* FOUND * Stolen Boat - from Mercia Marina

Yank on the Cut

Featured Posts

Especially if covered with a tarpaulin.

Who here has the cheek to untie a tarp over someone else's boat to check the stern shape and window pattern?

he clearly has no intention of hiding if the boat spotted at venetian is the stolen one.

Chester basin used to have moorings at the bottom, next to a lock onto the Dee. Didn't used to get footfall, except for the homeless. Not sure if the moorings are still down there, though.

As far a i know its not easy to get onto the dee at the mo.

Yes port think you need permission to go down onto the ship canal.

Leaves welsh cut or towards the severn. There are loads of places to hide on the severn.

Need to catch this boat at the turn! Any one able to put a time scale together of the peoples trip this way we can get a average travelling time a day. Seam like they haven't changed it much which means there either slowly travelling or using as a hol till it gets found.

Edited by billybobbooth

Are there any locked locks along eather route? Or 24 hour checked locks?

Severn is a bit of a risk as there are lockys at most locks on rivers. Welsh cut are the locks manned?

If it was me i would be on a bike with a few people and drop them off at 10 mile intervals with 3 people you can cover 30+ miles each by using a or van to drop off and pick up i know its man power but 1 day spent on a perfect identification of the boat youll find it in that day

I have talked to several marinas and boatyards all this afternoon about this recent sighting, and only two I phoned had heard of the stolen boat. I have been though the mooring book and emailed most and our loss adjuster has emailed heaps of boat marinas and yards yet still it seems lots of them Are still unaware. The dog and duck went through the Atherstone locks and the lock keepers did not spot it. it was only Dave Payne who did and followed them down until we were sure between us that it was not our boat. So with that in mind it could be out there, says she hopefully. It may well be another false sighting, but one time it will not. Do not be put off contacting us and qthe sighting proving to be false, please let us know if you feel it could be ours. If we can Make a note of who was onboard, if you can, and try to take photos on your phone, not always easy with tiller in hand! But we may just crack it next time. What can we say, you have been brilliant,

Anyone on the river Nene? That's been known to hide stolen boats from time to time... plenty of reeds I believe.

We're going down there on Saturday. We will be starting the Rothersthorpe flight in the morning.

Nick

Having just relocated my home mooring from Brinklow to Wyken Basin, I can confirm that the missing boat is most definitely not hiding on the Wyken arm or beneath the M6 motorway. However, forum members may be interested to note that the Chairman of the Coventry Canal Society has just posted on that organisation's closed Facebook page that a boat was stolen from Coventry Cruising Club moorings (next door on the Wyken arm) earlier this week and is sensibly reminding all moorers at both locations to be extra vigilant.

Especially if covered with a tarpaulin.

Who here has the cheek to untie a tarp over someone else's boat to check the stern shape and window pattern?

I certainly do. Mind you it's the window arrangement that really gives it away. It's rare to have the whole boat covered.

N

I have talked to several marinas and boatyards all this afternoon about this recent sighting, and only two I phoned had heard of the stolen boat. I have been though the mooring book and emailed most and our loss adjuster has emailed heaps of boat marinas and yards yet still it seems lots of them Are still unaware. The dog and duck went through the Atherstone locks and the lock keepers did not spot it. it was only Dave Payne who did and followed them down until we were sure between us that it was not our boat. So with that in mind it could be out there, says she hopefully. It may well be another false sighting, but one time it will not. Do not be put off contacting us and qthe sighting proving to be false, please let us know if you feel it could be ours. If we can Make a note of who was onboard, if you can, and try to take photos on your phone, not always easy with tiller in hand! But we may just crack it next time. What can we say, you have been brilliant,

I find this extraordinary. I know that marina managers can be busy but I would have thought that it would have been really good publicity if they were seen to be doing their best. It would make their moorers happier too, knowing that the marina management were taking an active interest.

N

Having just relocated my home mooring from Brinklow to Wyken Basin, I can confirm that the missing boat is most definitely not hiding on the Wyken arm or beneath the M6 motorway. However, forum members may be interested to note that the Chairman of the Coventry Canal Society has just posted on that organisation's closed Facebook page that a boat was stolen from Coventry Cruising Club moorings (next door on the Wyken arm) earlier this week and is sensibly reminding all moorers at both locations to be extra vigilant.

On a closed FB page!! What's the use of that?

N

On a closed FB page!! What's the use of that?

