. They "can't not" help in small space. It's just the question of magnitude.

What I would like to try is a larger powered fan with a good sized blade area turning a a slow speed,, a smaller version of the ceiling mounted fans so I could move a good mass of air quite slowly. so that lets out all the commercially available table fans, cooling fans, etc