Removing a pump out toilet

Jerome1

Featured Posts

Hi, I have just moved onto a new (second hand) boat that has a pump out toilet, I havnt used it yet but I would like to take it out and continue to use my composting toilet from my old boat. I have been searching through the Internet for any information about doing this but I can't seem to find any, has anyone who has removed their pump out wc got any advice? Is it a simple operation? I would like to take out the whole thing including the tank but I have heard about people just removing the toilet and sealing up the pipe. If anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated!

It's a sh**ty job but someone has to do it :rolleyes:

Would help to know the basic details as mentioned above ;)

I suspect as "sealing up the pipe" has been mentioned it is probably a macerator (tecma or similar) type with a remote tank probably a polypropylene one.

Guessing

1st job measure the tank

2nd job measure the door ways

3rd job decide whether 1 will go through 2

4th job decide how strong is your stomach/how deep your pockets are

Bod

As well as the size, you need to find out whether your tank is attached to the boat in some way. Ours was just sitting on the floor, with some battens to stop it moving, so it was straightforward (I'm not saying easy!) to get it out. However, some are fixed to the floor, or even built is as part of the shell -- and I have heard of people having to cut them out, which isn't pleasant.

Hi, I have just moved onto a new (second hand) boat that has a pump out toilet, I havnt used it yet but I would like to take it out and continue to use my composting toilet from my old boat. I have been searching through the Internet for any information about doing this but I can't seem to find any, has anyone who has removed their pump out wc got any advice? Is it a simple operation? I would like to take out the whole thing including the tank but I have heard about people just removing the toilet and sealing up the pipe. If anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated!

I did a blog post on it a few years ago:

http://captainahabswaterytales.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/its-got-to-be-worst-job-on-world.html

Rinse out tank them fill with water and Jays fluid, do this a couple of time then as the others have said. If you can’t take the tank out just leave it toped up with Jays fluid and water.

Sorry but what do you mean by leaving it 'Topped up' is it to fill the tank or just leave a bucket full inside the tank.

Just asking in case i should purchase a boat with a pump out. Thank you

Thanks! As far as I can tell it is a stainless steel tank that isn't attached to the boat. It definately doesn't look like its part of the shell.

Does it have an inspection hatch? If it does I'd look inside, get a hose to flush the walls properly, pump it out, rinse again, pump out, put hatch back, seal inlet (from existing PO toilet) and leave in place. If tank is in the way of new toilet it may be possible to move it a bit leaving the pump out and rinse out hoses still connected. If you want rid just pump out as much as possible, cap all the outlets (thick polythene and a jubilee clip works well) and take it out (assuming it will fit through existing doors etc). Expect a bit of a pong, especially when you are navigating it out and drop it dislodging the caps icecream.gif

Sorry but what do you mean by leaving it 'Topped up' is it to fill the tank or just leave a bucket full inside the tank.

Just asking in case i should purchase a boat with a pump out. Thank you

Full tank.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
10 minutes ago, Mandolin said:

Does anyone know what it would cost to get some one to remove a pump out toilet. I don’t need exact just a budget price?

Not enough info.

If it is a dump through sitting on top of the tank then a Portapotty could sit on top pf the tank so cost little. If it has a remote tank the again, depending upon what type of new toilet you have in mid it may not cost much. In both cases a good pump out, seal the tank and deal with the cosmetics.

If it is  a dump through and the tank has to come out then considerably more, depending upon type of tank.

Much depends upon what you have now and what you want to install.

Then it probably has a remote tank under a bed or something. if you don't need the space you can just seal it and take out the toilet. Most DIYers could do that. Then deal with the floor where the toilet was fitted and put in the toilet. A cassette one may be more difficult because of having t get the cassette out for emptying it.

If you really do need to take the tank out then if it is not using part of the hull then, depending on size it may come out through the doors or a window may have to come out, or it may need cutting up in place and taking out bit by bit.  As tracy implied,  expect a "we don't want the job" price.

10 minutes ago, Mandolin said:

The boat we are looking at has a macerating pump out toilet. I’m a serious newbie. We want to put in a composting or cassette toilet.

Composting toilets were about when I moved on my first boat well over 30 years ago, so were cassette toilets. Do a poll on here and ask how many people have composting and how many have a cassette. Before you fit the cassette u could consider a porta potti also. 

Our boat had a macerator with remote tank (under the bed) this was removed, the bathroom 'made good', bulkhead wall moved, a cassette toilet fitted, whilst the bed was dismantled, the flooring where the tank had been was made good, the bed was then re-built as a cross-bed and a wardrobe built.

Cost was £11,000 in 2006, I imagine it would be a fair bit more today.

Labour was at £50 + VAT per hour.

19 minutes ago, Mandolin said:

The boat we are looking at has a macerating pump out toilet. I’m a serious newbie. We want to put in a composting or cassette toilet.

Are you planning to liveaboard ?
Do you own land where you can have composting heaps ?

Do you have storage space on the boat to store 'buckets of poo' for 2 years+ ?

Do a search on the forum for composting toilets and once you have read the rules regarding composting disposal, then decide ........................

42 minutes ago, Mandolin said:

Does anyone know what it would cost to get some one to remove a pump out toilet. I don’t need exact just a budget price?

We had Aqua Narrowboats swap ours in around 2011.

Back then the cost was (from memory) around £850 to £900. The job they did was superb and it looked like the cassette loo had been installed when the boat was built.

So you must be looking at over a grand for a reputable company like them to do one now. Especially with incresing inflation of the last few months.

Edited by The Happy Nomad
Adjust price after checking with mrs HN