Eco Fan

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, mross said:

A typical ceiling fan uses between 50 and 100 Watts.  An Ecofan is 1 to 2 Watts.  This is why Ecofans can't be much use!

The ceiling fan has 2 foot blades, the eco 2 inches, its all a matter of scale

14 minutes ago, mross said:

You need a punka wallah!

I didn't like to say that

19 minutes ago, mross said:

A typical ceiling fan uses between 50 and 100 Watts.  An Ecofan is 1 to 2 Watts.  This is why Ecofans can't be much use!

...but mine is breaking up the stratification and I have nice warm feet. Not sure how I would have managed the last few days without it. It is going round a bit faster this week.

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

...but mine is breaking up the stratification and I have nice warm feet. Not sure how I would have managed the last few days without it. It is going round a bit faster this week.

Strap it  to the front of your boat when the canal freezes over, you can use it to break the ice too:)

6 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Strap it  to the front of your boat when the canal freezes over, you can use it to break the ice too:)

I may well try that in the morning as there was a bit of ice this morning and the forecast is for worse tomorrow.

5 minutes ago, mross said:

Is you Ecofraud sitting in front of the chimney or beside it?  Or is your stove rear exit?

Our stove is a villager so there is not a lot of space on the top. Our Ecofraud (I like that) is sort of on a front corner but facing forward so it not drawing air over the flue (well sort of from the side). The destructions I got with the fan said put it at the back but because the blades are so big they would hit the flue there.

30 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

All boats differ on build quality, location of draughts from low level and high level ventilation. Quality and coverage of insulation. Size of glass areas. Carpeted floors and bulkheads to mention just some of the variables. In all cases warm air rises cos that's what science dictates. I am sat here warm as toast on my boat and yes the air if I could be arsed to check will be at a  greater temperature at deckhead level than at deck level It stands to reason its the same in a house. A fan with the given rating of such an ornamental fan as an Eco fan cannot possibly make the air temeprature stop layering, the power rating of it makes it an impossilbility. This is why a jumbo jet isn't equipped with a rubber band engine that used to power our toy planes as kids.

• Greenie 1

33 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

All boats differ on build quality, location of draughts from low level and high level ventilation. Quality and coverage of insulation. Size of glass areas. Carpeted floors and bulkheads to mention just some of the variables. In all cases warm air rises cos that's what science dictates. I am sat here warm as toast on my boat and yes the air if I could be arsed to check will be at a  greater temperature at deckhead level than at deck level It stands to reason its the same in a house. A fan with the given rating of such an ornamental fan as an Eco fan cannot possibly make the air temeprature stop layering, the power rating of it makes it an impossilbility. This is why a jumbo jet isn't equipped with a rubber band engine that used to power our toy planes as kids.

Does that mean you are wavering. ........

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Well I am sat by the front door, that is as far as I can get from that wonderful diesel heat source we have with 2 fans on it and the temperature at gunwale level is 23 deg, unfortunately at foot level its a bit cooler and if I stand up at head height its a bit hotter. All joking apart I do think it makes a small difference to comfort level, but I would love to improve air movement. If I was in a marina I could have a fan heater to move it round. 

I am sitting here with the stove set as usual and two ecofans one an Aldi special that has ceased to function after 2 years (1.5v coming out of pad but no turnee) and also a 10year old fan that needs I think a new motor. Sitting in my chair I am not warm, unlike when I have a fan, if I stand up my head enters a layer of very warm air which usually isn't there when I have a working fan. So don't tell me they don't work in distributing the warmth.

• Happy 1

1 minute ago, Loddon said:

I am sitting here with the stove set as usual and two ecofans one an Aldi special that has ceased to function after 2 years (1.5v coming out of pad but no turnee) and also a 10year old fan that needs I think a new motor. Sitting in my chair I am not warm, unlike when I have a fan, if I stand up my head enters a layer of very warm air which usually isn't there when I have a working fan. So don't tell me they don't work in distributing the warmth.

Option 1) Lower the roof. 

Option 2) Fit the chair to the ceiling. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Loddon said:

They don't work in distributing the warmth :)

• Greenie 1