Well, quite a lot of use actually. As landward security at both mooring sites on the Wyken arm is very tight with high fences and massive steel gates, and there was no sign of forced entry, it seems likely that the thieves accessed the site by water so a timely reminder to all moorers on the arm to be extra vigilant is eminently sensible, but not of much interest to anyone not moored there.

Edited to add that the boat stolen from Wyken has been found near Sutton Stop amd returned to it's owner

Edited by lydfordcastle

We've turned round at Banbury and are heading back up the Oxford. Nothing seen to help directly with the boat search but I have seen Findmyboat posters displayed at both Napton boat yard and Sovereign Wharf in Banbury.

Well, quite a lot of use actually. As landward security at both mooring sites on the Wyken arm is very tight with high fences and massive steel gates, and there was no sign of forced entry, it seems likely that the thieves accessed the site by water so a timely reminder to all moorers on the arm to be extra vigilant is eminently sensible, but not of much interest to anyone not moored there.

I can see that it will warn moorers to be vigilant, but it is of rather limited use in locating the missing boat.

N

Leaves welsh cut or towards the severn. There are loads of places to hide on the severn.

Severn lock-keepers are religious about recording the number of every boat that passes through their locks. Unless they hide without passing through any locks (which only leaves a couple of possible places, which I won't name) I think the Severn's the least likely of the rivers for them to hide on.

Edited by Richard Fairhurst

But it doesn't really help to recover that stolen boat either, just posting on a closed fb account. We are just setting off down the Coventry from Fradley and could easily keep an eye out for that one at the same time. As it is I have no idea what I might be looking for.

Ken

There are still moorings down there and would be quite a good hiding place. Anyone around Chester willing to take a stroll down there & have a look ?

Got back into Chester today from Ellesmere Port & the boat isn't down on the bottom moorings.Heading towards Beeston tomorrow.

I'm at the end of the ellesmere arm at the moment...and I'm on the lookout!.....going down the monty tomorrow but you do need to book in with northwich office for that...who may or may not cross reference stuff if it's using a false ID....will keep a close eye out....off towards Llan on Monday.

I did wonder about Prees branch and the marina.

As aside if you had a large marina such as Sawley...Mercia etc.....how easy would it be to tuck a boat up on an vacant berth for a while without anyone noticing.....if you've got enough front I'm sure you could get away with it for a bit......I know some marinas are more diligent than others.....if you moor in such a place it might be worth a wander round.....

Cheers

Gareth

I'm at Sawley and I've already alerted the office to this possibility. They do have regular walk-round checks of all the moorings. I and other moorers are aware of the stolen boat and are keeping an eye out as we walk round. Friends running the hire fleet and trip boats who are frequently on the front are also watching passing boats.

But it doesn't really help to recover that stolen boat either, just posting on a closed fb account. We are just setting off down the Coventry from Fradley and could easily keep an eye out for that one at the same time. As it is I have no idea what I might be looking for.

Ken

The boat taken from the Wyken Arm was quickly recovered at Sutton Stop.

So the announcement on FB was that it had, both been taken and recovered.

If it had been taken and was still missing I don't think it would have been so casually mentioned.

However it does demonstrate just how more aware everyone needs to be.

We have been contacted someone who has noticed our boat moored on the towpath on the Trent and Mersea, just below Great Heywood Junction. It was posted on the 11th of July, but we feel it was when we were returning from our trip up to Stone on the 31st of June. If you would like to take a look, it really does show the unusual stern platform. If you go to YouTube. Type in: narrowboat holiday on the Trent and Mersea canal 2016 watch pt. 3. It is 2mins into the film. Thank you for all have done today, Here's for tomorrow!

We have been contacted someone who has noticed our boat moored on the towpath on the Trent and Mersea, just below Great Heywood Junction. It was posted on the 11th of July, but we feel it was when we were returning from our trip up to Stone on the 31st of June. If you would like to take a look, it really does show the unusual stern platform. If you go to YouTube. Type in: narrowboat holiday on the Trent and Mersea canal 2016 watch pt. 3. It is 2mins into the film. Thank you for all have done today, Here's for tomorrow!

I'm really sorry to say this, but trying to decipher facts and information from some of your posts is difficult at best.

• Greenie 3

I'm really sorry to say this, but trying to decipher facts and information from some of your posts is difficult at best.

Agreed. I'm unsure if this video is a sighting of the stolen boat, or when you were boating before it was taken.

Curious though that your boat was moored in front of another with the same stern arrangement.