Bit shaken up

Ricco1

Featured Posts

I've just had a fire on my boat. I was running the generator to charge the batteries, having a cuppa. Heard this loud bang at the back of the boat. Went to the back saw that the battery charger was billowing out white smoke. Quick decision; disconnected the generator, cut through the wire from the charger to the batteries with a pair of scissors, unplugged the charger from the socket, grabbed the lead and dropped the charger in the cut. The smoke was horrible, I can taste it on the back of my throat but I've opened the doors and windows, it's cleared now. I think I've been lucky!

Are chargers prone to doing this? Also the wires that I cut through are live. I'm going away for 2 months tomorrow so the isolator will be switched off. Assume I'm OK just taping up the ends of the wires ready for a new charger when I get back?

Funny how these things happen, I've been looking to get a new charger, one that suits a generator better than this one, which automatically goes into float mode.

Phew!

Get some fresh air to help your lungs, have a cup of tea or two and go back to the wires in an hour or so once you have had a chance to calm down a bit and clear your head. It will make more sense when the adrenaline has dissipated

Good work on your quick action

Richard

Generator is a Generac, American made, quite highly regarded apparently. The charger is ShenZhen RitarPower co. Ltd. Quality Chinese gear I guess. It still stinks of that horrile smoke, even after being in the cut for half an hour.

Generator is a Generac, American made, quite highly regarded apparently. The charger is ShenZhen RitarPower co. Ltd. Quality Chinese gear I guess. It still stinks of that horrile smoke, even after being in the cut for half an hour.

Bugger the equipment, how are you?

Richard

I agree with Richard, much tea needed and don't do it again. What would I do with one less to argue with?

A gracious post, Mr. H, and fully deserving a greeno.

Even though I am sure you meant "fewer".

Very nasty indeed, but most importantly you are OK and i am very pleased to hear that. You can replace the battery charger. I agree with others that if you have inhaled a bit of smoke then get as much air as you can. If you feel unwell at all it would be prudent to get checked out. amazing how things just happen so quickly?

Would be tempted to put some connector blocks on the end of the cables you had to cut, then tape them up until you can replace them.

Must be something in the air today; I fell over on our pontoon this morning and did the splits. I swore a great deal ;)

..............................The charger is ShenZhen RitarPower co. Ltd. Quality Chinese gear I guess. ...................

Not a brand I am familiar with :-)), and after your experience nor will I be in future.

Amazing how much smoke can come from electronic kit, sounds like no flames :-)) just the terrible smell of charred polyurethane wire varnish.

Pleased that you are fine.

Not a brand I am familiar with :-)), and after your experience nor will I be in future.

Amazing how much smoke can come from electronic kit, sounds like no flames :-)) just the terrible smell of charred polyurethane wire varnish.

Pleased that you are fine.

I hate that smell, reminds me of when motors used to burn out.

Glad you are OK. That's the main thing.

Agree with Catweasel, put some "chocolate block" connectors on the ends of the cut cables to keep them apart. Tape them up and they will be fine when you get back from your travels.

The generator will probably be OK. You could test it with a table lamp or similar.

Then buy the best charger you can afford, preferably a well known brand.

Before totally blaming the charger, do you know what the waveform is from the generator and how consistent it is? I've come across several pieces of otherwise good quality kit that has been destroyed by generator outputs. They are often possibly worse than "quasi" inverters.

We had an inverter catch fire while on the boat, the isolator needed the deckboard lifting and in the heat of the moment I also shut the engine down because I wasn't sure whether the alternator would be affected by turning the isolator off, so it was a bit awkward to say the least!!! Since then the inverter has its own isolator which is easily reached. I imagine the battery charger had a fuse, if not it should, and if it doesn't necessarily blow then it might need pliers to pull out if it got really hot. The mega fuses need a spanner to remove, so not ideal to remove in a hurry. Cutting what might be a thick cable with scissors in a panic is hardly ideal.

Worth everyone thinking about how they can isolate an electrical/electronic component - ANY component - in a hurry, safely. That includes battery monitor, devices you think are too simple to go faulty, etc etc

Glad to hear you are okay and that the damage is minimal.

You're lucky there was a loud bang. Without that to bring the fire to your attention, it could have been worse.

You might want to do an end-to-end visual inspection of the wires you cut, and check them out with a multi-meter to make sure there aren't any faults. I know I would, just because they have been involved in an "incident" and you don't really know yet how far the collateral damage might extend.

Edited by Paul G2

Thanks for all the kind words. 2 brews later I've had a look at the damage. I can't get inside the box that the charger is housed in, would have been interesting to see which bit went but never mind, it's in the bin now. The fuse survived. 25 amps, about right for a 20 amp charger I think. The battery isolator does isolate the cut wire so no worries there. Got a couple of months to get a new one now!

Loud bang probably means large capacitor in a switched mode power supply died (consistent with lots of foul white smoke too).

Under specced or poor quality caps tend to be one of the biggest problems with chinese brand equipment.

Not nice at all. We very rarely leave the boat with the charger running, and are often considered odd for having a battery isolator that isolates everything including the radio and bilge pump.

However I'm glad you and boat where where fine, and as you say, an opportunity to get that new charger...

Daniel

We had an inverter catch fire while on the boat, the isolator needed the deckboard lifting and in the heat of the moment I also shut the engine down because I wasn't sure whether the alternator would be affected by turning the isolator off, so it was a bit awkward to say the least!!! Since then the inverter has its own isolator which is easily reached. I imagine the battery charger had a fuse, if not it should, and if it doesn't necessarily blow then it might need pliers to pull out if it got really hot. The mega fuses need a spanner to remove, so not ideal to remove in a hurry. Cutting what might be a thick cable with scissors in a panic is hardly ideal.

Worth everyone thinking about how they can isolate an electrical/electronic component - ANY component - in a hurry, safely. That includes battery monitor, devices you think are too simple to go faulty, etc etc

Rubber handled axe no seriously isolators are the best but boat builders use the minimum as do we self installers .