* FOUND * Stolen Boat - from Mercia Marina

Yank on the Cut

Featured Posts

It's a frustratingly sketchy report. The location doesn't exist and no clue as to whether this was an hour ago or three weeks ago.

I fear I may have added to the confusion by speculating the initial letter 'C' might have been missing from the location.

indeed - i can get to Hack Green or Bunbury in 15mins in the motor but i'm not going chasing round the countryside if the sighting was days ago

indeed - i can get to Hack Green or Bunbury in 15mins in the motor but i'm not going chasing round the countryside if the sighting was days ago

And equally, Hackney Green or Banbury would take you a whole lot longer!

Hi all, I know this isn't the place to introduce oneself under normal circumstances, but...

I don't have a canal boat and don't think I've ever been on one either. I'm a dinghy sailor who saw a link to this thread on Facebook and have been following it avidly ever since; with all respect to the owners of the missing boat, it's addictive! After all, it is fascinating how 50 feet of steel boat can disappear so effectively! But I have noticed the little bit at the bottom of the page which shows' xx users are reading this topic; xx members, xx guests, xx anonymous users. I strongly suspect that when it says ' 1 anonymous user', that has been me, so I thought I should register and explain before someone else gets the wrong idea!

Chris and Graham, I do hope you get your boat back very soon, and undamaged as well. I'll continue to follow the saga on a daily basis and am only sorry that there is no water local to me that might need checking. But I am also an avid birdwatcher and I do travel a bit, quite frequently to areas with rivers, canals etc, so having made a drawing of the window layout etc to take with me I'll add my eyes and binoculars to the search. When the saga draws to a close as sooner or later it must, I'll log off and leave you all to your peaceful traversing of the nation's inland waterways...

• Greenie 1

If this last sighting is accurate then the most likely direction it will head is south down the Shropshire union. If it goes north to Ellesmere Port or up the LLangollen it will be trapped. Is there anyone that can check Nantwich & Hack Green locks & Audlem ?

Hi all, I know this isn't the place to introduce oneself under normal circumstances, but...

I don't have a canal boat and don't think I've ever been on one either. I'm a dinghy sailor who saw a link to this thread on Facebook and have been following it avidly ever since; with all respect to the owners of the missing boat, it's addictive! After all, it is fascinating how 50 feet of steel boat can disappear so effectively! But I have noticed the little bit at the bottom of the page which shows' xx users are reading this topic; xx members, xx guests, xx anonymous users. I strongly suspect that when it says ' 1 anonymous user', that has been me, so I thought I should register and explain before someone else gets the wrong idea!

Chris and Graham, I do hope you get your boat back very soon, and undamaged as well. I'll continue to follow the saga on a daily basis and am only sorry that there is no water local to me that might need checking. But I am also an avid birdwatcher and I do travel a bit, quite frequently to areas with rivers, canals etc, so having made a drawing of the window layout etc to take with me I'll add my eyes and binoculars to the search. When the saga draws to a close as sooner or later it must, I'll log off and leave you all to your peaceful traversing of the nation's inland waterways...

Welcome to the forum, and I'm wondering if you have just missed the boat - so to speak. The latest developments are very interesting

Richard

Yes Junior my thoughts entirely, to many people keep on saying silly things I am In Castleford two days a go I was in Rotherham, big canals fast movement.! I would have gone from Mercia to the trent, gone north [after putting false plates on the boat] within the week it could have been hundreds of canal miles away no problem.

If was me i would get it onto ea watera and register it and sell it.

As ea water is diffrent licance no one would question it wouldnt flag any suspicion as if its on ea waters you would go on ea first to then get it off there then register it for crt licance unless you did a joint licance but alot of people looking on ea water wont tend to want a crt licance why there looking on ea.

And equally, Hackney Green or Banbury would take you a whole lot longer!

clapping.gif

I knew exactly where he meant though

I'm currently not far from Wrenbury & making sure i clock all boats passing

What we need is someone at Audlem and someone up towards Chester to stay put and watch all the time

Just bumping this.

It needs attention.

...or perhaps not. See post 1023.

But we will keep looking on our way up the GU towards Cosgrove

I havent seen it coming past down from cosgrove.

Cholmondeston lock is on the middlewich branch, if they turn right at the end it leads to Ellesmere port, left takes them to hurleston junction of the Llangollen or they can go up the shroppie towards the Audlem flight.

i have emailed you a map of the area so you know where it could turn off.

If they go to the port its got endless ways as you can get to the lift or go down ship canal or even to liverpool

If they go to the port its got endless ways as you can get to the lift or go down ship canal or even to liverpool

The boat lift is on the T and M, and surely they'd need to sort out permission from Peel to go on the Ship Canal.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums//public/style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif[/

What we need is someone at Audlem and someone up towards Chester to stay put and watch all the time

I have rung overwater Marina to keep a look out

Edited by STIG

clapping.gif

I'm tied up today, but could get across to Audlem tomorrow morning before working in Shrewsbury in the afternoon.

Chas Hardern Boats is on the GU at Tarporley, North of the Barbridge junction towards Chester. Might be worth a call.

Correct - (on the SUC).

I don't know what these endless ways are, I only know two. I do know that the lock gates at Ellesmere Port are chained up & you need lots of paperwork to access the Man. Ship Canal. If they go on the Weaver all the locks are manned.

Please do it if you're that close.

Well i cant be in 3 places at once now can i

If there's anyone else in the area TODAY then we can get ourselves organised and cover all 3 possible routes - assuming the sighting was today of course which the owner hasn't verified yet

Could do with more info about the spotting by Venetian, as well as when it was spotted, has it changed appearance and which direction was it pointing?

it was pointing towards Barbridge so it's going up towards chester, south towards Audlem or up the Llangollen

Was it a lock keeper that saw it? If so why didnt they ask to see there licance and reg no? If i was a locky and was looking for a stolen boat i would when they cant produce it say sorry i need to check with head office take photos of the boat and people and call crt dirct

Was it a lock keeper that saw it? If so why didnt they ask to see there licance and reg no? If i was a locky and was looking for a stolen boat i would when they cant produce it say sorry i need to check with head office take photos of the boat and people and call crt dirct

it wasn't a lock keeper it was someone from the marina, that lock dont have a lockie on it.