Lock furniture Makers.

the barnacle

Featured Posts

I was wondering if anyone knows who makes lock furniture or replaces lock gates - see on the internet Hargreaves lock Gates but thought in the past i read about a company in Staffordshire, the reason i ask might sound strange but i am thinking of putting an old lock arm in the garden as a bench, supported on sandstone blocks - i have thought of making my own as i know it will just look like a long square secton but would prefer one which was used and has history.

I think BW used to make the ones for the Grand Union at Bulbourne yard above Marsworth flight. I guess they contract it out now probably.

The name Bradley workshops comes to mind but I'm not sure where that is.

I was wondering if anyone knows who makes lock furniture or replaces lock gates - see on the internet Hargreaves lock Gates but thought in the past i read about a company in Staffordshire, the reason i ask might sound strange but i am thinking of putting an old lock arm in the garden as a bench, supported on sandstone blocks - i have thought of making my own as i know it will just look like a long square secton but would prefer one which was used and has history.

Bradley workshop.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us/our-work/engineering/building-lock-gates

I don't know how much an arm would cost. I know that a gate costs £16k.

:)

At Bradely there is a big storeroom holding the casting pattern for just about every item of metalwork on the canal system. I don't know who actually does the casting, and I do hope that CaRT are looking after this stuff and do not let the building burn down or decide to put the whole lot in a skip to save money.

.............Dave

Bradley workshop.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us/our-work/engineering/building-lock-gates

I don't know how much an arm would cost. I know that a gate costs £16k.

:)

It'll cost and arm and a leg :rolleyes:

I would think the best thing would be to check winter stoppages for gate replacement and try to get hold of one they are removing. Would be nice to have one that has been used a lot :)

Of you got a balance beam from a narrow lock you might be able to get one with little holes where people have shoved the gate shut with the cabin shaft (if anyone still does that) that would be nice.

• Greenie 1

I believe that since the closure of Bulbourne works that all broad lock gates are usually made at Stanley Ferry, (I think Bradley concentrates on gates for narrow locks now). Happy to be corrected if I've been misinformed.

We had a long talk with someone who used to work for BW who was responsible for the installation of new gates on GU locks at the time they first started being sourced from Stanley Ferry, and apparently there were major problems due to the very different geometries of Southern locks versus those around the North. Apparently some of what was delivered simply could not be used, and for a while that that could had to be modified heavily on site. I think they said the first pair of gates fitted took twice as long as a locally made gate.

Apparently this prompted having to completely re-specify how they got measured up. For years those at Bulbourne had been modifying dimensions they had been given, knowing them to be incorrect, but having the experience to adjust them to make gates that actually fitted!

I would think the best thing would be to check winter stoppages for gate replacement and try to get hold of one they are removing. Would be nice to have one that has been used a lot

Simply wait until the next one breaks oiff unexpectedly in the Buckby flight. The way things have been recently you may not need to wait long!

Apparently this prompted having to completely re-specify how they got measured up. For years those at Bulbourne had been modifying dimensions they had been given, knowing them to be incorrect, but having the experience to adjust them to make gates that actually fitted!

I remember talking to the engineer who was called in to solve this problem. However, he was only there for a short while before the whole operation was transferred.

On another tack, I wonder what happened to all the wonderful, massive machinery they used at Bulbourne for making lock gates.

Ask CRT if they have some old ones the want to get rid of. They might refer you to a refuse disposal contractor. You will probably have to pay carriage.at least. Alternatively, find out where they are replacing lock gates and go to site and speak to the workmen - it might only cost 'a pint of beer' so to speak.

I bought a load of BW standard tanalised larch piling planks from their 'official' supplier to build a landing stage many years ago .

They dropped them off when delivering a lorry load to BW. locally.

Years ago I went on the Icicle Rally up the Bradley arm to the workshops, it was a fascinating visit, and a good pint or four in the pub next door.

The revolving boat cradle in the dry dock is a very clear memory.

The cradle is still there, except the floor has been extended over the top to make more space for gate work

Richard

Thank you to every one who has repplied it is much appreciated - thankyou it is the Bradley workshop i was thinking of - i just like the idea of a removed section of arm as a bench next to my hull ornament - i have the means to transport one and a forklift at home so will ask those that you have mentioned - once again thanks and if i do get one i will post pics of my next mad moment wink.png

At Bradely there is a big storeroom holding the casting pattern for just about every item of metalwork on the canal system. I don't know who actually does the casting, and I do hope that CaRT are looking after this stuff and do not let the building burn down or decide to put the whole lot in a skip to save money.

.............Dave

The castings are all done in West Bromwich, most paddle gear is SG iron.

It'll cost and arm and a leg rolleyes.gif

I would think the best thing would be to check winter stoppages for gate replacement and try to get hold of one they are removing. Would be nice to have one that has been used a lot smile.png

Of you got a balance beam from a narrow lock you might be able to get one with little holes where people have shoved the gate shut with the cabin shaft (if anyone still does that) that would be nice.

Have a greenie for that. I do agree.

Where are you now? We are moored at Odiham Castle.

The castings are all done in West Bromwich, most paddle gear is SG iron.

Just to save ohers the effort of Googling:

Ductile iron, also known as ductile cast iron, nodular cast iron, spheroidal graphite iron, spheroidal graphite cast iron and SG iron, is a type of cast iron invented in 1943 by Keith Millis.

Somewhere on he T&M between Burton on Trent and Middlewich (on the RH side heading 'West') there is, what appears to be a C&RT 'scrapyard' it has dozens of old, broken gates, balance beams, hinges, assorted bits of metal work and woodwork.

There are no buildings and when we have been passed no one about.

It looks like the sort of yard you are looking for.

It is way out in the countryside and just between a road and the T&M - I just cannot recall where it was near.

Somewhere on he T&M between Burton on Trent and Middlewich (on the RH side heading 'West') there is, what appears to be a C&RT 'scrapyard' it has dozens of old, broken gates, balance beams, hinges, assorted bits of metal work and woodwork.

There are no buildings and when we have been passed no one about.

It looks like the sort of yard you are looking for.

It is way out in the countryside and just between a road and the T&M - I just cannot recall where it was near.

Yup, I can't remember either, but do remember looking at it and thinking what a lot of lovely firewood.

I know, sacrilege.

It's just outside Rhodeheath. The cheshire locks seem to have had a lot of attention over the winter and the C&RT yard at RhodeHeath seems to be where the old ones are being stored. There were around a dozen there two weeks ago.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Rode+Heath,+Stoke-on-Trent,+Cheshire+East/@53.1074478,-2.2881546,528m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x487a5b8025063b47:0xb871e045498012f8!8m2!3d53.112792!4d-2.29173

It's just outside Rhodeheath. The cheshire locks seem to have had a lot of attention over the winter and the C&RT yard at RhodeHeath seems to be where the old ones are being stored. There were around a dozen there two weeks ago.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Rode+Heath,+Stoke-on-Trent,+Cheshire+East/@53.1074478,-2.2881546,528m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x487a5b8025063b47:0xb871e045498012f8!8m2!3d53.112792!4d-2.29173

Well done - that looks the place.

The little 'layby' sort of place just where it says 'Knutsford Rd'