* FOUND * Stolen Boat - from Mercia Marina

Yank on the Cut

Featured Posts

The gauge is just inside the hatch door on the left, and it was on red. However, It does seem a very busy place to crane out a boat, what with permanent moorers, A38 passing traffic and if my memory is correct a children's playground. We would have thought they would have picked a quieter spot to Crane out a narrowboat. But who knows what they would have planned. All theories gratefully received though. We have sent on the craning out theory to our loss adjuster, Many thanks to you all again. Our Loss adjuster is very efficient making his own Enquiries and with all of you on the case we feel confident that will once more be reunited with our boat. Soon we hope! thanks a million!

There is no way I can see a boat being craned out at Horninglow basin.

For one thing the access would be just about impossible on the towpath side and I can't see anybody removing a stolen boat under the gaze of those that moor there,

I can't ever recall passing when there wasn't sombody about on or close to those moorings.

Edited by MJG

There is no way I can see a boat being craned out at Horninglow basin.

For one thing the access would be just about impossible on the towpath side and I can't see anybody removing a stolen boat under the gaze of those that moor there,

I agree. But if you want reassurance you could ask Ray Bowern at Streethay Wharf, who runs these moorings and I presume who'd be able to ask round his moorers in case they saw anything suspicious.

If I were to guess at where you'd squirrel a boat away within easy cruise of Mercia, it would be a not-usually navigated stretch of river: one of the backwaters on the Soar, maybe the Trent upstream of Trent Bridge (i.e. away from the main navigation), or somewhere like that. There are places on the BCN where one could hide, too, but this seems less likely.

Edited by Richard Fairhurst

I agree. But if you want reassurance you could ask Ray Bowern at Streethay Wharf, who runs these moorings and I presume who'd be able to ask round his moorers in case they saw anything suspicious.

If I were to guess at where you'd squirrel a boat away within easy cruise of Mercia, it would be one of the backwaters on the Soar; less likely, somewhere obscure on the BCN, or maybe the Trent upstream of Trent Bridge (i.e. away from the main navigation).

Do we know that the police have talked to the moorers there, one would hope so, but if not I would think that needs to be followed up on. Similarly the CRT checker. At this point this is the last known location of the boat, so it may be possible to understand what it did there and when it moved off, assuming it was not craned. It seems strange that it stopped there so soon after being taken.

Could Chris & Graham confirm if this line has been followed up on?

Ultimately there are many places on the network where this boat could be holed up, It could even travel from one place to one that has been declared "checked" by walkers or boaters a day ago, assuming that it's still on the system. If it's in a yard somewhere via crane it's just "likely somewhere in Britain" But IMO the sightings of a likely boat with the young woman and older man possibly indicate that the boat is being used to live on, and could end up looking like lots of other brush painted tatty boats on a mooring under a different name and maybe a "borrowed" reg number.

Of the sure facts, we can assume that CaRT, the police and the insurers are NOT telling what they have found possibly so that the current driver of the vessel doesn't plan tomorrow's route by the hunter's divulged plan. Maybe they will be listening to each other, let's hope.

Do we know that the police have talked to the moorers there, one would hope so, but if not I would think that needs to be followed up on. Similarly the CRT checker. At this point this is the last known location of the boat, so it may be possible to understand what it did there and when it moved off, assuming it was not craned. It seems strange that it stopped there so soon after being taken.

Could Chris & Graham confirm if this line has been followed up on?

There is of course water at Horninglow basin so perhaps if he knew he was off on a longish cruise he did top up there after all?.

There is of course water at Horninglow basin so perhaps if he knew he was off on a longish cruise he did top up there after all?.

If it was clocked by CRT on the water point, then there is a good chance the checker would remember that, and the guy would have been with the boat so he could well have talked to him.

If it was clocked by CRT on the water point, then there is a good chance the checker would remember that, and the guy would have been with the boat so he could well have talked to him.

i doubt the checker would have spoken to him as the water point is on the offside next to the moorings.

Missed that.

Then sombody should defo speak to the boaters who moor there. They are very close to the facilities block there, it's literally a matter of feet to one side between the moorings and the water point, on a sunny day if they were sat outside they used to hold up score cards to 'mark' your efforts of getting on and off the water point. :lol:

i doubt the checker would have spoken to him as the water point is on the offside next to the moorings.

One of the moorers may have done though.

Spotted a boat with identical stern heading through amington towards fazeley at 2pm yesterday.

Chap In 30's and blonde woman a bit younger.

Couldn't chase after them for a closer look as had 3 kids and 2 dogs in tow.

Couldn't update til now as had no connection

Apologies if it was an innocent lookalike

We still don't have a name for this boat, or an accurate enough description of the boat to rule it out. I think it needs to be done if anyone sees it again.

Just pondering on how a boat this size can vanish and wondering if anyone knows how similar to Que Sera Sera this boat might be? Could whoever took took her have taken this one as an upgrade? Who really would know if someone has a legit number and name and just transfers both onto a newer boat, repaint, cover the back (pram hood?) move to a different marina.

Is this possible?

edit to add missing e

Edited by Bearsteen

Please be aware that a crane belonging to the crane company mentioned yesterday went by the marina again this morning so probably doing some work nearby.

The loss adjuster is going to follow up the fact one of their cranes went by on the same day in the same time frame as the boat was stolen,

The road is quite a minor one and so cranes are a rarity.

Edited by Yank on the Cut

Just pondering on how a boat this size can vanish and wondering if anyone knows how similar to Que Sera Sera this boat might be

Can we shut this line of speculation down please? As far as we can tell, that boat was never 'stolen' and the whole affair was an insurance scam. This case is entirely different

Such random speculation doesn't help

Richard

May I offer my apologies I should not have posted my thoughts on a public forum

Apologies, that sounded a bit short. And it wasn't you that set that particular hare running - I also had a part in it

Richard

Yes, excellent effort Stripey!

It is very interesting to see all the detail summarised that way.

What I really had not picked up upon is that even excluding one possible sighting that seems to be definitely confirmed as a different boat, there are something approaching 20 other possible sightings, (all over the place of course, not a linear progression away from Mercia!).

Have any of those actually had any significant supporting evidence that they might actually be the missing boat, though? The boat is distinctive enough that nearly 20 "possibles" seems surprising.

A quick comment to everyone. The new pinned 'summary' thread is intended to be a condensed summary of actual data and hard information we have to hand about the missing boat.

The purpose of it will be diluted if people continue to post comments and opinions about the search on the summary thread, as opposed to factual information.

Please post comments and opinons here, not in the pinned thread. Many thanks!

• Greenie 4