Widewater Lock - boat sunk 18/1 [Was Denham Deep]

Scholar Gypsy

Featured Posts

Notice AlertGrand Union Canal Starts At: Lock 87, Denham Lock Ends At: Lock 87, Denham LockMonday 18 January 2016 07:00 until further noticeType: Navigation Closure Reason: Boat damageOriginal message: A boat has sunk in Denham Lock (Lock 87) on the Grand Union Canaland the lock is currently closed to navigation. We're working with the owner toraise the boat as soon as possible and we will update this notice once the lock hasbeen re-opened.

Picture on facebook, looks like a straight forward cill job. It doesnt look to deep in the water at the bow so as long as they don't drop it when they lift it the back half may be clean.

Thanks. Yes here's hoping it's only a wet front. IIRC they only recently (last season) fixed the lower gates which were leaky.

I think it may have been a bit deeper, looks like the lock has been drained.

Let's not be pedantic though wink.png

Thoughts, for what they are worth, are with the owner. sad.png

Actually you may be right. I don't think the cill there is that "deep" when water is at normal lower level.

Edited by mark99

she was a single hander and RCR refloated it.

That's good

Thoughts, for what they are worth, are with the owner. sad.png

I didn't look close enough, you can see the mud in the bottom of the lock on the right

Actually you may be right. I don't think the cill there is that "deep" when water is at normal lower level.

Actually I don't think the lower pound has been dropped, or if it has, not by much.

That lock has an 8 foot fall, and I think that is about what we are seeing in the picture.

I didn't look close enough, you can see the mud in the bottom of the lock on the right

I'm not seeing that that could be mud at the bottom of the lock. How could it be, as the front end of the boat is clearly in at least 3 feet of water.

I agree something looks odd in the picture, but the fact it is badly out of focus isn't helping.

I'm kind of surprised no attempt has been made to (say) tie a centre line to something solid, to reduce any chance the boat could roll over sideways, but perhaps it is grounded on enough that is thought impossible.

Looks more like a reflection of tbe lock wall in the water, scummy water mind.

Yes I think it it has to be.

I hope this never happens to us, but at the same time if it does I guess you just pick yourself up and get on with sorting it.

What did they do to refloat, stop planks in, pump out the lock down to the gunnel and then empty the boat?

Or build a tarp dam round the bow and then just pump out the boat from there with the lock as it is?

Daniel

I heard it wasn't going to be until tomorrow or the day after. It was fully submerged at the bow/cockpit when I saw it this afternoon with the water level approx 1/3 up at the front doors. Looked like the rudder skeg was bent up unless it was built that way.