* FOUND * Stolen Boat - from Mercia Marina

Yank on the Cut

Featured Posts

Nothing seen today, alas. I only had the morning free, but was up early. Checked out Brewood, nipped across to Gailey Lock, then Wheaton Aston Lock, a couple of bridges north of there, then the whole of Tyrley Locks and Audlem Locks. I told the vollocky at Tyrley what I was doing - he hadn't heard of the theft but promised to look out.

I fancy the trail was already cold if the boat had come south from Barbridge (if it was even seen be Venetian). However, it felt worth doing, and if there's another sighting on the southern SUC or the Llan/Monty, I'll do my best to get out there.

Good effort Stripey, keep up the good work. Are you close to the Preece arm & marina? A good hiding place IMHO.

Edited by Flyboy

Realistically, the police will only being making any effort at all as it's a novel and amusing diversion. Even so, they just don't have the manpower. If someone pinches a £50k car, the response is likely to be taking a statement full stop, if you're lucky. Nobody hurt, insurance picks up the pieces, they have better things to do with their limited resources.

That's the sad reality. They will of course be delighted if someone finds it and spring into action, but I wouldn't expect too much otherwise.

If it was my boat I'd hope the police were called immediately. Why incur an additional delay?

I may be wrong, but I don't think that going to look at a boat, that may not be the missing one, but maybe only a lookalike, isn't going to be a priority for the police.

That why I said that it would be better if the owners, that will be able to recognise their boat, have a look first, to make sure.

Peter.

Am I safe to assume the boat called Aurora at Fradley Junction is one of the known 6?

I remember a post about a boat going out for the weekend but can't find it in all this other stuff. smile.png

yes it is the 5th boat to be identified

We are just travelling north towards Stone, and passed an identical boat 'rare bear' at Weston. The people aboard challenged us when they saw us photographing their boat.

They must be fed up with us busybodies taking such an interest in their boat!

I presume that this is also on of the 6 as it was nicely sign written - but you never know!

• Greenie 1

It appears to me that the boat owners are not being very proactive in the search. If it was my boat I would be out on a cycle and checking out the canals myself. I except I am going to get a warning over this but it does seem very strange

Oh I am so glad you came along.

There has been far too much sense spoken on this thread up until now. What with a nice couple being robbed of their boat and all.

So your in depth opinion based on .... errrr .... something, I suppose ... if only a total lack of understanding regarding their personal lives, responsibilities and immediate demands is just what they need right now.

May I request in future that if any thread on here gets a bit too in depth regarding reality of life and man's ability to selfishly screw up somebody else's life without a second thought, that you should please give us the benefit of your opinion?

Thank you so much, I can't wait for your next contribution.

PS .... What did you mean by " I except ....." ?

• Greenie 2

Good effort Stripey, keep up the good work. Are you close to the Preece arm & marina? A good hiding place IMHO.

My nearest bit of canal is about 25 miles away, so that's within range, when I'm free!

We are just travelling north towards Stone, and passed an identical boat 'rare bear' at Weston. The people aboard challenged us when they saw us photographing their boat.

I presume that this is also on of the 6 as it was nicely sign written - but you never know!

Has anybody verified Rare Bear as a registered boat? I can only find a GRP one of that name.

yes it is the 5th boat to be identified

It would be handy to know the names of all the other five - I could add them to the summary thread.

Does anyone know this info?

Do you remember which way it was facing, Nick and Anne?

It would be handy to know the names of all the other five - I could add them to the summary thread.

Does anyone know this info?

Ones I know are genuine:

Dog & Duck

Aurora

Piggin Barnpots (70')

any more folks?

Ones I know are genuine:

Dog & Duck

Aurora

Piggin Barnpots (70')

any more folks?

Surely someone on here knows Rare Bear?

Sadly I have left the camera cable at home, so I have taken a pic of the camera with my phone. Sorry, I don't know how to turn it the right way round.

Apart from being the obvious shape, it did strike me as odd that it was moored on the offside, by what I think is now an empty house by the Saracens Head.

post-25427-0-30951200-1470427813_thumb.jpeg

• Greenie 1

Ones I know are genuine:

Dog & Duck

Aurora

Piggin Barnpots (70')

any more folks?

Surely someone on here knows Rare Bear?

can someone nip down to the bottom of stenson lock for the other 2 MCC boats? i am not in the area right now.

post-1310-0-87327600-1470428145_thumb.jpg

RARE BEAR

Edited by GoodGurl
  • Greenie 1

It could. Shame we don't have an index number

Richard

I tried zooming in on the photo - the index number is painted on the front top edge, but unfortunately the glare from the sun obscures it.\

If the owners of Rare Bear were getting all stressy about having their boat photo taken, just imagine the state they will be in if people start writing down their registration number! Maybe a quiet word as to why might be a good idea!

The lady on board demanded to know if we were searching for the missing boat. If she were genuine she would obviously deny that this was the one. One the other hand, if it were the stolen boat, then they would probably say the same thing. These thoughts flashed through the brain very quickly, but Anne had already replied that she liked the boat name, and by then further explanation was too late as we had passed by.

Sadly I have left the camera cable at home, so I have taken a pic of the camera with my phone. Sorry, I don't know how to turn it the right way round.

Apart from being the obvious shape, it did strike me as odd that it was moored on the offside, by what I think is now an empty house by the Saracens Head.

I have dislocated my neck, but I think this is Rare Bear!