Boat on fire, North Oxford canal.

Southern Star

Featured Posts

A chap on Narrow boat users group has posted that his boat was broken into today, near bridge 81. Coincidence?

Edit to say, on the North Oxford

Yes. There isn't a bridge 81 anyway near where this fire was.

JP

Edit to add that Bridge 81 on the North Oxford is between Hillmorton and Braunston so more than ten miles away.

Edited by Captain Pegg

You can get free apps which simply act as a GPS on your phone. Eight-figure grid reference, OR lat/long, at the touch of a button. Got the Air Ambliance to us on the K&A 2 years ago, using that.

There's a lot to be said for a smartphone sometimes.

Edit: Might not be free - possibly 99p, which I consider free.

Edited by Loafer

You can get free apps which simply act as a GPS on your phone. Eight-figure grid reference, OR lat/long, at the touch of a button. Got the Air Ambliance to us on the K&A 2 years ago, using that.

There's a lot to be said for a smartphone sometimes.

Edit: Might not be free - possibly 99p, which I consider free.

Free on Android: Send my Location

Richard

My understanding is that if you dial 112 instead of 999, they can triangulate your phone location.

Number aside, this has been discussed before and triangulating to get the phone location is a myth IIRC. The best they can achieve is to identify the location of the cell your phone is connected via, and acquire the exact position of the mast serving it. This will not be the same as where you and your phone are.

As I understand it, smartphones automatically send their location to emergency services.

No expert, but certainly in mine you have to actively turn location services on before it has any good idea where it is. Generally I have them turned off, unless I need them, because using the GPS seems to be one of the things that trashes the battery fastest.

Free on Android: Send my Location

Richard

Free on any smartphone with web access, find your nearest 3 postcodes and plot them on the map so you can choose the most appropriate one to use

http://gb7dl.co.uk/getpostcode/

I maintain a system that has to plot lat/long for every postcode in the uk so it's fairly simple for me to use the data in reverse (supply a lat/long and do a bit of maths to work out the closest postcodes)

I don't save positions searched for so the only person that will ever get your position from the system is you.

Edited by Jess--

As I understand it, smartphones automatically send their location to emergency services.

As has been stated a couple of times in this thread that is INCORRECT. See post #18 especially.

For a start not all smart phones have GPS capability and do not have it turned on all the time.

It is possible for the Emergency Services to request the cell identity a call is made from, but that can cover an area from one Hall at the NEC to hundreds of hectares around here. A request for triangulation can be made, but this can take time to set up, needs the phone to be transmitting permanently and is not that accurate in many areas where mobile coverage is patchy.

Free on any smartphone with web access, find your nearest 3 postcodes and plot them on the map so you can choose the most appropriate one to use

I maintain a system that has to plot lat/long for every postcode in the uk so it's fairly simple for me to use the data in reverse (supply a lat/long and do a bit of maths to work out the closest postcodes)

I don't save positions searched for so the only person that will ever get your position from the system is you.

Not much good in many rural areas where there is no mobile coverage and/or poor internet availability.

Very neat but didn't get Mercia quite right, gave DE65 6DN instead of 6DW. Don't suppose it would make a vast difference to the Emergency Services.

Thanks for sharing that.

OFF-TOPIC how did you get on with calling 999? On the couple of occasions we have called the police, it's been hard to communicate where on the canal we were

Richard

On the one occasion we had to call Warwickshire Police, they knew all the bridge numbers and arrived in just a few minutes.

As has been stated a couple of times in this thread that is INCORRECT. See post #18 especially.

For a start not all smart phones have GPS capability and do not have it turned on all the time.

It is possible for the Emergency Services to request the cell identity a call is made from, but that can cover an area from one Hall at the NEC to hundreds of hectares around here. A request for triangulation can be made, but this can take time to set up, needs the phone to be transmitting permanently and is not that accurate in many areas where mobile coverage is patchy.

Not much good in many rural areas where there is no mobile coverage and/or poor internet availability.

A friend of mine, a paramedic found a chap in a dyke in the middle of the marshes like that, but the chap had to keep his mobile phone open for them to do it. He was in a helicopter at the time.

Passed this boat a couple of days ago it has now floated out and sunk in the middle of the canal, one long rope tying it to bank, various rubbish from the boat floating around it, quite shallow on the side as you go around it. We carried on to Ashby canal and there is another n.b. sank there, that looks like its been there a while, again in middle of canal. Would need a couple of tractors to pull that one out as bank not very accessible.

Passed this boat a couple of days ago it has now floated out and sunk in the middle of the canal, one long rope tying it to bank, various rubbish from the boat floating around it, quite shallow on the side as you go around it. We carried on to Ashby canal and there is another n.b. sank there, that looks like its been there a while, again in middle of canal. Would need a couple of tractors to pull that one out as bank not very accessible.

Email from CRT this morning:

Notice Alert

Oxford Canal

Starts At: Bridge 4, Tusses Bridge

Ends At: Hawkesbury Lock

Friday 19 February 2016 16:15 until further notice

Type: Navigation Restriction

Reason: Boat damage

Original message:

Please be advised that there is burnt and sunken boat between Bridge 4 and Hawkesbury Junction partially blocking the navigation.

Please pass the craft on the offside and with care.