might be a silly question,

Dexter's Shed

Featured Posts

someone posted up an old tv doc video, and....

as a non NB owner, thoroughly enjoyed watching that, now don't laugh as It made me think of a question to ask, after seeing the bit on the sea otter..... what would be the difference or complexity of having your steel NB re-covered in ali ? I suppose the initial outlay would be high, but if you own a boat for a long time, how would that compare to having to blacken it every x amount of years or even replating

I suspect you would end up with a load of perforated alloy plates caused by the galvanic action between the steel and alloy.

Anyone remember when the chrome trims were help onto cars by clips fixed with ally pop rivets?

not quick enough, Ray beat me to an answer.

Edited by Tony Brooks

If money was no object you could build it out of stainless

I'm not sure I'd want to see that go by on a sunny day. But it raises an interesting question, could a stainless steel boat be economic? After all, it should last a lot longer and not require blacking or painting? It's probably been considered before and rejected for a reason other than a requirement for everyone around to wear sunglasses. For example I don't think anyone makes engines and prop shafts out of stainless steel, so would there be corrosion where they meet?

A quick Google tells me that wholesale stainless steel prices are about two to three thousand US$ per ton depending on what form it comes in, but I don't have a clue what "hot rolled coil" is. Maybe the price per ton gets a lot higher by the time it's delivered to a boatyard in nice plates ready to weld together. I wouldn't know, I'm from London, we don't do that heavy industrial stuff down here. Does anyone who does know care to translate all that into the cost of a boat shell? Note: I am not a serious potential buyer!

I don't know about covering your boat with a layer of aluminium, but you can add a layer of zinc through the process of 'metal spraying':

http://www.debdalewharf.co.uk/zinc-metal-spraying/

I suppose the basic idea is the same: prevent corrosion of the steel by putting a layer of another metal between it and the water. There's a painted-on product called Zinga that I think is a variation on this idea too.

I don't know about covering your boat with a layer of aluminium, but you can add a layer of zinc through the process of 'metal spraying':

http://www.debdalewharf.co.uk/zinc-metal-spraying/

I suppose the basic idea is the same: prevent corrosion of the steel by putting a layer of another metal between it and the water. There's a painted-on product called Zinga that I think is a variation on this idea too.

Zinc protects steel (and many other metals) because it is less noble on the galvanic scale, and thus sacrifices itself to protect the steel. It is a protective form of galvanic corrosion, in the same way that aluminium anodes sacrifice themselves to protect the steel hull.

Wouldn't the necessary thickness of stainless steel be significantly thinner if a properly engineered 'monocoque' type hull was built? I assumed that part of the reason for the thickness of the steel was because of erosion. There's no incentive to engineer a boat in thinner mild steel because it'll rot. If a stainless boat could be strengthened at the points where it would be likely to take impacts, through folds and box sections etc., the shell could be thinner. After all, cars are built from steel not much thicker than bean cans but are able to withstand high speed impacts; albeit with severe deformation. I can't imagine that a one-off design would be cost effective; this is just a theory.

Wouldn't the necessary thickness of stainless steel be significantly thinner if a properly engineered 'monocoque' type hull was built? I assumed that part of the reason for the thickness of the steel was because of erosion. There's no incentive to engineer a boat in thinner mild steel because it'll rot. If a stainless boat could be strengthened at the points where it would be likely to take impacts, through folds and box sections etc., the shell could be thinner. After all, cars are built from steel not much thicker than bean cans but are able to withstand high speed impacts; albeit with severe deformation. I can't imagine that a one-off design would be cost effective; this is just a theory.

Good point, but the edges of a hull get physically worn away with use. Not sure SS will be any more resistant to mechanical abrasion against banks, the bottom etc than mild steel.

I was shocked at how badly the rivet heads had been worn away on my boat in three years between dockings.

Why not make a boat out of mild steel which is cheap, easy to work with, and slightly flexible to cope with bumps and bangs? It could be protected by a very thin layer of a non metallic substance that also comes in various colours to give the boat a pleasing appearance.

............Dave

Why not make a boat out of mild steel which is cheap, easy to work with, and slightly flexible to cope with bumps and bangs? It could be protected by a very thin layer of a non metallic substance that also comes in various colours to give the boat a pleasing appearance.

............Dave

Can't see that catching on!

............Dave

Ridiculous suggestion, otherwise it would have been done already...

ninja.gif

............Dave

Patent it, quick!