Looking behind you !

Karen Lea Rainey

Featured Posts

I generally look back to see if they are looking back...

Thanks for the Johnny "Guitar" Watson reference, just listened to the record and it has quite set me up for the marvellous day which lies ahead.

I tend to look back at interesting boats, be they ones powered by thumpy engines or characterful old Springers.

Edited by Athy

Its not just boating. I tend to do it when motorway driving. When a car in another lane traveling slightly faster of slower draws level, I feel driven to glance at the driver.

No idea why but now I've become conscious of it, I often catch them glancing sideways back at me too.

I tend to look back briefly after passing. I also wave when I have eye contact and do generally positive body language as we are in theory both enjoying the boating experience.

Apparently the working boatmen would ignore oncoming steerers until they had passed at which point they would both glance back to make sure nothing had gone wrong. That's what I heard or read somewhere anyway.

Edit for techmicle point

Edited by magnetman

That's interesting but puzzling; if anything goes wrong when passing another boat the steerers should see and/or hear as it happens. But when towing a butty the motor steerer might well look back to check how well the butty is passing the other boat and any other obstacle such as a bridge hole or moored boat.

Apparently the working boatmen would ignore oncoming steerers until they had passed at which point they would both glance back to make sure nothing had gone wrong. That's what I heard or read somewhere anyway.

I thought that they waffled away nineteen to the dozen, as they had only a minute or so's mutual audibility to catch up with the news and scandal.

Edit for techmicle point

I thought they said "how do".

To see if he's been pushed onto the mud??

Omg yer thats true i soon realised going too slow and giving too much space to them speeders is not good, a good amount of revs brings my rear end away from the mud when were 50/50 side to side.

Lesson learnt, but still in the early learning centre.

I often look behind when traveling. I prefer to look at where I've been rather than where I'm going. I always drive a car in reverse for this purpose. I always sit with my back to the engine when on a train. When in a black taxi which hasn't got those little perch seats facing backwards I kneel on the back seat looking out of the window.

This habit began when I was very young you see. My dad had a motor bike combination with child adult sidecar. I soon outgrew the little seat at the back so dad knocked out the partition between the seat back and its little boot and turned the seat backrest to face backwards. I then sat back to front with my legs in the boot, looking at where we'd been.

I wear clothes inside out too. (Inside out) was my field position when forced to play football at school.

I often look behind when traveling. I prefer to look at where I've been rather than where I'm going. I always drive a car in reverse for this purpose. I always sit with my back to the engine when on a train. When in a black taxi which hasn't got those little perch seats facing backwards I kneel on the back seat looking out of the window.

This habit began when I was very young you see. My dad had a motor bike combination with child adult sidecar. I soon outgrew the little seat at the back so dad knocked out the partition between the seat back and its little boot and turned the seat backrest to face backwards. I then sat back to front with my legs in the boot, looking at where we'd been.

I wear clothes inside out too. (Inside out) was my field position when forced to play football at school.

? ot drawrof kool ot gnihtemos taht t'nsi ? samX. ta eganam uoy od woH