Eco Fan

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

If I knew how to I'd set an opinion poll up to quantify the placebo effect :)

You'd need a double-blind trial using a fan that really did work (such as the 2ft, 100W electric one mentioned earlier), which means the subject would have to be wearing a blindfold and earplugs, otherwise he would be able to hear that the Ecofraud was doing nothing! 

Also you would need to question all the test subjects first: "Are you a true believer or a heathen skeptic?"  

Edited by Machpoint005
see addition
  • Greenie 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, mross said:

No, its to do with the available power; you can add blades to an ecofan and it won't improve performance.  Nor will bigger blades.

I am fully aware of that, what I would like is something bigger than an eco but a lot smaller than a ceiling fan that also uses less power.

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

You'd need a double-blind trial using a fan that really did work (such as the 2ft, 100W electric one mentioned earlier), which means the subject would have to be wearing a blindfold and earplugs, otherwise he would be able to hear that the Ecofraud was doing nothing! 

Also you would need to question all the test subjects first: "Are you a true believer or a heathen skeptic?"  

I tried really hard today to do a triple blind trial today including me (a muppet), SWMBO ( who doesn't like the Muppets) and a random cat kidnapped from the towpath. Unfortunately it didn't work as it was too cold so we had to have my Ecofraud on all the time, therefore invalidating the results. I will try and repeat this in April. Also the cat ran off.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

A cat?

No they like the heat too much so you will need to buy an EcoFraud as well.

I reckon our cats are more effective than an ecofan. 

They sit by fire til boiling hot, then go down the other end of the boat and shit on the floor, thus distributing the heat

IMG_20171201_091740488.jpg

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

They sit by fire til boiling hot, then go down the other end of the boat and shit on the floor, thus distributing the heat

Many years ago we were sitting in the lounge at home with the gas fire on, watching telly. SWMBO says to me “Can you smell burning?”  After we had wandered around trying to find the cause the cat rose from its cushion in front of the fire and turned around. Its fur was singed all down the one side!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

Many years ago we were sitting in the lounge at home with the gas fire on, watching telly. SWMBO says to me “Can you smell burning?”  After we had wandered around trying to find the cause the cat rose from its cushion in front of the fire and turned around. Its fur was singed all down the one side!

One of ours can often be seen licking the glass of the hot morso. Stupid animals

• Happy 1

55 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

IMG_20171201_091740488.jpg

Bloody hell that's a big Eco fan sat at the side of the stove!! don't suppose you dare but it on top or the heat generated would be devastating?

17 hours ago, mross said:

No, its to do with the available power; you can add blades to an ecofan and it won't improve performance.  Nor will bigger blades.

I am fully aware of that, what I would like is something bigger than an eco but a lot smaller than a ceiling fan that also uses less power. I think its a balance between moving air and causing a draught

Thinking about it a bit more I suspect a Spaniel dog constantly being fed tip bits so that it wagged its tail would be just as effective, but I don't have a dog.  I would love to see a real test, like a sealed room with lots of temperature probes and a known heat source run with and without a fan with an observation window and infrared camera, but I don't expect that will ever happen. Just walking about in a boat causes the air to move around.

• Greenie 1