* FOUND * Stolen Boat - from Mercia Marina

Yank on the Cut

Featured Posts

The guy taking the video might not have been looking at what he was videoing when he made the comment. Someone might have tapped his shoulder and pointed out something on the opposite bank.

It appears to me that the boat owners are not being very proactive in the search. If it was my boat I would be out on a cycle and checking out the canals myself. I except I am going to get a warning over this but it does seem very strange

• Greenie 1

It appears to me that the boat owners are not being very proactive in the search. If it was my boat I would be out on a cycle and checking out the canals myself. I except I am going to get a warning over this but it does seem very strange

maybe they work and are looking as and when they can?

If they would have a true recent sighting of their boat, I'm pretty sure that that would be what they do, there's not much point bicycling around like a headless chicken.

Peter.

If they would have a true recent sighting of their boat, I'm pretty sure that that would be what they do, there's not much point bicycling around like a headless chicken.

Peter.

<Richard ponders a headless chicken on a bike>

Richard

If I read correctly they live in Essex, so not so easy.

I must admit, you only very rarely see one on a bicycle, and even less often on a towpath.

Peter.

biggrin.png

I'm wondering if anything came from the last sighting. The boat was in a pretty busy area

Richard

biggrin.png

I'm wondering if anything came from the last sighting. The boat was in a pretty busy area

Richard

We don't know it was a sighting. It look more like someone saw the poster and thought "Hmmmm I think I might have seen a boat like that a few days ago", and so reported this as a 'possible sighting'. No photo. No time of day, no date even.

Pretty low grade lead, really. All the sightings so far seem to have been of this vague, after the fact, nature.

What we really need is someone who already knows the boat is missing and has a clear idea of what it looks like to spot it, and take a photo. As happened on the other stolen boat recently.

We don't know it was a sighting. It look more like someone saw the poster and thought "Hmmmm I think I might have seen a boat like that a few days ago", and so reported this as a 'possible sighting'. No photo. No time of day, no date even.

Pretty low grade lead, really. All the sightings so far seem to have been of this vague, after the fact, nature.

What we really need is someone who already knows the boat is missing and has a clear idea of what it looks like to spot it, and take a photo. As happened on the other stolen boat recently.

Absolutely.

Although we're now on page 59 and we'll over 1100 posts of this thread so even then it might not be spotted amongst the "I'm (insert name of unlikely place here) and I've seen (insert nothing useful here)". Harsh, I know, but information overload is a real thing. Anyway, I'm in my garden with a beer, agreeing with Mike and hoping that the boat turns up soon. ;)

I also think this is a bit harsh.

I have not yet seen one jot of evidence of a likely sighting of the boat that .......

1) Gives any real confidence that it was the actual boat

2) Was recent enough to give any real chance that the boat is still somewhere close by

Even if they had nothing else to do, (and clearly they do) one couple on a random search of several thousand miles of rivers and canals isn't particularly likely to find it. In fact you can more or less guarantee they never would.

In my view they are far better doing what they are doing - investing huge amounts of time and effort into trying to make as many people (boaters, CRT staff, businesses, etc) know about it. As it could be literally anywhere now, it will only be found by sheer force of numbers, I think, and even that will be difficult after so much time.

• Greenie 2

Nothing seen today, alas. I only had the morning free, but was up early. Checked out Brewood, nipped across to Gailey Lock, then Wheaton Aston Lock, a couple of bridges north of there, then the whole of Tyrley Locks and Audlem Locks. I told the vollocky at Tyrley what I was doing - he hadn't heard of the theft but promised to look out.

I fancy the trail was already cold if the boat had come south from Barbridge (if it was even seen by Venetian). However, it felt worth doing, and if there's another sighting on the southern SUC or the Llan/Monty, I'll do my best to get out there.

Edited by stripey

when you have a boat safety done do one take down engine numbers and any other identifying numbers off boat.It may be a good idea to send them info just in case the thief tries to get a new cert on it now or in the future.

The only problem with that is you could be riding round on one canal and it could be somewhere else entirely.C&G are doing as much as they can as is everyone on the forum

I do think the boat is long gone if I am honest. changes carried out respray and re id as another boat probably on another waterway authority maybe middle levels where no license or bss/insurance required. In the fullness of time it might show itself but I really do doubt it

If someone gets a good sighting shouldn't they phone the police?

Of course the police should be informed, but it's maybe better if the owners come first to make sure that it's really their boat, and not just another lookalike.

Peter.

Of course the police should be informed, but it's maybe better if the owners come first to make sure that it's really their boat, and not just another lookalike.

Peter.

If it was my boat I'd hope the police were called immediately. Why incur an additional delay?