Marina For Sale, Yours For £11m

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Stuart Davies said:

£11m seems a bit of a bargain with 315 boat berths that at £200 a month is £720,000 a year gross. 

And all the holiday chalets and 28 room motel. Could offer a very sizable return very quickly.

1 hour ago, Stuart Davies said:

£11m seems a bit of a bargain with 315 boat berths that at £200 a month is £720,000 a year gross. 

£200 a month, down south??? We pay that up here, surely they charge way more?

2 hours ago, Stuart Davies said:

If that was the figures that would be a pretty poor return on £11m capital.  Your £720K as you say would be gross revenue not profit.  All operational expenses, wages  and tax would come off that. The percentage return would likely be fairly small. I suspect though that the revenue in London could well be higher than you predict.

Working on a 20% operating profit it would make the return under 1.5% return per year in capital invested and take 70 plus years to see the capital returned.

9 hours ago, churchward said:

If that was the figures that would be a pretty poor return on £11m capital.  Your £720K as you say would be gross revenue not profit.  All operational expenses, wages  and tax would come off that. The percentage return would likely be fairly small. I suspect though that the revenue in London could well be higher than you predict.

Working on a 20% operating profit it would make the return under 1.5% return per year in capital invested and take 70 plus years to see the capital returned.

I wasn't putting forward a business plan, simply pointing out the gross income pa on part of the income stream was 6% of the capital investment which is not a bad starting place. As has been pointed out £200 is a vast under-estimate of the earnings potential that near london. 

Plus there's the wooden huts and the possibility of a boatyard.

If you have £11m to invest, I'd be happy to put together a more detailed feasibility study and business plan. Shall we say an initial consultancy fee of 5%?

29 minutes ago, Stuart Davies said:

the gross income pa on part of the income stream was 6% of the capital investment which is not a bad starting place.

no it's not.  ........................  and sales turnover does not equate to gross income.   

Gross income is the amount by which sales revenue exceeds production costs (cost of sales).  In this case it could be zero.

would I employ you as a consultant at 5%? - no way.  

would I employ you as a consultant FOC?  - no way.

try Dragons' Den, you might get lucky  -  NOT !!    :banghead:

Edited by Murflynn
  • Greenie 1

58 minutes ago, Stuart Davies said:

I wasn't putting forward a business plan, simply pointing out the gross income pa on part of the income stream was 6% of the capital investment which is not a bad starting place. As has been pointed out £200 is a vast under-estimate of the earnings potential that near london. 

Plus there's the wooden huts and the possibility of a boatyard.

If you have £11m to invest, I'd be happy to put together a more detailed feasibility study and business plan. Shall we say an initial consultancy fee of 5%?

and all I was pointing out was that gross revenue is no indication of any kind of return.  Revenue at 6% of capital investment is low especially when you have no idea what the costs would be of running the business as I demonstrated.  I would not engage you as a business consultant as you show a poor grasp of how finance and return on investment works.

One old saying in business is that "Revenue is fantasy (or flattery) and profit reality"

Edited by churchward

6 minutes ago, churchward said:

One old saying in business is that "Revenue is fantasy (or flattery) and profit reality"

As a mate of mine is fond of saying "Anyone can be a busy idiot". 

• Greenie 1

• 1 year later...

Now owned by Lakeland Leisure .......was notified a few days ago as I moor at Tattenhall in Cheshire

So the marinas in Tattenhall, Saul Junction and Great Haywood are joined by Roydon.

Was told I can transfer and use a mooring at any of the others, including Roydon, whenever I like.

On 02/03/2017 at 08:47, Murflynn said:

no it's not.  ........................  and sales turnover does not equate to gross income.   

Yes it does!

I think you are confusing it with gross profit, which is gross sales (ex vat) less cost of sales.

• Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, Thorfast said:

Now owned by Lakeland Leisure .......was notified a few days ago as I moor at Tattenhall in Cheshire

So the marinas in Tattenhall, Saul Junction and Great Haywood are joined by Roydon.

Was told I can transfer and use a mooring at any of the others, including Roydon, whenever I like.

They had some new flyers in Great Haywood at the weekend advertising the new marina. We've taken advantage in the past of having a temporary mooring in Tattenhall and moored in Saul Junction. May look at Roydon in the future.

1 hour ago, gbclive said:

The google earth view is interesting.

At the time the image was taken, the pontoons seem very well populated but take up only half of the area.

Also a lock to access the river.

This was one of the scare stories about the original marina plans, everyone thought that a 350 berth marina would cause the river/canal at that point to be emptied on a regular basis. 

The fact is that 90 plus percent of those boats never move anywhere. 

10 years ago you couldn't have got away with it, new 'boaters' lifestyles says you can.

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Build a big enough marina and boaters can go for a cruise around it without ever leaving.

Higgs heaven!!

Surely not alone. He'll need a Boson! 

Edited by rusty69
Bosun

• 2 months later...

A big pity that the picture on the top of the Roydon Marina web page is actually A Jetty at Tattenhall. You'd think that someone from Lakeland would actually have enough interest in their new purchase to go down there and take a photo, wouldn't you?

• Haha 1