Removing a pump out toilet

Jerome1

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

A disgusting item that should be banned!

It allows people to pump out into ditches, usually under the cover of darkness.

Or to spray the contents of their PO tank around the walls of elsan tips. Unintentionally, but it happens.

Good advice above about living with what your boat comes with. You can then make a decision based on experence

Absolutely -

Don't blame the device on the competance (or otherwise) of the operator.

The kit needs care in their use and CLEANING down afterwards.

If in doubt use the P-U machines provided and avoide the preparation / cleaning down process.

As no-one has pointed it out so far in this thread, 'composting' toilets are nothing of the sort. They do NOT compost the shit, that is down to YOU to do, later, once you've emptied it. Also, composting bog users are always terribly coy about what they do with the urine. This is because they illegally pour in in the cut or in the hedgerows but don't like to admit it. 

47 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

A disgusting item that should be banned!

It allows people to pump out into ditches, usually under the cover of darkness.

Or to spray the contents of their PO tank around the walls of elsan tips. Unintentionally, but it happens.

Good advice above about living with what your boat comes with. You can then make a decision based on experence

The same can be said for cassettes and composting, in fact its easier, you dont need to buy and carry a pump.

• Greenie 1

Gypsy Caravan Compost Toilet – FreeRangeDesigns

My great aunts had a cottage and in the garden they installed a railway carriage  at the end of which they added a loo - not unlike the photo above (although it was smarter with a mahogany surround). We wre instructed to use a small bucket for liquids and the main device required you sprinkled a handful of sawdust into the bucket after use. Once a week the gardener would remove the bucket and dig a hole somewhere in the vegetable patch and bury the contents. There were always fresh vegetables  to hand...

I've got the bucket, now must find the seat.

4 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Gypsy Caravan Compost Toilet – FreeRangeDesigns

My great aunts had a cottage and in the garden they installed a railway carriage  at the end of which they added a loo - not unlike the photo above (although it was smarter with a mahogany surround). We wre instructed to use a small bucket for liquids and the main device required you sprinkled a handful of sawdust into the bucket after use. Once a week the gardener would remove the bucket and dig a hole somewhere in the vegetable patch and bury the contents. There were always fresh vegetables  to hand...

I've got the bucket, now must find the seat.

Nothing changes :

One very similar to this (we also had a 3-seater) was in a 'lean-to' in our family home - the house was built in 1660 and was the village manor house.

Ours was on a brick base with 'hatches'  in front of each seat so the the contents could be shovelled out when necessary.

The social history of the toilet - England's Puzzle

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Nothing changes :

One very similar to this (we also had a 3-seater) was in a 'lean-to' in our family home - the house was built in 1660 and was the village manor house.

Ours was on a brick base with 'hatches'  in front of each seat so the the contents could be shovelled out when necessary.

My parents house was built in the 1620s. As a kid we had a toilet in the garden. We did our business in what was an old creosote tin. We sprinkled some pink powder over it each time we " Went " 

It was dark evenings getting there so we had a torch or candle, obviously there was a pottie inder each bed, how many times did I forget to put it back under and step on it next morning emptying contents  lol. The contents were taken away weekly by the bin men. The bin wagon had two side, one they tipped the dustbin contents into and the other everybodies toilet contents. Mains drainage was put into the village when I was still in junior school and we had a bathroom built downstairs with a toilet in!! That was the end of the tin bath in front of the fire and trips into the garden to the bog.

Kids today would probably moan if they had a telly less than eight feet wide lol.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Nothing changes :

Reminds me when we took a mini bus of Danish school children through Kalingrad in 1991.

We stopped when we saw a remote school to ask to use their toilets and were directed across to the corner of a field. 
The picture above is a luxury in comparison. 

• Haha 1