Cratch cover..... Why?

kremmen

Featured Posts

Serious question.

I have just removed my Cratch cover ( 1st time since buying the boat 4 years ago ) so that I can get one of the zips repaired.

I will still do this but wondered why I should replace it as I quite like the look without.

I know that it keeps the coal dry in wet weather and sort of disguises my coal supply in winter but I could cobble up a cover for my coal bunker (actually one of those large builders flexible plastic baskets ).

I also realise that the wood board is in better condition because it is under cover but that's about all I can think of.

Anything I missed ?

Paul

I think they are a bit superfluous really. When I lived on a narrow boat I spent a couple of years with a cratch cover but when i removed it to make a new board for it I never replaced it and when I sold the boat after 10 years it still had no cover. The extra light and ease of entry to the boat made it not worth having.

I did have an unusual boat which had a sliding hatch at the front as well as at the back so doing away with the cover made the front doors more useable.

I rebuilt the board using scaffolding planks.

Edited by magnetman

It may depend upon where the cratch area drains to. Our boat, a Reeves hull has a deep cratch. The water tank is where many boats have the gas bottles. To drain the cratch there are two tubes running the length of the boat to the bilge at the stern.

I have the choice of fitting an automatic bilge pump, then worrying that it will work as required or having a cratch cover. As the boat is a leisure boat and left in a marina, I prefer a cratch cover.

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

Best of both worlds for a leisure boater is to have a cratch cover fitted between trips, to everything inside clean and dry, but when boating stow the cover in a locker or leave it in the car, so you have the benefit of easier access and more light.

Are they to stop the front doors from rotting? I wish someone could fit me some steel front doors then I'd get rid of my cratch.

Gently rub upon a significant pile of twenty pound notes whilst making that wish and I feel certain ye shall be so endowed.

However, I already have metal front doors, however, I rather like what my cratch brings to the table, particularly in winter cruising. It has plenty of light access and when I asked it about theives and vagabonds it said they were scum, so I'm not sure mine is a burglar's friend.

Why even ask the question. You either like em or you don't. It's a personal thing and why worry what others think it's not their boat. If you don't like it leave it off if you do put it back. Simple really.

• Greenie 2

Why even ask the question. You either like em or you don't. It's a personal thing and why worry what others think it's not their boat. If you don't like it leave it off if you do put it back. Simple really.

Thanks for this useful post.

The reason for asking is to get people with different experience to myself to advise me. It initially is a look thing but I didn't know if I was missing any reason to keep it. Honestly as I have never been without a cratch cover I wasn't aware that in winter it would stop draughts..... logical really but as I never suffered from draughts I would not have thought of it.

At the moment I will be going commando ( cover wise ) in summer and cover up in winter now that I have my repair.

Thanks for all the input.

Paul

Edited by kremmen
  • Greenie 1

Our boat came with one. I was, in theory, not a fan but now we have it it's extremly usefull.

I mainly use it as a "snug"

viz: pull table down with chair and sundowner. The rear flaps not only keep rain and wind out they keep the sun off too. The metal front doors into boat are "stable" type so I can shut three quarters of em and put my orders through the top quarter one to the lounge for a pint. The hot fire in lounge blasts outwards through the quarter open door and keeps me warm on chilly nights.

If telly in lounge is objectional, I close last quarter of stable doors.... smile.png Only open it for a pint order and receipt of same.

20150427_195749_resized_zpssubioedp.jpg

Edited by mark99

When we had the cats it was great, we used to keep the covered litter tray out there and which ever side of the boat was on the tow path we'd leave the back zipper up about a foot and they could come & go as they pleased.

They would both want out about 10 ish in the evening, one would use the loo and come right back in; Zebby wouldn't be seen again until the wee hours of the morning; so if we were both wanting to go to bed we could shut and lock the front doors and not have to worry about him being left out in the rain overnight (no cat flaps in front doors) he'd happily curl up on a wee kitty blanket which I kept on top of the litter tray tongue.png

Since we lost both cats, the front cratch cover has been rolled up and tied to the top board, it will be put back into use this winter and again used additional storage for coal and drying out wood.

Although our front doors are wood they are virtually draft proof, the glass in the doors are double glazed. I get more of a draft from the mushroom vents than I do the front doors.

Our cratch cover was put to sleep last summer (old age). Over the winter I really missed it and now have another 2nd hand needing minor modification. You love them or hate them. Personally, I like them as a shed / greenhouse etc and have seen some that look great and are obviously well utilised.

A place I could have a smoke out of the rain :). Plus Dave's woodworking stuff was stored on the front deck which probably wouldn't have taken kindly to rainfall. With steel front doors folks breaking in under the cover of our cratch cover was never an issue - we were always more worried about them prising open our Louvre bus windows! (7 years - didn't happen)

I have to say it was lovely in the summer to dismantle the cratch and make the front cabin a more open space.

Still hating the past tense :(

....................................If telly in lounge is objectional, I close last quarter of stable doors.... smile.png Only open it for a pint order and receipt of same..................

It just shows how wrong people are that think living on a boat is uncivilised

I'm quite surprised that someone with a "bote", has a lounge in it. Let alone a telly.

Bote = "From the latin word BOAT. A vessel in which many hours are spend on the water, along with most of your income and beer"

I think, on balance, the telly would be gone if it were me on my tod.

This one has a lounge and five tele's.

I wonder where it ended up?

Edited by mark99

I think it much depends on the design of the cover. If you get one with large windows and large roll-up doors the disadvantages mentioned are not so significant. I agree with all the benefits also mentioned.