Narrowboat urinal?

andyberg

Featured Posts

I've often wondered why no one fits a urinal to their narrow boat?

With pump out prices rising, weeing down the sink a little bit uncouth and leaking over the side bordering on illegal due to various public order / flashing laws...surely a single pot mounted on the cabin side with a drain directly into the canal via a skin gland next to the conventional loo would be a win win installation?

Can anyone see any problems with this idea? apart from the obvious ' women struggle to balance on one / splash back issues !

As far as I am aware it is 'against the rules' to deposit urine into the canal.

Urine contains significant levels of Nitrogen as well as phosphorous and potassium - typically an N-P-K ratio around 11 – 1 – 2.5 which is similar to commercial fertiliser.

Nitrogen encourages plant / weed growth such that it can become a severe problem in places - have a look around a 'non-moving' boat and see the weed growth.

An extract from "Agricultural Network"

The high nitrogen levels in urine are favorable for plant growth, though this can actually pose a major environmental hazard when we flush urine down the toilet into the public water systems. After we flush, part of the nitrogen is removed during an energy-intensive denitrification process. The remaining nitrogen often makes its way to natural waterways, where it can off-balance the ecosystems through a process called eutrophication: the excess nitrogen causes increased algae and aquatic plant growth, and as these plants decompose it depletes the oxygen supply that is needed by aquatic animals, often causing death. So it’s preferable to cycle the nutrients in our urine through terrestrial environments rather than aquatic environments, by fertilizing trees, bushes, wildflowers, lawns, and even our gardens.

As far as I am aware it is 'against the rules' to deposit urine into the canal.

.............................................................. So it’s preferable to cycle the nutrients in our urine through terrestrial environments rather than aquatic environments, by fertilizing trees, bushes, wildflowers, lawns, and even our gardens.

Could I conclude from this that the op should use a bucket rather than his sink, then empty it into the bushes???

I think CRT and or landowners may object.

Not done any experiments on this but presumably if there is very little liquid going into the waste tank then when you come to pump out, the contents will not flow to the suction pipe leading to all sorts of problems in the future.

Edited by Chewbacka

Could I conclude from this that the op should use a bucket rather than his sink, then empty it into the bushes???

I think CRT and or landowners may object.

Not done any experiments on this but presumably if there is very little liquid going into the waste tank then when you come to pump out, the contents will not flow to the suction pipe leading to all sorts of problems in the future.

And you will have a large pyramid of poo under the hole....

Presumably neither of you use any water to 'flush' ?

Isn't all these 'green boaters' that use a composting loo 'do' (empty the liquid every day or two either into the hedge bottom, or into the canal ?

Presumably neither of you use any water to 'flush' ?

Isn't all these 'green boaters' that use a composting loo 'do' (empty the liquid every day or two either into the hedge bottom, or into the canal ?

I use water, but only enough to flush what needs flushing down the hole, i dont keep the pedal down after its gone.

I do think if you cut out the number 1's then you will get issues, or have to flush a lot of water.

Maybe im lucky as i have a large tank, 5 weeks between pump outs, i dont feel the need to dispose of my bodily liquids anywhere else but down the loo.

Maybe im lucky as i have a large tank, 5 weeks between pump outs, i dont feel the need to dispose of my bodily liquids anywhere else but down the loo.

It doesn't affect us as we have both a 'sea-toilet' and a cassette, it is emptied every 3 or 4 days (2 of us) at one of the frequent elsan points and so isn't an issue.

I was just taking part in the 'debate' and pointing out some (to me) interesting facts about fertiliser, and 'composting toilet' users.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I think the OP is probably taking the mickey bliss.

Its an obvious idea which has probably occurred to every gent who has ever had the good fortune to be on a boat where he is in charge of emptying (and filling) the lavatory tank.

It could be done but would need good sanitising and also a sensible designed skin fitting which deposited the waste outboard a bit I would have thought.

Also been "done" about a dozen times before on the forum - Google search will find it !

"Skin fitting" - sounds a bit rude oo-er matron :rolleyes:

"Why?" is the obvious question considering the extra space you would need to find plus the increased hassle of emptying 2 different toilet containers. Bizarre IMHO.

Still, if anyone really wants to know how to go about it, I suggest they PM Mr Bizzard. He's the technical wizard for this sort of stuff.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with using a bottle or an "over the side" technique whilst cruising.

urinate.gif

Edited by BargeeSpud

It's being considered whether or not its ok to plumb the urinal so it empties straight into the canal. Isn't it? The whole point being to save on emptying containers.

Perhaps a funnel attached to the inside of the door under the bathroom sink would do the trick. You could plumb a plastic waste pipe from the funnel to the pipe that it is already there to take waste away from the sink.

You have a space saving urinal that empties straight into the cut without creating any additional holes in the boat.

Simple.

if you frequent the Stratford Avon you may be familiar with that famous brew from Wyre Piddle branded as Piddle in the Puddle.

............ not quite sure of any relevance but there you go.

My sister-in-law had 5 sons; she fitted a proper pub urinal in the family bathroom. It was very authentic - even the stale smell of piddle. ohmy.png

In the bad old days, before hotel rooms had full en-suites, everyone used to pee in the washbasin which was usually provided in the corner of the bedroom. A colleague who was a sales rep, travelling all over the UK, and staying in hotels 4 nights a week, recalled how he was a guest in a posh house at a boozy weekend house party. Apparently his wife woke with alarm in middle of the night to witness him trying to pee on the dressing table. They packed their bags and left early next morning, before their hosts awoke.

Edited by Murflynn

It's being considered whether or not its ok to plumb the urinal so it empties straight into the canal. Isn't it? The whole point being to save on emptying containers.

Perhaps a funnel attached to the inside of the door under the bathroom sink would do the trick. You could plumb a plastic waste pipe from the funnel to the pipe that it is already there to take waste away from the sink.

You have a space saving urinal that empties straight into the cut without creating any additional holes in the boat.

Simple.

And for fun you could prettify the outside of the funnel with roses and castles then paint a portrait of someone inside.

In France everything goes over the side. There are almost no sani-stations as we would know them. Considering that they are getting quite environmentally conscious (lots of recycling etc) I find it amazing that it continues. I believe much the same in the rest of the mainland waterways, although some places discourage a discharge in marinas (posssibly for the avoidance of dredging).

Martin/

I'm predictably appalled at the thought of anyone discharging effluent into any waterway.

If you can't have a toilet emptying into a waterway would a urinal be permitted under the same regs.

I certainly wouldn't want it to be common practice going down the weed hatch is bad enough with delving in dilute urine as well.