Bridgewater Gestapo Tactics

Glynn

Featured Posts

Oh dear, a calm voice of non-confrontation, just as we were all buying our bags of popcorn and settling back. Mr. Watch, sometimes you have no consideration. We haven't had a decent two-bag barney on CWF for donkey's ages.

Sorry. I wasn't thinking.

I have no issue with enforcement done correctly whether it's CaRT, Peel or others. Nowadays this will include pictures to add context, and show whether permits were displayed.

However I have a big issue with the action that lead to the OPs comment about deliberately taking pictures through the windows, for which contacting the Police about a peeping tom would be a better method of resolution than anything else. Whether the person is taking interior photos on instruction of their management or not is yet to be determined.

• Greenie 1

Not very literate, are they? And not very hard working either, if they can only manage to be in the office for two hours a day.

What illiteracy are you referring to, Mike? I'm pretty pernickerty, but couldn't see anything awful.

As in sharps and flats, Mac.

Yes, I know.

And this is what an enforcement notice looks like

"Under Section 9 of the the Manchester Ship and Canal Company Act 1960 the Bridgewater Canal Company have the authority to remove and sell or scrap a vessel that is on the canal without permission."

But what does Section 9 of the Manchester Ship and Canal Company Act 1960 actually say? ...........

1(a)

If any vessel is left in any river canal waterway navigable channel lock or dock forming part of the Bridgewater undertaking without consent in writing of the Company for a period of one month or upwards the Company may after giving seven day's notice to the owner of the vessel at the time when such notice is given remove the vessel to a convenient place and such owner shall pay to the Company the cost of removal and a sum not exceeding twenty five pence (25p) for each day during which any part of the river, canal, waterway, navigable channel, lock, or dock is occupied by the vessel after the giving of such notice and until such removal and any such cost and sum may be recovered by the Company either summarily as a civil debt where the amount does not exceed twenty pounds or as a debt in any court of competent jurisdiction.

1(b

If any sum payable to the Company under the provisions of the sub-section is not paid within one month after it becomes due the company may break up sell or otherwise dispose of the vessel any expense incurred by them in so doing after deducting the proceeds of sale (if any) shall be repaid to them by such owner and any expenses incurred by the Company as aforesaid which are not defrayed out of the proceeds of sale shall be paid to the Company by such owner and may be recovered as aforesaid.

Any notice given by the Company pursuant to sub-section (1) of this section shall be given by delivering the same to the owner or by posting a prepaid letter addressed to the owner at the place in the United Kingdom where he carried on business or at his last known place of abode in the United kingdom or if the owner or his place of business or abode is not known by the Company or is not in the United Kingdom then by exhibiting such notice at the principal office of the Company for seven days.

The Powers conferred on the Company by this section shall be in addition to and not in derogation of any other powers exercisable by them or with respect to the removal of obstructions in any waterway or work to which this section applies.

Edited by erivers

The last part of section 2 above explains - in my opinion - why it is sensible for C&RT to provide contact information for the owner, if they have it.

I suspect not that many people will regularly go to the company's offices to see if their about is about to be broken up or sold. There doesn't appear to be any requirement to affix a notice to the boat, though I expect the company would do that as well.

But what does Section 9 of the Manchester Ship and Canal Company Act 1960 actually say? ...........

1(a)

If any vessel is left in any river canal waterway navigable channel lock or dock forming part of the Bridgewater undertaking without consent in writing of the Company for a period of one month or upwards the Company may after giving seven day's notice to the owner of the vessel at the time when such notice is given remove the vessel to a convenient place and such owner shall pay to the Company the cost of removal and a sum not exceeding twenty five pence (25p) for each day during which any part of the river, canal, waterway, navigable channel, lock, or dock is occupied by the vessel after the giving of such notice and until such removal and any such cost and sum may be recovered by the Company either summarily as a civil debt where the amount does not exceed twenty pounds or as a debt in any court of competent jurisdiction.

1(b

If any sum payable to the Company under the provisions of the sub-section is not paid within one month after it becomes due the company may break up sell or otherwise dispose of the vessel any expense incurred by them in so doing after deducting the proceeds of sale (if any) shall be repaid to them by such owner and any expenses incurred by the Company as aforesaid which are not defrayed out of the proceeds of sale shall be paid to the Company by such owner and may be recovered as aforesaid.

Any notice given by the Company pursuant to sub-section (1) of this section shall be given by delivering the same to the owner or by posting a prepaid letter addressed to the owner at the place in the United Kingdom where he carried on business or at his last known place of abode in the United kingdom or if the owner or his place of business or abode is not known by the Company or is not in the United Kingdom then by exhibiting such notice at the principal office of the Company for seven days.

The Powers conferred on the Company by this section shall be in addition to and not in derogation of any other powers exercisable by them or with respect to the removal of obstructions in any waterway or work to which this section applies.

Except that we had paid for an extra 7 days and received confirmation from BCC giving us a 7 day permit, si we had the company's permission but still got a ticket.

I wonder if the Bridgewater boaters would be happy if CRT reciprocated in a similar fashion, which I assume they will sooner or later? It's all been pretty laissez-faire up to now.

I am not sure where the idea that Bridgewater boaters are happy with the new enforcement policy cames from. None of the bridgewater boaters that I know think he is doing a good job, I am unable to comment personally though as I have no contact with him to date.

Edited by Trillian

What illiteracy are you referring to, Mike? I'm pretty pernickerty, but couldn't see anything awful.

In their contexts, both "owner" at the beginning and "Canal" near the end should start with capital letters -either that, or "Boat" should have a lower-case one.

The last part of section 2 above explains - in my opinion - why it is sensible for C&RT to provide contact information for the owner, if they have it.

I suspect not that many people will regularly go to the company's offices to see if their about is about to be broken up or sold. There doesn't appear to be any requirement to affix a notice to the boat, though I expect the company would do that as well.

With respect, I think you may be missing the point in your second paragraph.

The company has no powers to break up or sell a boat unless it has been on the canal without consent for over a month, the owner has been given seven days notice of the offence and failed to pay prescribed charges within a further seven days.

In those particular circumstances (and certainly after nearly six-weeks) an owner might be well-advised to check if any statutory notice has been issued.

Edited by erivers