Bridgewater Gestapo Tactics

Glynn

Featured Posts

Regarding Pearly's ticket issued "in error", I have had the same with parking tickets. What would be the position if one put a notice on car or boat stating that an admin fee of £X would be charged to clear up such mistakes, and that the enforcement chap should check before issuing a ticket.

Auto text edit.

Edited by Jim Riley

With respect, I think you may be missing the point in your second paragraph.

The company has no powers to break up or sell a boat unless it has been on the canal without consent for over a month, the owner has been given seven days notice of the offence and failed to pay prescribed charges within a further seven days.

In those particular circumstances (and certainly after nearly six-weeks) an owner might be well-advised to check if any statutory notice has been issued.

I think the point I was trying to make, not very clearly, was that if Peel do not know who the owner is then, as they can't serve a notice on them, all they have to do is to stick a notice in their offices after the requisite periods.

If I strayed over the boundary by mistake - eg as a C&RT licence holder I left my boat on the wrong side of the boundary in Leigh - then I would be quite pleased if Peel were able to contact me via C&RT to warn me etc. This does of course assume that they make all reasonable efforts to contact owners in advance of enforcement action - that would be a sensible approach for them to take, for both PR and general hassle/cost reasons.

[As an aside, I have a small notice with my contact details in the window of my boat. On the basis of a small - and non-photographic - survey, I think I am in a very small minority!].

[As an aside, I have a small notice with my contact details in the window of my boat. On the basis of a small - and non-photographic - survey, I think I am in a very small minority!].

Mobile phone number?

Seems innocuous, but it would be very useful to a troublemaker.

A quick Google reveals an enormous amount of detail (names/dates/times/photos) about you, your crew and your boat. Add a mobile number, or email, or home address and you could be a juicy scam target.

The only reason you won't be is that posting contact details in boat windows is a minority activity. The scammers don't have a large enough pool of data to make it worth their while harvesting it. But if we all start doing it, it wouldn't take long for scammers to catch on.

If I saw a boat in immediate trouble or causing a serious problem, I would call CRT's emergency number and rely on CRT to use the name and index number to contact the owner. I really can't see a legitimate reason for me or anyone else to have to know how to contact you directly.

If you visit twice and get clocked on both visits what can Peel actually do about it, they can tell you to leave which you are doing anyway but they cant refuse to renew your licence because you dont have one, I doubt they could impound your boat, so I suppose they could take you to court for the money you owe.

If you visit twice and get clocked on both visits what can Peel actually do about it, they can tell you to leave which you are doing anyway but they cant refuse to renew your licence because you dont have one, I doubt they could impound your boat, so I suppose they could take you to court for the money you owe.

Exactly.

The idea of somehow enforcing in a heavy handed manner, intimidating or restricting visiting boat(er)s is fraught with practical problems, therefore they NEED to have a reasonable reciprocal agreement with CRT (all the accessible adjacent waters are with CRT). Similarly, CRT need to "go to the table" knowing this and leveraging a good deal on bahalf of its (licence paying) boaters if/when it ever gets renewed, discussed or negotiated. It will be interesting to hear both Peel and CRTs views on the latest reports of agression/intimidation from Sonny.

Exactly.

The idea of somehow enforcing in a heavy handed manner, intimidating or restricting visiting boat(er)s is fraught with practical problems, therefore they NEED to have a reasonable reciprocal agreement with CRT (all the accessible adjacent waters are with CRT). Similarly, CRT need to "go to the table" knowing this and leveraging a good deal on bahalf of its (licence paying) boaters if/when it ever gets renewed, discussed or negotiated. It will be interesting to hear both Peel and CRTs views on the latest reports of agression/intimidation from Sonny.

Sonny hasn't met my Mrs yet. I look forward to the day he tries to give us any grief argue.gificecream.gif

My reading of the Act suggests the Manchester Ship Company will (can) take no action until the boat has been on their water for more than a month. The owner then gets 7 days notice to remove their vessel.

Given this is a civil law issue which would cost Peel thousands in legal fees, I suspect the enforcement officer's actions are mostly bluff.

• Greenie 1

We saw he do it.

Why would he need to take a picture one day, then again less than 20 hours later ??

How you you know he actually took photos? Did he show you images of the inside of your boat?

My speculation would be he is not taking photos at all. He puts the camera against the boat window because he knows it winds boaters up and look, he's right!

He seems to be one of those people in life who thrives on conflict and seeks it out at any opportunity.

I think this thread got of f on the wrong foot. What evidence is there that sonny was photographing the interior of a boat? Only the op,s assertion that was what he was doing.has the op seen the photographic evidence

The evidence was that he put his ipad up against the window of the boat. Prima Facie, it could be suggested that there could be very few other reasons why he might do this. I can only think of one other reason, as Mike suggests, which is to wind the boater/s up, and create some conflict, which he seems to thrive on.

Mobile phone number?

Seems innocuous, but it would be very useful to a troublemaker.

A quick Google reveals an enormous amount of detail (names/dates/times/photos) about you, your crew and your boat. Add a mobile number, or email, or home address and you could be a juicy scam target.

Black Sabbath wrote a song about you, I reckon.

Agreed and if I read the extract of the act correctly the Fee is only 25 pence a day anyway ... Is anybody really going to bother for 25p ? Doubt it

Regarding Pearly's ticket issued "in error", I have had the same with parking tickets. What would be the position if one put a notice on car or boat stating that an admin fee of £X would be charged to clear up such mistakes, and that the enforcement chap should check before issuing a ticket.

Auto text edit.

Ive done this in similar circumstances with civil penalty notices and debt recovery agencies where I've stated that I will defend county court summons and / or small claims court actions and charge for my time, in every case the other party has withdrawn or taken no further action. It's simply easier to bully someone else who pays up after a threatening letter that looks official.

Eta I should point out I'm not a serial non payer or anything but where I believed I had a reasonable grievance or defence if you stand up to these people they invariably go elsewhere- it's simply easier

Edited by jonathanA

Ive done this in similar circumstances with civil penalty notices and debt recovery agencies where I've stated that I will defend county court summons and / or small claims court actions and charge for my time, in every case the other party has withdrawn or taken no further action. It's simply easier to bully someone else who pays up after a threatening letter that looks official.

Eta I should point out I'm not a serial non payer or anything but where I believed I had a reasonable grievance or defence if you stand up to these people they invariably go elsewhere- it's simply easier

Peel for sure have the resource and inclination to pursue matters, pop on over to moneysavingexpert forum and go to the parking sub forum as plenty of Peel goons hired in that arena.

Pretty sure that at county court and small claims you cannot actually charge for your time/effort in the manner you have asserted and that effort/time claims are capped/restricted by the courts. I might be wrong however I dont think I am. Not to say a threat of doing so wouldnt scare someone away.