* FOUND * Stolen Boat - from Mercia Marina

Yank on the Cut

Featured Posts

Fifty foot boats are pretty common, and there are getting on for 30,000 boats on the cut, so about 2,500 applications a month. I doubt that would work - especially if the license was applied for early or late

Richard

unless it was a change of ownership, there cant be that many 50 footers changing hands surely.

I was just checking in on this today and see that every body still thinks there are only 6 of these boats was this info from the horses mouth? When I was chatting to the more recent ex employee of mcc he said there were a lot more I will try and make contact with him he has moved off from burton and will ask him to make contact

• Greenie 1

unless it was a change of ownership, there cant be that many 50 footers changing hands surely.

You beat me to it with this response to RLWP. I did say they may be innocent and as such would, one hopes, supply their details as a new owner. Three factors would cut the list down a bit. - 1) New Owner - 2) Same length as lost boat - 3) renewal date same as lost boat.

Hope this boat is found soon. All this jumping up and down every time a boat goes past is very tiring! :)

And as I have cleverly painted all my portholes there isn't much clear glass for peering through either.

Especially at 5am in the morning when the hatches are most definitely not open.

I can confirm that the boat has not been seen between Braunston and Buckby top lock this morning.

Met loads of boats in the tunnel and I scrutinised them all for the one porthole so it didn't get by me in there. However since being here it could have come down from Crick and gone to Braunston without me knowing anything about it.

Hey ho.

Chris and Graham,

I know this is a very long shot but we are looking closely at all the boats we pass on the Leeds and Liverpool. So far we have scanned the Rufford Branch from Rufford to Lathom, then onto Wigan and Chorley. Heading to Leeds and beyond eventually . Just to let you know you aren't forgotten by those of us in the north.

Actually, I don't think it is a long shot at all. The midlands seem to have been searched pretty thoroughly with no sign.

My gut feeling is that it has either been removed from the waterways somehow or, more likely, now is at the far reaches of the network.

By now ALL connected parts of the network are just as likely as the midlands, perhaps more so.

Ken

Thought - If it gets sold to innocent folk, they may well apply for a new licence when the current one runs out. You could ask the licensing agency to flag up the renewal date and watch for a boat of similar length at that time?

New owners have to apply for a licence immediately - they are no longer transferable when a boat changes hands.

We agree the boat had time to travel a long distance especially with the light evenings. The only authority we have not informed is the Manchestership canal. She could well be in a distant location now, in fact anywhere. We cannot understand out of all the hundreds of boats there are on the canal, why did they pick on ours!? Perhaps our loss adjuster or the Police will answer this question soon! Thank you all for all the jumping up and down when a boat passes you, please if you do make sure the hatch is slid back! We Will keep you informed sith progress updates. We really do miss being on the canals.

New owners have to apply for a licence immediately - they are no longer transferable when a boat changes hands.

I have a sneaky feeling the thief will not send off the change of ownership paperwork if/when he sells the boat.

Call me suspicious...

Watching passing boats today, whilst playing with puppeh, and one stood out (not the stolen boat) that showed how easily it could be disguised to any passing eye. It had the same look to the stern, except the curve of the skirt top was flat...fairly easy to change it to that. The stern ends of the cabin looked roughly the same with the lockers and extra edge section, but no rising bars....easy to remove. Window frames were black...They could easily be painted over the brass effect, and it was cream, and blue...a quick paint job somewhere. The back of the skirt had 2 big overlapping initials painted on it which could disguise any cut outs in the steel, or filled in cut outs, and of course a hire boat. ..who would think twice? Window layout completely different, and definitely longer than 50ft, so not the one we are looking for, but it makes you very aware of how easily it could slip by with actually fairly straightforward changes that would very much disguise it.

