Fatality on the K&A

Tuscan

Featured Posts

I think the discussion of stoves is quite benign.

I'd be objecting too if the thread turns into an anit-CRT bashfest, or another string of personal squabbling

Yes not really offensive, perhaps a little insensitive given the very recent death and the possibility that people might perhaps be watching the thread for more news of someone that they may have met along the cut.

It just seemed to jar a little....as in

"I see there's been a fatal boat fire perhaps caused by a stove."

"Oh that's unfortunate, anyone know where I can get a Squirrel in red?"

Edited by gary955

Well we all duly expressed sorrow about the death of a total stranger, nothing more to be done there. What's wrong with the thread continuing about stoves, which was judged to be a likely cause of the fire?

It would have gone the same way in the pub with a few people discussing it, just like here.

Well we all duly expressed sorrow about the death of a total stranger, nothing more to be done there. What's wrong with the thread continuing about stoves, which was judged to be a likely cause of the fire?

It would have gone the same way in the pub with a few people discussing it, just like here.

Indeed, I'll drink to that,

Rog

Quite. Except we're not in a pub, we're on a forum, possibly read by friends or relations of the deceased. When someone close to you dies, you (quite unreasonably) expect the world to stop for a time to mark their passing, it might be a little distressing to find that your friends life touched others so little. It's not up to me to dictate how others should contribute to a thread so I'll butt out now. I just wondered if perhaps a thread in the equipment section, properly titled so that others interested might better find it, might have been a better place to discuss the aesthetic merits of various stoves.

Quite. Except we're not in a pub, we're on a forum, possibly read by friends or relations of the deceased. When someone close to you dies, you (quite unreasonably) expect the world to stop for a time to mark their passing, it might be a little distressing to find that your friends life touched others so little. It's not up to me to dictate how others should contribute to a thread so I'll butt out now. I just wondered if perhaps a thread in the equipment section, properly titled so that others interested might better find it, might have been a better place to discuss the aesthetic merits of various stoves.

No. Just no.

No. Just no.

Why not? Gary's suggestion seems quite reasonable. Perhaps a kind and industrious Mod could perform surgery to separate the parts of the thread which deal with the death and with the comparison of stoves.

Are red enamel one?

Rainbow-hued I'd guess.

Why not? Gary's suggestion seems quite reasonable. Perhaps a kind and industrious Mod could perform surgery to separate the parts of the thread which deal with the death and with the comparison of stoves.

Rainbow-hued I'd guess.

Please no, Leave it alone, it how it goes.

Cept it aint a squirrel..............

Tim

American squirrel - different breed.

Honestly, I wouldn't know a squirrel from a wabbit. I wanted to see what kind of stove y'all were talking about so I googled it and came across a photo of a pretty red Squirrel - supposedly model 1410 available in the UK.... and the photo was from a UK website.

It is a pretty stove though, don't you think? I just glanced at the photo and thought it had a small lower door, until Mike mentioned it didn't. I guess I need to focus better. I agree that lower doors are essential. Sometimes you need the added draft to get things going.

Judging by the depth, length of that stove, it is a wood burner only. It probably has a flat plate instead of a grate to burn the wood on, which is where your clear the ash from, so it woodn't need a bottom door.

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1

Judging by the depth, length of that stove, it is a wood burner only. It probably has a flat plate instead of a grate to burn the wood on, which is where your clear the ash from, so it woodn't need a bottom door.

I can't see where the burning wood gets its air from though Biz. Can you? No top inlet? No bottom inlet? How' it work?

(It does look like wood burning in there)

I can't see where the burning wood gets its air from though Biz. Can you? No top inlet? No bottom inlet? How' it work?

(It does look like wood burning in there)

The lower air control below the door glass is not clear in the photo but it must have one or it couldn't burn anything. I Think I can see a slider control, low down, in which case the furnace plate would end a couple of inches back from the door and the air swirls in taking an S route, through the slider, up, round and over the plate and through the wood fuel.

The lower air control below the door glass is not clear in the photo but it must have one or it couldn't burn anything. I Think I can see a slider control, low down, in which case the furnace plate would end a couple of inches back from the door and the air swirls in taking an S route, through the slider, up, round and over the plate and through the wood fuel.

Sounds like a wrap. Ta!

Honestly, I wouldn't know a squirrel from a wabbit. I wanted to see what kind of stove y'all were talking about so I googled it and came across a photo of a pretty red Squirrel - supposedly model 1410 available in the UK.... and the photo was from a UK website.

No. That appears to be an American-made Vermont Castings Aspen Non-Catalytic Wood Burning Stove (available in Classic Black and Bordeaux).

http://www.vermontcastings.com/Products/Aspen-Non-Catalytic-Wood-Burning-Stove.aspx

This is a Morso 1410, available in dark gray only

http://morso.co.uk/product/morso-1410/

Morso%20Squirrel%201410%20Stove.jpg

Edited by David Mack

I haven't yet seen the facts as to why exactly the fatality occurred. Have I missed the post? Was it really anything to do with the stove? Was there a working smoke alarm? Was there a working CO alarm? (How old were the batteries in them?)

Impossible to answer.

I CAN say though, that a friend of mine was woken in the night by a CO alarm sounding in the boat next door. On investigation, said boater next door was found alive and well, sound asleep, right next to the sounding alarm.

Impossible to answer.

I CAN say though, that a friend of mine was woken in the night by a CO alarm sounding in the boat next door. On investigation, said boater next door was found alive and well, sound asleep, right next to the sounding alarm.

Krist, he must have been right trollied!