Watching passing boats today, whilst playing with puppeh, and one stood out (not the stolen boat) that showed how easily it could be disguised to any passing eye. It had the same look to the stern, except the curve of the skirt top was flat...fairly easy to change it to that. The stern ends of the cabin looked roughly the same with the lockers and extra edge section, but no rising bars....easy to remove. Window frames were black...They could easily be painted over the brass effect, and it was cream, and blue...a quick paint job somewhere. The back of the skirt had 2 big overlapping initials painted on it which could disguise any cut outs in the steel, or filled in cut outs, and of course a hire boat. ..who would think twice? Window layout completely different, and definitely longer than 50ft, so not the one we are looking for, but it makes you very aware of how easily it could slip by with actually fairly straightforward changes that would very much disguise it.

this boat passed me to at braunston, i believe the overlapping initials are CC

• Greenie 1

it wasn't up by star city today .I was looking at the time line of events.Now the boat was nicked from Mercier,spotted by crt logger at br32 ,the plates were then found at hartshill. Can anyone really see them going all the way round to come down the Atherstone flight where the plates were dumped to end up at Fradley where they could easily be spotted by CCTV or anyone looking for the boat,Or turning round on the T&M and going back towards Fradley to go up Coventry canal and passing the marina they stole boat from.It would make more sense to get as far away as possible on the network . After all the thief would have no idea if C&G would turn up on the day it was nicked or a month later And notice it gone.

But there are many other (20 I think) Inland Waterways Navigation Authorities in addition to C&RT.

They will have no record of a C&RT registered boat when they are requested to register it as a 'new boat' on their waterways.

I had similar when I bought a 'new' (2003) boat onto C&RT waters for the first time, just sent in a registration form, C&RT sent the registration plate / number back by return. No questions as to where it had been or where it had come from.

C&RT are only responsible for about 50% of the Inland Waterways.

Edit to add the 'correct number'

AINA =- Association Of Inland Navigation Authorities

AINA is the industry body in Great Britain for those authorities with statutory or other legal responsibility for the management and operation of navigable inland waterways for navigation and wider uses.

There are 21 AINA members and they are drawn from the public, private and third sectors. They include British Waterways and the Environment Agency which are publicly owned and receive grant-inaid from government, in addition to the Broads Authority, national park authorities, local government authorities, private canal companies, internal drainage boards, and a variety of public and charitable trusts.

Between them, AINA members have responsibility for some 5,658 km of navigable inland waterways.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Please has anyone had anther look at the boat I posted about in grey primer above Kinver. I suggested tat my entry should be removed form the list because I just wanted another person to view it because at the time I was not looking for that boat.

I have a sneaky feeling the thief will not send off the change of ownership paperwork if/when he sells the boat.

Call me suspicious...

That's my feeling, too. And the thief won't bother licensing the boat as without any visible details on it, it's more work for the CRT bod to suss him out,

That's my feeling, too. And the thief won't bother licensing the boat as without any visible details on it, it's more work for the CRT bod to suss him out,

But a new owner who is unaware they just bought a stolen boat may have done or is about to do so.

New Owner - 50 foot - in the last month.

Can't be so many of those as to make it impossible to answer.

Perhaps this is one for the Loss Adjuster to enquire about with the various water authorities.

Thought - If it gets sold to innocent folk, they may well apply for a new licence when the current one runs out. You could ask the licensing agency to flag up the renewal date and watch for a boat of similar length at that time?

Yes, but how would they know when the license runs out? The licenses were dumped along with the number plates.

ETA Have the police got any fingerprints from the plates? (Apart from mine!)

Edited by Beaker

That's a Clifton Cruisers hire boat, they have several in the same livery. They are Dave Reeves hulls.

That's it! You can see how the stolen boat could be made a lookalikey with relatively little work, to blend away. Assuming they all have the same stern

Yes, but how would they know when the license runs out? The licenses were dumped along with the number plates.

All CRT licences terminate when the boat changes hands IIRC. But how a new owner is supposed to know this is not clear unless the new owner pro-actively contacts CRT to tell them they've bought it.

But in the case of this stolen boat (does it have a name by the way? I know it isn't signwritten but is it unnamed too?) there may well be no licence discs displayed as they will bear the licence number which would identify the boat.

Would that not be a positive thing? The sooner the boat is re-licenced the better in terms of locating it. Not for the poor un-suspecting new owner of course, but there can't be many 50' boats being either registered for the first time or re-licenced. I think it would be a new registration rather than a re-licencing anyway, which would at least narrow it down initially.

Of coure it would not just be CRT that would need to be looking into this but all of the waterways authorities.

Ken

All CRT licences terminate when the boat changes hands IIRC. But how a new owner is supposed to know this is not clear unless the new owner pro-actively contacts CRT to tell them they've bought it.

But in the case of this stolen boat (does it have a name by the way? I know it isn't signwritten but is it unnamed too?) there may well be no licence discs displayed as they will bear the licence number which would identify the boat.

The space on the licence said 'NO NAME'